“Decent option, but certainly not great” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Intercontinentaladdis

Save Saved
You added Hotel Intercontinentaladdis to your Saves list
Hotel Intercontinentaladdis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Guinea Conakry Street | Kirkos district, Kazanchis area, Addis Ababa 251) 115 180 444. Fax: (+251) 115 540 090, Ethiopia   |
Ranked #15 of 69 hotels in Addis Ababa
elysium246
“Decent option, but certainly not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

I stayed at the Intercontinental for 4 nights before transferring over to the ubiquitous Sheraton. Unfortunately, the construction and craftsmanship could be improved upon in many ways. My bathroom looked like it was half-finished, with the showerhead already falling off the wall, the handles loosened, and chipping paint throughout.

The hotel is centrally located in the Kasanchis area, so while the location is ideal, the amount of construction within a 2 block radius is astounding - creating a loud and dirty environment. While you usually don't require air-conditioning in Addis, we definitely needed it all 4 nights (but alas, they didn't have it). So I slept with the windows open, but the pack of dogs down outside and other noises from the construction sites kept me up most nights.

The food was decent, and the restaurant/bar staff were quite friendly....but the front-desk staff were incompetent. The lobby is nice, the central/glass elevators gave the lobby a good touch....and the roofdeck pool is an added touch.

It's nice to see an additional hotel in Addis, but my expectations were much higher. A solid/quality 3 or 4-star hotel would do so well in Addis, and I expected the Intercontinental to meet those needs. But sadly, it falls far too short. With the continued growth of the city, I'm confident a good/quality hotel will come about - but for the time being, stick with the Sheraton even though it's far more expensive. There's also the Hilton, but just not worth the price....and all the other 4-10 story hotels popping up just aren't that great either.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Portugal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

The Hotel needs to decide whether it wants to be a nightclub or a hotel. Three nights a week there is a full music blast in your room which lasts well after midnight. Also, the hotel is constructed in a way that noise made in the hotel lobby can be heard in every room. We had a meeting the next day, and our whole team had not slept! The rooms look fancy at the first glance, but then there are little things that are torn and broken. If you require a hotel where you can actually get some sleep - go somewhere else!!!

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
KAMPALA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

We booked a month in advance for an adjoining room for a family for three nights. We paid 100% by telegraphic transfer before arrival.

We arrived a day late but the adjoining room was not available.In consolation they gave us a the Presidential Suit. It was huge but without privacy, for our children were 7 and 6.

On checking out,their system had no details of our pre-payment. Some one in Finance had to resure us by confirming payment but declined our one day refund for any percentage. Our email about the late arrival was of no help.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

Upon arrival I was searched along with my belongings. Then after having my room key re-keyed, I found out that there is an annoying alarm system that goes off every time you forget to slam the door shut.
That evening, after an all day excursion around town, I came back to the hotel with a pizza and wasn't allowed to bring it into the hotel. I called for the manager (which I've never had to do before) and he told me that security actually searches for alcohol and food from outside vendors/restaurants. - "Hotel policy" is what I was told by the manager. So my initial search wasn't for peoples safety but to make sure they squeeze every penny out of your pocket. Great! Cutting corners will only drive future guests away.
Colleagues showed up to discuss what I was there for so we headed to what seemed like an elaborately decorated wine bar but without a server/bartender so we had to walk out and find another suitable lounge. The next morning, I received three calls back to back asking for me to come down stairs and settle my bill. I wanted to ask why but by then, I had given up. After I checked out and went back to where they never let you down, The Hilton, I told all our travel agent at embassy where I work, never to book anyone at the fake continental. I always stay at the Intercontinental in Festival City in Dubai, UAE and trust me, they have nothing in common. Besides the Sheraton and Hilton, I doubt any of the hotels train their staff on basic customer service and hotel management. Since most of these hotels are personally financed, cutting corners towards the last bit of the opening seems to be a must. I would never stay in one of those low budget, shinny hotels. Jupiter comes in third for me. I stayed their a few months back and it was well worth it. Great location, flexible, and great customer service.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Sandhurst UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

Decent business hotel. Clean, nice rooms good price. Nice roof top pool and gym. Breakfast was fine. Evening meal was very nice but menu doesn't have much choice and no ambience. Hotel would also suit tourist not planning to stay long time in Addis. Only downside is noisy nightclub - when you check in make sure your room is on the opposite side.

Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

Although this hotel is not part of the international Inter-Continental chain, it sports a nice copy logo and 5 stars outside the entrance. The hotel is popular with African business travelers due to its reasonable rates. My Canadian colleagues told me however that their employer would not book for them here due to bad experiences in the past. This was my second stay in the place and some things had improved. The loud lobby music had been toned down and there were less electricity problems. However, the construction sites at the 2 sides of the hotel continue working sometimes 24/7. There is also a very popular night club downstairs so do not recommend staying on this side of the hotel, but on the upper floors. The hotel suffers from BED BUGS. This had happened to a colleague of mine last time in November, happened to me and my colleague this time. What is on offer is anti-mosquito spray now in all rooms and was offered by cleaning staff as the solution to the problem. There is no A/C at all. The hotel normally has an ok internet service (with cable) but this time around the hotel's only technician on call happened to be on holidays on a public holiday, and the connection was out for 36 hours during this time. The technician after returning to work fixed the problem, but after his Sat 12 noon departure the connection collapsed again. The technician had found a router problem (in his own words) and fixed it, however the reception staff happily informed the annoyed customers that this was "a service provider problem", when they actually just did not have a technician on call 24/7. The staff are friendly and try their best.

Paarl, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

This is a pretty good hotel for both business and pleasure. It is NOT part of the Intercontinental Group of hotels. If it was, it would be a a quite good Holiday Inn but definitely not an Intercontinental. The hotel is relatively new, the rooms are fully adequate (I did have rotten pillows though) with a good range of TV channels. The bathroom works, but I doubt that anyone will rave about its size, quality of finish or facilities. The public areas are impressive and the staff are unfailingly friendly and efficient. I did not experience any significant service failure. The breakfast is good, and the food reflects what I would expect from a Holiday Inn. The location seems to be pretty central. The rates are in a different (ie, much lower), league from the Sheraton.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Intercontinentaladdis? Share your experiences!