“Great and I'm Returning” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Altitude Guest House

Altitude Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Addis Ababa
Altitude Guest House
You added Altitude Guest House to your Saves list
Compound 3 | Bole Rwanda, Addis Ababa 2, Ethiopia   |
Ranked #40 of 120 Addis Ababa B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great and I'm Returning”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I found Altitude to be quite a find and was very pleased. Eddie and Liza are great and their staff are very helpful. The house is clean and neat and if it doesn't meet your needs just mention it and they will work to resolve. There was a problem with the bathroom shower draining that annoyed me, but I got over that after I asked about it. The internet always worked and the location is very central and for someone traveling on a budget after adopting you can't beat it. I'm returning in a few weeks and look forward to my stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

North Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

As a single woman traveling through Ethiopia for the first time I could not have chosen a better "home" to stay in. Eddie, Liza and the staff were very friendly and go above and beyond in order to ensure that their guests feel comfortable.They were very patient with me and generous, making several phone calls on my behalf when I had either planned badly or not at all, forgetting that in developing countries...EVERYTHING takes longer and nothing is guaranteed. They provided me with a trusty, knowledgable and very friendly guide, Hadgu, who took me on a tour of the city and they helped make arrangements whenever I needed a ride anywhere. Until the day I became a big girl and felt more confident acquiring these things for myself.

When you enter the Guest House you learn very quickly that it is not only their business but their home. The owners share common areas such as living/dining room with their guests and at no time is anyone left feeling intrusive. The guest rooms are well appointed with simple furniture, a comfortable bed, tv and closet. The house and the grounds are cleaned/maintained daily. The power goes out regularly but that is an Ethiopia thing.

If you are looking for western standards you will be disappointed almost anywhere you go in Ethiopia. If you are willing to let go of certain amenities and open your heart and mind to the culture and the people you are in for an enlightening experience. Ethiopian hospitality is unrivaled in it's enthusiasm and sincerity if not it's creature comforts. Throw in a little "luck'o the irish" and you can't loose.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Very relaxed, clean and comfortable place to stay, with a friendly atmosphere....Eddie and his wife are lovely people and made us very welcome.....they had a good insight into the workings of Addis and arranged an excellent guide for us, who showed us about the city, including the markets....

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

I stayed here for a few nights in january before travelling south and it was comfortable and friendly. There was a good european breakfast included which was nice and the owners were friendly and willing to answer any questions i had.

Very close to the airport and bole road and bus links to other part of the city.

One day there was a surprise when a monkey went through the compound ..not a regular event in the centre of the city so very amusing.

Water pressure was a little poor sometimes and you had to ask owners to put on a pump but then it worked well.
Satellite TV in the room with decent range of channels.
Clean and comfortable not luxury but pleasant.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

Altitude Guesthouse is located very close to the Bole Road ( the heart of Addis). The Guest House is located in a very saved and uper class Aeria. The Price per night was really the best we couldn`t find a better House in this Category. The Rooms are comfortable with a great dayly roomcleaning service, and specialy we enjoied very much the big balkonie. The service was exelent and we feld like home by the support of the Guesthouse Leadership. The breakfast was great and if we travel again to Addis, be sure we will stay there only. Thanks to everybody and for every special support. Great Leadership with a great Ministrie to all Guests.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Ithaca, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

I made the booking 2 months before the trip and with a week to go before I left home I get this: "Unfortunately a family situation has arisen and we won't be able to take guests next week , apologies for this."
He did suggest a few other choices by name, but no other info on them. No offer to help get a room there, etc.
OK, I accept that things happen but I would have expected a bit more help. This also shows that the place is not run like a "real business", where the customer comes first.
Again, I don't know what happened and I am giving them the benefit of the doubt there there indeed was "a family situation" as opposed to a better booking, but this was a rather poor effort. At least he did let me know before I arrived, hence the POOR and not TERRIBLE rating on service.
Since I did not stay there I chose the middle level for all the categories except service.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Liza_altitude, Manager at Altitude Guest House, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
We cancelled the booking as due to a variety of factors the owners and backup would not be available during the period the client was due here,we felt it was better for client to give them plenty of notice (8 Days) so they could arrange other accomdation and we recommended 3 other guest houses that met their criteria in the locality.

The 3 recommended places had an internet presence.

We did this in the clients intrest and it was not a case of turning up and finding no room available.

The Clients mature response was "this sucks" .and in spite of what we would see an inappropriate response we asked did the client require any further help but it seemed they prefer to post a negative response on trip advisor than resolve the issue.
Djibouti
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

Really, Altitude guest house is a complete substitude of home away from home. The Irish owner and his Ethiopian wife define the best values of hospitality and friendship for their clients. You can go anywhere in addis from Altitude guest house in 10 minutes. It is so communicable and just near the Rowanda Embassy that everybody can reach you anytime. Very nice breakfast, non stop running hot water, neat and clean bed room, towels and bed sheets. It is a sea of satisfaction which is enclosed in small bottle. The staff is also very friendly and are in yours service all the times. Please enjoy yours stay here. I stay here for 4 weeks and really want to stay here again and again..
Thanks
Jawad Muzammil

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Altitude Guest House? Share your experiences!