“Charming hotel in great location!” 5 of 5 stars

KZ Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bole Road | P.O.Box 7110, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia   |
Ranked #35 of 80 Hotels in Addis Ababa
London, United Kingdom
“Charming hotel in great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is my first review on TripAdvisor, felt I had to provide feedback for KZ because I had such a nice stay there! I stayed there for more than 2 weeks and during that time the staff couldn't have made me feel more at home. Everyone knew my name and took the time to chat to me anytime I passed and make sure I had anything I needed! My room was really comfortable and I had a good WiFi connection. The location is also great, there are so many restaurants, bars and shops around (check out Lime Tree cafe just down the road, it's great!). But most of all I just loved the warm and friendly service at KZ - I hope to return to Addis one day and wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
CBR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This was my fourth stay and the hotel gets my return custom because of the assistance and friendliness of the staff. They are a credit to the business. The rooms are clean, simple and secure, the room service menu delicious and affordable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Bulawayo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

After this hotel resold my wife's booked and pre-paid room on the evening of the 30th November 2011, my wife, who was travelling solo, was stranded in a foreign city in the middle of the night. We still are trying to get a refund from them. Although they sold the room twice and were paid for it twice they still steadfastly refuse to refund. I repeat, DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL under any circumstances. In addition, shame on Hotels.com and Opodo UK who have been totally unhelpful in resolving this matter.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Wonderful staff, friendly management. Very affordable according to the location.
Clean and very safe.

• Stayed February 2012
Tyler, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

We spent two nights at the KZ at the end of January (2012). We saw how highly rated the hotel was on Trip Advisor, and on Hotels.com, and were looking forward to our stay. Sadly, we were pretty let down. I think the rating I give it is very accurate - average.

The service, of course, was very friendly. (Ethiopians are VERY hospitable). That does not mean, however, that they were on top of their game. Since we had booked through an internet site ahead of time, they could not find our reservation at first. We had actually booked for a Sat / Sun night, then later in the week for Wed / Thurs. Well, we found out on Sunday night that they did not have rooms for us on Wed / Thurs and they would not honor our confirmed reservation through Hotels.com.

The location is great, on basically one of the "main drags" in Addis. The rooms were very average, however. They had a window on top of the door, which let in a LOT of fluorescent light from the hallway all night - hard to sleep.

My recommendation is to stay at the hotel right next door - the Wassamar. It is a MUCH better hotel in quality of rooms and value for the money spent.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Excellent staff with great customer service. Excellent VALUE FOR MONEY, much better than Hilton/Sheraton (which is the same as all other luxury hotels in this world) Fantastic location (very safe because of Diplomatic area/everything you need within very short distance, including the airport). This location also gives you a feeling of the real city, not "an own world" inside the city!
I was indeed provided with a guided city tour with one of the best guides I have ever met (I have been visiting 102 countries), Sammy Tefara "Handy Sammy". I was so impressed by his skills, wisdom, service and proffesionalism - that after returning to Norway I have passed over this information to all tour operators with Ethiopia on the program! Here we talk about real value for money, guided city tours with better personal service at a much lower price than the two luxury hotels...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

No issues, service was good, in-room wifi was excellent (v fast/reliable), rooms clean, plug sockets took a variety of plugs. Only negatives were that the hot water didn't last long, and the breakfast was fairly basic. Airport shuttle (complimentary) was a good plus. Location was good, 3 Birr in minibus taxi into centre of town (any blue minivan works), great bar opposite (and to the left)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to KZ Hotel? Share your experiences!