“Great hostess and staff... good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mimosa Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Addis Ababa
Mimosa Hotel
Save Saved
You added Mimosa Hotel to your Saves list
Bole Area, near Yole building, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia   |
Ranked #57 of 119 Addis Ababa B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Great hostess and staff... good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Location is not too far from airport and walking distance to some major streets and "middle class" expansion areas situated halfway between airport and "rich area" where the Sheraton is. Free shuttle to and from airport added to a very reasonable room price.

Hostess very nice and energetic, really good sense of customer service by her and her staff. Room was alright, internet wi-fi sometimes challenging, food was good. All in all, was what I better than I expected for a short stay before leaving the country after some extensive traveling...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I had a great stay here!
The staff were very friendly and accommodating. I can't say enough. They helped us arrange transportation to the museum (highly recommended) and gave us a place to sleep while they prepared our room after we arrived after a very early morning flight. I had an accident on our last day there that was my own fault - I was admiring the artwork in the halls (they have a few beautiful paintings!) and I wasn't watching where I was going. Well I guess I missed a step because next thing I know I was laying at the bottom of the stairs holding my ankle. I gave myself quite a knock because I don't even remember falling! But the entire staff, the housekeepers and front desk, came running up to my aid. They helped me downstairs and one woman even massaged my sore ankle, which really helped! They were genuinely concerned that I'd hurt myself and were so helpful.
Other than that, the food, both dinner and breakfast (oh, the delicious coffee!), was tasty. They have WiFi and I was able to use skype and email without too many problems. The room was very clean and the shower was nice and hot. The place had character - more character than the Hilton that charges 5 times the price! The only thing I'd say is that it IS a bit out from the sights, but the money you save on the hotel more than makes up for a few cab rides.
I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Pozuelo de Alarcon, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Well the title says it all , the hotel is conveniently close to Bole airport , the staff is quite nice and helpful , the palce seems very clean ( the floor shines) , the bed is not bad , they have interten connection ( at smail pace) , the food is good , but there are cockroaches in our room , in our bathroom , in our bed and after we had eaten we saw them in the kitchen , on the desk were the food was ....and it ruined it all , we asked for a insecticide and was given to us without any further question so it seems is quite common

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

For travellers requiring a relatively inexpensive hotel in Addis, the Mimosa is adequate. The staff are helpful and the suite was clean and comfortable. However, the chorus of barking dogs through the night made our sleep problematic. The staff were very willing to change us to the back of the building where the dogs were marginally less bothersome.

The hotel is located in a laneway between two streets, one of which is a red light district. It is not within walking distance of the city centre of other areas of interest. Taxis are cheap but I would advise asking reception to call a taxi and prearrange a fare. One the second evening we went to the Serenade restaurant for dinner and although the receptionist arranged for a taxi to collect us afterwards, there was still strong haggling over the fare. By the way, the Serenade, although relatively expensive, served excellent food. It is located up a very dark alley way and our driver had great trouble finding it. Reference is made to it on page 101 in the 2009 edition of the Lonely Planet.

We are in our mid sixties and I will have to indicate that I would not recommend this hotel unless sleeping with hounds in not an issue. We booked a suite (not much more expensive that the rooms) which was large but I didn't see inside the rooms.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here I would suggest a suite and certainly ask to be located at the back of th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

I only spent one night here, having exhausted the better part of my funds on a perfectly non-descript (read: any motel in North America) room at the Hilton for ridiculous amounts of money. After several days on a solo trip in Northern Ethiopia (arranged by a really great tour company called Highway Tours), I asked the tour organiser to find me a cheap hotel in Addis, and he shortlisted a couple, one of which was this. I instantly felt at home here -- reception was really warm and friendly, and the hotel lobby is very airy and light. My room was good -- they were extremely accomodating (partially also because I came through the tour organiser, I suspect), and I got a huge room and bathroom - all spotlessly clean - and at a discount. Airy and light and Ethiopian budget hotels don't really go hand in hand, by the way.

Sure, there were hiccups -- a hole where the keyhole should be in the bathroom door, the television not plugged in and only showing a couple channels, but the size and spaciousness of my room more than made up for it. Plus, free laundry after getting your jeans caked with mud while hiking in the mountains = WIN.

Distance is an issue -- you can't just walk out and see the sights, but it's a quick taxi ride away. The hotel is also close to some great restaurants and nightclubs - at night you'd still require a cab, though.

In short: PROS: great staff, hearty breakfasts, free laundry and wi-fi, clean, airy, good clientele, free airport drops, will arrange cabs/transport if needed.
CONS: not close to the cultural sights - which is a big con. But for the money you save to stay here per night, you could get ten cabs to town.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

So my biggest disclaimer here was the fact that i arrived at a disastrous time, there was no power, internet and water for the majoirty of the 2 nights i was there, not the fault of the hotel but just general problems with Ethiopian infrastructure. Sadly, the communication to guests by hotel staff was terrible with some staff not even telling guests that there was indeed a major problem and instead pretending that it would be back in 20 minutes.

The overall standard of service was very inconsistent. Stuff was sometimes on time, sometimes not. Some of the receptionists try to make money on the side by setting you up with their favoured taxi drivers who then ripped you off. On the other hand some other stuff were friendly.

When the hot water did return, it was like a trickle. And for the cost of the hotel it was pathetic.

However, all things said, the owner is fantastic, Mois, absolutely fantastic, he gave me a decent discount. Also there are many people who seem to stay there for months and i met some awesome people there all of whom said that the hotel was normally excellent I think i just came at a bad time, but i was overall dissapointed. would still recommend it as Addis does have some terrible places to stay in!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

Stayed here for two nights prior to a trip to the Lower Omo Valley. Having visited Addis a couple of times before, this is definitely one of the best value options in the city. The airport pick-up was seamless. The hotel is located down a dirt back street (thus making it a quiet area), and is not situated close to any of the main tourist regions, so seeing anything from here is best by taxi rather than on foot. Staff were very friendly and welcoming on check-in, and I found that they were uniformly very pleasant throughout the hotel.

The room was a decent size with a good bathroom but getting the hot water to work was a bit of a problem. The room was well furnished by Ethiopian standards, but the TV reception was terrible. However, after a bit of fiddling with the antenna connection soon brought it to a more viewable standard.

Food at breakfast was more than acceptable, plus the restaurant and lobby area had the bonus of free Wi-Fi which was very handy. The whole hotel was very clean, bright and airy, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again on any return visit to the city.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Mimosa Hotel? Share your experiences!