“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa

You added Radisson Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 21555, Kazanchis Business District | Kirkos Subcity 17/18, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan ahead and save 20%
Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
İstanbul
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Before going to a business trip to Addis Ababa, I have checked the tripadvisor to find a good hotel (as I always do). Radisson Blu Hotel was on the top of the list but was quite pricy compared to other alternatives so it was a hard decision but then i decided to pay the premium for the quality in a city where you are always concerned about health and comfort. During the two days I stayed in the hotel, i understood why Radisson Blu is on the top of the hotel list and why it deserves the money. Firstly, it is a very clean and comfortable hotel. everything is on the European standards. Its internet connection is unbelievable good. You can experience the speed of a fiber internet in Radisson Blu. The food selection at the restaurant was also both rich and very tasty. I also used their hotel airport transport shuttle and it worked very well. All in all, Radisson Blu is the best hotel you can stay at Addis Ababa.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Christopher2012_12, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Unver,

Many thanks for taking the time to share about your recent experience in our hotel on trip advisor. I greatly appreciate your positive comments about our complimentary Wi-Fi service, airport pick up and drop off and food taste and quality in our restaurant. It is very rewarding to see the effect of our Yes I Can! service concept in achieving 100% guest satisfaction. I look forward to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit and should you have the chance kindly find us on Face book and twitter- Radisson Blu Hotel Addis Ababa.

Again many thanks and kind regards

Christopher Pike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Turkish first
Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed here for a week long work conference and it was everything we hoped for. The rooms were nice and clean the staff was very accommodating in helping us getting everything setup for our meetings.The food was good both in the restaurant and room service which I ordered several nights when work kept me busy. The staff was also very helpful in making arrangements for us to plan a group dinner ans sightseeing tours around the city. The biggest downside was that the power cut out a few times a day as did the internet but I know that is common in the area. Also, the security people advised us that walking outside wasn't really advised unless you went in a group

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Marchal M,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to share your comments about our hotel on Trip Advisor. I truly appreciate your very positive comments about cleanliness of our rooms, quality of food and attitude of our staff. I am very happy to learn the service delivered was as per your expectation and your meeting went well without any set back. I hope you will consider us again for your future meetings and I look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Addis.

Should you wish to have updates about our hotel kindly find us on Face book and Twitter.

Many regards
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Radisson Blu on three ocassions during last month. The rates are expensive (overprised) by international standards however premium accomodation is limited in Addis. The staff are very friendly and very helpful despite average conditions in the hotel and rooms which are 3 star at best. The restuarant has excelent buffet options and is definitely a highlight. Would we stay there again, probably.
Doug and Ulai Kirwin
Thailand

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Doug and Ulai Kirwin,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comment about your last stay with us. It is great to learn that you were happy with our staffs’ behavior and our restaurant buffet options. However I would like to discuss with you further about the less satisfactory aspects of your stay. Kindly forward me your email or please use the below email address to contact me – Christopher.pike@radissonblu.com

Many thanks and kind regards
Port au Prince
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Not my first stay at a Radisson Blu, and this one keeps the tradition of comfort for travelers. My room was comfortable, and the staff very helpful. I found things to be a bit difficult at check in, but it might have been due to the fact that there was a conference in Addis reuniting 3,500 people and they were perhaps a bit stressed but the rest of my stay was very smooth.
The rooms are true to the pictures posted, and very comfortable.
Located near other hotels like the Sheraton and Hilton, it was very easy to locate oneself after a few days.
The internet is the one thing that can be improved! There is wireless available free of charge to guests, but during my stay, it was flimsy and unreliable. It was difficult for me to maintain a connection to Skype with my family. In the end, I just told them I would check in whenever possible.
The restaurant is very good, serving staff excellent. try their Signature Burger: served with salad and fries, it is one of my favorite :)
All in all, an excellent hotel for a business trip, and likely for a family stay as I noticed a few people with small children who appeared very relaxed as well.
Definitely recommended.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Christopher2012_12, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Regie. M.
Many thanks for taking the time to write your review on trip advisor and for recommending our hotel. It is greatly appreciated. Kindly accept my apology for the inconvenience you faced during check in. I would like to let you know that this is noted and the concerned department is informed to be able to reducing future reoccurrence. We apologize you were not satisfied with regards to our internet service; however, this is for reasons above our control as the setback is from our service provider. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed at the Radisson Blu in Addis for about 2 weeks while attending a conference on the ECA grounds. Typically, I find living out of a suitcase in unfamiliar environs quite tedious for such long durations, but on this occasion I can honestly say that I found myself feeling quite chipper throughout the stay. The beds and pillows are ridiculously comfortable and I would switch my orthopedic bed at home for the Radisson beds at a pinch!
Breakfast is simply decadent what with the smoked salmon that you can gorge on to your hearts content! The room service menu however needs work (not a lot to choose from) and I would recommend eating at restaurants around the area as lunch and dinner are obscenely expensive. I also took advantage of the spa for a massage which was quite pleasant.
I will say this however, for a young woman travelling alone, some of theyounger male staff exhibit some rather untoward behaviours that really must be addressed.
All in all, I was a happy camper but then let's remember that as I was travelling for work, this was NOT on my coin. If you're on a budget, steer clear.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Nyamisa,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment about your last stay in our hotel.
I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the comfort of our beds, our super breakfast and the massage service in the spa. I would like to let you know that we are planning to increase number of dishes available on our room service menu and regarding your comment about the untoward behavior of our young male staff, please contact me with the below email address to further discuss the issue.

