“Tourist Trap – to be avoided, hair in the ravioli but still charged” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Castelli Restaurant

Castelli Restaurant
Infront of Mahmoud music shop | Piassa, Mahatma-Gandhi St, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Improve this listing
Ranked #42 of 146 Restaurants in Addis Ababa
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
“Tourist Trap – to be avoided, hair in the ravioli but still charged”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We live in Addis since more than 1 ½ years and we used to visit the restaurant frequently during the first months of our stay in Addis. However, over time we felt that the quality of the food had badly declined and we stopped coming. Few weeks back, we thought of giving it again a try. Food was Ok and service good so we came back for a second visit with my sister-in-law and my mom who were visiting. I actually had a very good risotto and the dishes of the others were OK – except of the ravioli of my sis-in-law. She found a long hair, which was backed nicely into one of the raviolis. One could say: OK this can happen but it all of course depends on the reaction of the restaurant. We told the waiter and returned the dish. He was apologetic but we expected at least a free round of grappa and the dish taken off the bill.,,,,but nothing happened and the ravioli were nicely charged. I paid, didn’t leave a single cent tip and on the way out I confronted the obnoxious Italian owner who always sits on his silly throne at the entrance. He pretended that he does not speak English but I told him how horrible his hair food is and what a horrible restaurant owner he is not even taking the dish off the bill. He just didn’t care, shame on him.

Last time in this place, never again. I can simply advise tourists and residents not to fall into this trap and to go elsewhere.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Baltimore, Maryland
“Old-fashioned ambiance, outstanding pasta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Castelli really makes you feel like you are in Italy, with an old-fashioned interior, choose-your-own approach to the antipasti, and wonderful homemade pasta. Don't be put off by the somewhat surly owner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Malmo, Sweden
“Good Italian food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

A piece of Italy in Addis. Good food, different Italian dishes. The service is good but be clear what you ordering, was some misunderstandings during my visit. The price on imported wine is quite high. An average Italian restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Do Not EAT HERE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Absolute worst dining experience of my life. FOOD WAS HORRIBLE. The owner is extremely rude. Do not waste your money here. Any other Italian restaurants in the city would be a better option. I assume the owner has paid guide books to be included in them because I have no idea why any guide book would recommend this horrible horrible horrible restaurant. To say that this restaurant serves Italian food is an insult to the wonderful country and cuisine of Italy.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Vientiane, Laos
“A hair in the pasta”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I liked this restaurant a lot. It has good food and good ambiance. I was looking forward to share it with my sister and mother in law when they visited me in Addis. Too bad my sister had to find a long hair in her food that ruined it for us all. We told the waiter who apologized, but that was it. the dish was charged to our bill and no one from the kitchen came to say anything else. On the way out we told the Italian owner who sits at the entrance what had happened, but he pretended he couldn't understand English. A real shame.

• Visited November 2013