“great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Altitude Guest House

Altitude Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Addis Ababa
Altitude Guest House
You added Altitude Guest House to your Saves list
Compound 3 | Bole Rwanda, Addis Ababa 2, Ethiopia   |
Ranked #39 of 119 Addis Ababa B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

This is a great option for those wanting a laid back and friendly stay in Addis. The guest house is run by an Ethiopian / Irish couple who are incredibly helpful and friendly - it really feels like you are staying in their home. The rooms are clean and comfortable and nothing seems to be too much trouble. Really recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

As a solo traveler who had never been to Addis Ababa before, I couldn't have chosen a better guest house. Eddie and Liza were so welcoming; I felt right at home as soon as I arrived. The location is great, the house is always clean, the breakfast selection is excellent, the internet is fast, and Eddie provided me with a SIM card the day I arrived so that I could use my mobile. I spent time with Eddie, Liza, Amanu, and the staff every day, and I always felt like I was part of the family. Eddie even took me up into the Entoto Mountains one morning to see the great scenery and wildlife, and he also connected me with their outstanding guide Yonas. I will absolutely stay at Altitude again when I return to Addis!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed at Altitude in November 2011 for a couple of nights, and returned the following week after a trip to the wonderful Negash Lodge. Returning felt like coming home, in a good way! The house is comfortable and clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, and Lisa and Eddie are warm, welcoming, helpful with information and facilities, fun to spend time with, and really make the whole experience exceptionally comfortable. After almost 5 weeks away from home, travelling solo, I could have found their welcome claustrophobic, but both Eddie and Lisa manage to combine natural friendliness and empathy with professionalism and courtesy - a really rare combination. We were so busy chatting on my last day in Addis that I almost missed my flight to Mozambique! I wholeheartedly recommend this guest house, and wish to return again some day in the future, both to Addis and to Altitude.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I found Altitude to be quite a find and was very pleased. Eddie and Liza are great and their staff are very helpful. The house is clean and neat and if it doesn't meet your needs just mention it and they will work to resolve. There was a problem with the bathroom shower draining that annoyed me, but I got over that after I asked about it. The internet always worked and the location is very central and for someone traveling on a budget after adopting you can't beat it. I'm returning in a few weeks and look forward to my stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
North Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

As a single woman traveling through Ethiopia for the first time I could not have chosen a better "home" to stay in. Eddie, Liza and the staff were very friendly and go above and beyond in order to ensure that their guests feel comfortable.They were very patient with me and generous, making several phone calls on my behalf when I had either planned badly or not at all, forgetting that in developing countries...EVERYTHING takes longer and nothing is guaranteed. They provided me with a trusty, knowledgable and very friendly guide, Hadgu, who took me on a tour of the city and they helped make arrangements whenever I needed a ride anywhere. Until the day I became a big girl and felt more confident acquiring these things for myself.

When you enter the Guest House you learn very quickly that it is not only their business but their home. The owners share common areas such as living/dining room with their guests and at no time is anyone left feeling intrusive. The guest rooms are well appointed with simple furniture, a comfortable bed, tv and closet. The house and the grounds are cleaned/maintained daily. The power goes out regularly but that is an Ethiopia thing.

If you are looking for western standards you will be disappointed almost anywhere you go in Ethiopia. If you are willing to let go of certain amenities and open your heart and mind to the culture and the people you are in for an enlightening experience. Ethiopian hospitality is unrivaled in it's enthusiasm and sincerity if not it's creature comforts. Throw in a little "luck'o the irish" and you can't loose.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Very relaxed, clean and comfortable place to stay, with a friendly atmosphere....Eddie and his wife are lovely people and made us very welcome.....they had a good insight into the workings of Addis and arranged an excellent guide for us, who showed us about the city, including the markets....

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

I stayed here for a few nights in january before travelling south and it was comfortable and friendly. There was a good european breakfast included which was nice and the owners were friendly and willing to answer any questions i had.

Very close to the airport and bole road and bus links to other part of the city.

One day there was a surprise when a monkey went through the compound ..not a regular event in the centre of the city so very amusing.

Water pressure was a little poor sometimes and you had to ask owners to put on a pump but then it worked well.
Satellite TV in the room with decent range of channels.
Clean and comfortable not luxury but pleasant.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Been to Altitude Guest House? Share your experiences!