Christopher.pike@radissonblu.com

I sincerely hope to welcome you back to the hotel sometime in the future.

Please find us on face book, twitter and foursquare to stay informed about our hotel.

Many thanks and regards
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and really enjoyed it. I also stayed at the Sheraton Addis during the same month so I was able to compare the two properties.

Positives
- Very modern and chic hotel. Unlike the Sheraton, the Radisson Blu is not an expansive property but they have used the space wisely and the lobby level was adequate to me.
- Food - Faster service and better tasting than the Sheraton.
- Drinks - creative cocktails and very well mixed drinks.
- Spa - not huge but very clean and modern facilities, great service and even better prices! I had a good massage from Mickey (male masseuse) - 60 minutes for about $20USD.
- Excellent wifi
- comfy beds
- adequate fitness centre
- very good effort for service though still slow at times
- Staff was great & really seemed to try hard

Negatives
- very little outdoor space. This place is more like a city hotel than a resort feel property.
- no swimming pool. They should have invested in a rooftop bar/pool area (like the Radisson Blu in Port Elizabeth, South Africa).
- Service can be slow sometimes. It took a 40 min wait and 3 phone calls to get an iron & ironing board.
- better lighting needed in the bathrooms. Not sure if it's the kind of bulbs that are being used - perhaps they have to warm up, but the lighting in the bathroom is inadequate especially in front of the mirror/on top of the sink.
- Business class Lounge - too small and needs more/better offerings.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Christopher2012_12, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Sir/ Madam

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to share about your experience in our hotel. It is very rewarding to learn that you were satisfied with our food & drinks, the set up of the hotel, spa services, wifi, GYM and our staffs’ effort to deliver best service possible.

We are reviewing your comment regarding service quality and notes taken will be forwarded to concerned departments.

As we are currently awaiting delivery of replacement for light bulbs, we believe we will be able to solve lighting problems you have faced during your stay. I sincerely hope on your next visit all service delivered will be as per your expectations. I look forward to your next stay in our hotel.

Again many thanks and if you have the chance please find us on face book, twitter and foursquare to stay informed about our hotel

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I gave this a 4 out of 5 rating because overall it is a great hotel. Not "world class" which would get a 5, but quite good. Before I get into the details, let me give you some background on me, your humble scribe… I am an international humanitarian filmmaker. As such, I travel a great deal. This trip alone has seen me in Nairobi 3 times, many towns in South Sudan including Juba, Kampala, and now Addis. I am not judging this hotel against its counterparts in Paris or Singapore, I am comparing it to other hotels in Africa.

First the good things. This hotel excels in a number of areas:
- The Bed: probably the best bed I have slept in all year. Simply superb.
- The Staff: beautiful, articulate, sweet (but not empowered to do anything but be nice!)
- The Facility: very nice, modern, clean
- Breakfast: good, complete, bountiful buffet
- WiFi: strong signal, fast, and easily accessible

But I experienced problems from the moment I checked in:

- They do not accept American Express, the card I use for all my business expenses
Later after checking in, I discovered that in the hotel information book found on my guest room desk that they listed American Express as a card that they did accept. I tried again on check out, even talked with the front desk manager, and they claimed it was a problem with all hotels in Addis - none could take Amex (a claim I later found to be untrue since the hotel I moved to accepted my card with a smile).

