“Interesting Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Intercontinentaladdis

Save Saved
You added Hotel Intercontinentaladdis to your Saves list
Hotel Intercontinentaladdis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Guinea Conakry Street | Kirkos district, Kazanchis area, Addis Ababa 251) 115 180 444. Fax: (+251) 115 540 090, Ethiopia   |
Ranked #15 of 70 hotels in Addis Ababa
Harare, Zimbabwe
“Interesting Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Great hotel with good food and service. Very friendly staff and always willing to help. Location was interesting as its in the middle of town. Its a great hotel in the middle of all the shanty buildings.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Abu Dhabi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Right after the flight, found the hotel desk right away, but we had to wait over 30 minutes while the driver waited for another passenger before taking us to the hotel, we were very happy that the to/from airport transportation was included, but the hotel is only 15 minutes from the airport, it was late, and we had to wait a long time at the airport before we left for the hotel.

The hotel itself was impressive from the outside. The front desk attendant was not the nicest, but I guess it was pretty late. We were checked in quickly. It was about 11:00pm, and we wanted a small snack after long day of flying. There were still people in the lobby, and we went down. The very nice waitress showed us a menu, and we ordered chicken wings and French fries. These were the worst tasting wings and fries I have ever tasted, not exaggerating. But the Ethiopian beer was light and tasty.

The room itself was fine, neither fabulous nor bad, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom clean. The lobby was probably grand at the beginning, but now the furniture looked very worn. Though the overall look was nice. Breakfast was just OK, nice selection of baked goods and made to order eggs. The hot selection was just OK.

Guess from other reviews, I expected more. But, this was very first trip to Adis Ababa, and I cannot compare to other hotels.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Warwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The hotel has a free shuttle service from the airport (it has a kiosk at Arrivals). The staff are welcoming and friendly. Rooms are clean and the food is both acceptable and reasonably priced. The building is pleasant with a large atrium and every room has a balcony. There is free wifi. Check-in and check-out are efficient. There are ATMs in the lobby that accept credit cards.

But.... Not all staff speak English well and tend to misunderstand then do what they think you said. The wifi doesn't reach all (any?) bedrooms so you have to sit in the lobby for connectivity (the ethernet cable in the room didn't work either). Bathrooms are tired and some of the plumbing is faulty. The TVs (all of them throughout the hotel) had a "email, press menu then 4" in the top corner obscuring a patch of picture and the staff didn't know why. If you sit at the wine bar and order food it will be priced as if you ate in the restaurant rather than the lobby with no warning. When I confirmed my shuttle back to the airport I found that it hadn't originally been booked even though I was told by email it would be.

I attended a conference at the Hilton. This seemed to provide more luxury, though its wifi was chargeable and I didn't see any bedrooms.

So it's a good hotel at a reasonable price, with the usual sub-Saharan African service foibles but its usual friendly staff. You could do worse.

Room Tip: A corner suite gives more space for little more money and is also quieter, but you probably won'...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

For me this hotel delivers what you would expect. Clean, good service (although the food was a little slow in coming) with good facilities including wifi. It made a good first stop in Ethiopia and base for seeing the city. There is a money exchange / bank facility on the first floor. Don't trust the morning call as I think the power cuts crash the system and the staff don't check!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Jhb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

It's unexpected because you drive through real 3rd world Africa to get there and when you arrive this luxury building seems very misplaced. There are aspects of 3rd world like the 30 minutes it takes to run a bath but on the whole its a great hotel and the staff are very friendly and willing, as are most Ethiopians. Well positioned for most addis activities

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

It was my 3rd times to stay in this hotel. I booked the hotel in advance and took free shuttle to the hotel, approx. 20 min drive.
The receptionist was quite efficient, finished my booking and my colleague's in no more than 20 minutes, no welcome drink though.
Overall this is a nice hotel with good rate, clean rooms, good lobby (esp. for meetings) and good macchiato. Breakfast is no complain. I had my rooms on 4th floor viewing other building.

Room Tip: have the booking in advance esp for the shuttle
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

As a last minute decision, I agreed to meet some friends from the US in Ethiopia. They were staying at the Hotel Ghion but it was unavailable on my dates and the TripAdvisor recommendations were not good. They were however spot on as my friends are not having a great experience there.
I chose the Intercontinental as I have only had good experiences with IHG hotels in the past. Until now. It takes the name but is not part of the Group and is nowhere near the same standard. The whole place looks tired and run down. The only upside is that the Ethiopian National Football squad were staying there. Boy do those guys eat. Constantly. Oh well, Nigeria will have them running around the park on Sunday so they will lose the weight!
I wanted a hotel with complimentary wifi in the room as I had a Skype call planned for Monday. I arrived on Sunday to find that there was no internet, wired or wifi. "The server is down and no one has internet at the moment" they informed me. "It should be back tomorrow." It wasn't and they had no idea when it would be but apparently no one else had it either. I went for a walk. Less than 50m around the corner the Radisson had full internet services. My friends at the Ghion said that they had internet too and the Hilton a few blocks away had it too. Too late for me as my Skype call had been cancelled. "Not possible" said the Intercontinental when I told them, "we use the same provider". Seems like someone has a better SLA then.
While out the next day, unbeknownst to me, my friends called to leave a message concerning confirming my flight booking that evening. I got back to the hotel. No message light on the phone. No note under the door. On the off chance, I called my friends to see what were the dinner plans and they asked if I had received the messages left. Obviously I hadn't. Called reception. "No sir, we didn't get any messages". Went to confirm the tickets but it was too late. Came back to the hotel and asked why I didn't get the messages. "Oh, when did your friends call? Let me check. Oh yes, they left two messages for you to call them urgently". One not happy guest.
That's raid, the staff, while incompetent, are extremely cheerful. The rooms, although tired, are clean. The location is good and the free shuttle to the airport was a godsend at 5am this morning.
Would I go back there? Never. Would I recommend it? If I didn't like you I might!
It is not whether you make mistakes, it is how you fix them, that counts. The Intercontinental needs to work on avoiding mistakes and fixing the ones it does make. Quickly.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. The Radisson is 50m away, has a great bar and restaurant, is fresh, new and clean...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Intercontinentaladdis? Share your experiences!