“godsend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 69 hotels in Addis Ababa
tel aviv
“godsend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

this hotel was like a gift from heaven after 3 weeks of intermittent water and electricity, fleas in the blankets and shower drains that were clogged. the staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was cozy and the beds comfortable and clean, the shower was amazing - clean, hot water pressure excellent. the power strip sparked but they came and looked at it right away and the toilet was lacking a cover which they provided on request. the breakfast was barely ok, the wifi in the lobby was excellent. i got sick from dinner but my husband and daughter did not and the next day for an additional $37 we stayed (instead of checking out at 12pm) until 9 pm and took the free shuttle to the airport. satellite tv in the room with bbc news and movie channel was great. there were several families staying there all in the process of adoption so it was a little noisy in the dining room but not terribly so. the only real problem was the window above the door that lit up the room all night. overall it was much better than i could have hoped for!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Lets step back and take a reality check here. We're talking third world mid level small town hotels here. Standards of hygiene, cleanliness and maintenance are relative in such properties. Ethiopian hotels of this calibre are more expensive than their counterparts in, say, India, but the product is similar so don't be misled by the price.

The Adot offers a comfortable bed, clean linen, and a well sized room. As far as i can tell nothing bit me while i was here. There's running hot water and the shower is superb. Service is friendly and polite. Staff are helpful, but beware that service in Ethiopian hotels generally seems inefficient.

On the downside, the rooms are noisy mostly from plumbing gurgles when your neighbour showers or uses the loo. There is a glass window above the door leading to the corridor through which light comes in at night. I fixed the latter problem by putting on a flight eye mask that I always carry. Maintenance levels are not great - stained carpets, and the odd bits falling off give the room a slightly seedy air. Typical of the genre.

Breakfast (included) is basic but serves the purpose. No frills. The coffee is superb - ask for a macchiato, which is more akin to the Spanish cortado, and you can tell the quality of Ethiopian coffee.

I used a local travel agent to book the hotel for me so there were no hiccups with room availability or anything else. My stay was certainly much more comfortable and pleasant than I feared after reading all the reviews on TA.

The hotel is away from the city centre, and a 10 minute walk away from the shared taxi routes, but Addis is not that large and it's not that big a deal. The locale is quiet and safe and there are many other hotels in the vicinity.

To sum up, adequate for the purpose.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Nice and cozy value for money hotel. Staff are friendly and trying hard, rooms are comfortable , usually the internet is not working properly and if your room is looking at the front area it is going to be noisy from early morning.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Girona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for a week, having stayed previously in another hotel in Addis (Hotel Addis View), I have to say that this hotel was a big improvement! Located in a quite neighbourhood, the staff is very friendly, breakfast (bearing in mind that you're in Ethiopia!) is OK, rooms are spacious and you've wifi in the foyer and through cable in the rooms (although sometimes the cable is broken...). I can assure you that this hotel has one of the best and fastest Internet connections of the whole country! From time to time, you may experience a black out (typical from Addis) but the hotel has its own generator, so don't worry, the only thing it will stop is the internet connection...
In the surrounding area it's plenty of restaurants to eat, I specially recommend the Italian one around the corner.
By the way, the hotel is normally packed by families (at that moment 4 Catalan families) adopting child, in that sense, the hotel can be a bit "noisy" but, on the other hand, full of life!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Arriving in Ethiopia after a night flight glad to check in. Reserved the room for three days, and the day after at 4pm they let us know that we have to leave the room, due prior reservations!!!
No other room available, at 4 pm i needed to look out for a other hotel, still jetlagd and with wive & 2 year old son. Not funny.
While checking in i specific asked for a 3 day stay, no problem they said.
NOT!!!
No manager on site, no decent English speaking staff on site. A restaurant with the size of a locker, and food tasting like it was kept in that locker for a long time.
Decent room size, (80$) is much to much for this hotel, far from any tourist site ect...
They have some friendly staff, especially the security.
Should i come back to this hotel? Not realy except if it is the only room available in Addis.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are bigger.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Lincoln, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011 via mobile

My friend arrived during the day and checked into a room. I was not due to arrive until 4am but was willing to pay for a room for the whole night so that I could get straight to sleep on arrival. My friend confirmed my reservation at 11pm with the night manager before going out. When I arrived at 4am, I discovered that, despite confirming my reservation 5 hours earlier my room had been given away in exactly the same way as described by other reviewers. The night manager was unapologetic and unhelpful. I ended up sharing my friend's bed - it's lucky she was already there or I'd have been left with nowhere to sleep (he offered me a room at a sister hotel until 6am, which is clearly not acceptable). Next morning, the manager was profusely apologetic, again as detailed by other reviewers, and said we wouldn't have to pay for the first night (we were staying a second night also). The room was comfortable and clean, with hot water and there was free wi-fi (not advertised) and Internet computers in reception (which only worked 50% of the time, but that's Ethiopia, not the hotel!). I was waiting to check out, thinking what a good review I would write and how the hotel had redeemed itself after the tremendous cock up of the previous night. However, we then received our bill. Rather than give us the first night free they gave ME the first night free, meaning a discount of $15 by charging the single rate rather than the double occupancy rate. This basically meant paying for what we were forced to use, with none of the promised apology/discount/compensation. When we said that this wasn't good enough they kept saying that we didn't have to pay for the room we cancelled. We tried to explain that we didn't cancel anything, they gave my room away, but this seemed to fall on deaf ears. We eventually negotiated a 50% discount on the rate for one night.
It's a shame that the hotel service meant that our stay was bookended in such a negative fashion as this is a perfectly nice hotel. I'm sure if you arrive during the daytime everything'll be fine, but reading other reviews it would seem that this issue for nighttime arrivals is an ongoing one that the hotel has singularly failed to address. A shame.

• Stayed August 2011
Airlie Beach, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

My friend and I had stayed here a couple of times while we travelling around Ethiopia for the two months that we were there. Each time, the service was great and we had the same room, which was clean. The restaurant offered great service and food, with no complaints. Internet access was awesome and FREE! The time we stayed there, it was very busy with couples who were in the process of adopting children. So it did get very noisy, but we did not mind all the crying and screaming.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Adot-Tina Hotel? Share your experiences!