- The would not change any money for me - the cashier was closed for the night
"Tomorrow morning" was their reply with a world-class smile. So, I walked to the hotel next door (literally next door) and changed money.

- The room was small
I was in a business room on the 8th floor, and it was cramped. There is a chair and small side table and a tiny desk. It was beautifully modern, nice lighting, nice flat screen TV, but it was a very cramped room.

- Business Class Lounge is useless
Since I was in a business class room, I had access to the lounge. It's main claim seems to be a handful of tables so you can have a smaller breakfast with far fewer options and not have to deal with the lesser people in the restaurant. There were a few chairs and couches and a TV, and a computer and printer. But I walked in, and looked around, and left. There were only 3 people in there and it felt crowded. One American guy was teaching a local how to use a spreadsheet - maybe he should have booked a conference room or used his room - he was loud and clearly irritated that I was considering sitting nearby to use my computer. As I said, I left. It was not nearly as useful as the many other business lounges I've enjoyed around the world.

-Showering in the dark
The bathroom is nice. I still don't understand the concept of bathtubs in a business hotel, but maybe some people enjoy sitting in their dirty water. The bathtub was a large one person tub and for those who like them, I'm sure it would be a welcome sight. The shower was very nice, but small. Great hot water, excellent water pressure. The bath had a nice assortment of soaps, shampoo, conditioner, lotions etc. There were only two large towels. Since it was just me in the room, that is ok, but just barely. But here was the real problem, part way through my morning shower, with shampoo running down my face, I heard a "pop" and it went dark. I rinsed and realized for some reason, the bathroom had lost power. I finished with the two towels, and noticed the main light fixture was hanging from the ceiling, dangling from its wires. When I reported this a few minutes later upon checking out, they asked why I didn't call immediately to have it fixed or to change my room -- well, that's not the sort of thing one does naked and wet.

- Check Out
I had booked my room for five nights, but when checking in, had discovered that nights 2-5 would be at a higher rate -- another unpleasant surprise. Despite how much I loved the bed, I knew my cash would be strained by paying these steep rates for five nights (since I couldn't use my card) and that I had to move. The front desk person (Bethlehem) was superbly wonderful, and tried her charming best to convince me to stay. I asked for a lower rate room, or a reduction for the lighting mishap, or a cash discount - she sweetly and so nicely continued to say "no, sorry, no I can not do that." She was adamant that I should not leave, and asked me to sit while she got the duty manager. Finally, he came and very politely said he was only the duty manager and could not do anything with the rate or with a discount. Perhaps if I had any documentation of the rate I expected to pay he might be able to help, but unfortunately… TaDa! I had my confirmation from the Radisson online reservation service which I showed him. I had used AMEX to reserve the room, I had a lower rate, and there was no service charge mentioned. He left to work on it. Finally he said he could do nothing, and laughed when I told him I was moving next door. He stopped smirking when I told him I could get an executive suite there for less than the standard business room here. Final check out snafu: I paid in new US Dollars, and was told they would not accept them. I had just used them in South Sudan - the least developed nation in the region, and here in the self-proclaimed political capital of Africa, the new $100 note was not being accepted. I told them to work it out, or take the AMEX. After a long wait, they brought back change in Burr.

Bottom line. I think I'm going to miss that bed, and those incredibly beautiful, sweet, lovely smiles at breakfast and at the front desk… but I just can't afford to shell out that many $100 notes every day and still have some left for the rest of my trip. But, if they took AMEX, I might have stayed.

If you work for the UN, or African Union, or the World Bank, or a multi-national corporation or one of the huge NGOs that doesn't have to worry about making its donors happy with low overhead costs, then book this place -- you'll love it. If you actually are accountable for what you spend when trying to help people, then you might be happier next door. But I bet the beds won't be nearly as good. I'll report on that when I check out of the Jupiter.

Room Tip: The 8th & 9th floors are business rooms. If you have the extra per diem, go for it.