“My experience at Roca Golf” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Roca Golf Hotel

You added Roca Golf Hotel to your Saves list
Roca Golf Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard de la Tanzanie | B.P. 6506, Bujumbura 6716, Burundi   |
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Bujumbura
“My experience at Roca Golf”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed at Roca Golf for 3 nights and at first, I was impressed by the building which seemed new. The food was great, and the amenities such as the gym, spa, and bar overlooking the golf course are some of the attractions of the hotel. The rooms were neat and usually clean.

However, the service is among the poorest if you are a frequent traveler in East Africa. One night coming back from a trip upcountry, we wanted to have dinner at the terrace overlooking the pool. We were told that it is prohibited to eat food outside, only drinks were allowed. If we wanted to order, we had to go upstairs in our rooms and order from there. Interestingly, nobody had informed us of such thing! Nevertheless, the previous night, I had spotted some clients there but may be it was because the color of skin! But what shocked me, was on my last day when I checked out and left my luggage with my jacket at the reception because we had to go catch up a late lunch with some business partners only to find out on my way back that my jacket had disappeared and the staff didn't even bother to apologize. So as I write down, I am not sure if I will recover my jacket!!!!

A hotel such as Roca should not have rules and regulations as if it's a monastery where clients are treated like monks but even it does, better be informed than being surprised at the last minute. It doesn't make sense to have one of the best facilities in town with the worst service. Much as the staff behaved friendly trying to explain to us the "do's" and "dont's", I had the impression that the management of the hotel doesn't listen to clients' complaints because when we asked to speak to the food and beverages manager, he or she sent us a waiter.

I am going to be coming to Burundi often for business but I am not sure if I will stay at Roca again!

Charles V.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Went here on recommendations from a fellow business traveler and was very, very pleased with all of the services provided.

The rooms are clean and comfortable with a generous supply of pillows. The WiFi was free and worked to the extent needed.

Food: Exceptionally good - there's a buffet and a simple menu. Was very full and happy from both! Breakfast buffet is notably good. I also enjoyed the freshly grilled fish at lunch.

Customer service: Very helpful and not overbearing.

Airport shuttle was on time and included in the price. Drivers are available as well as taxis: I recommend Yves(+ 257 752 21 639).

If you have to come for business or at all, use the Roca Golf! Fully Recommend :)

Room Tip: get a room with a view of the golf course/ mountains of DRC!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I wasn't expecting much on a short trip to Burundi, but was pleasantly surprised by the high standard of the Golf Roca. The room was enormous, the bathroom well-equipped and the restaurant excellent. The wi-fi signal was unpredictable and they need to look into that for some of the rooms. I suspect it's also rather expensive (I was attending a conference and didn't pay myself). But overall it was a high quality place with friendly, attentive staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
George, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

A little known destination in darkest Africa has a beacon of light for the weary traveller, Roca Golf Hotel.
A very well run establishment when one takes into account the restrictions that are Africa.
The hotel entrance is clean and friendly as are the smiling faces that greet you, and everybody is eager to help.
The rooms are spacious and well thought out with a balcony overlooking the pool.
The hotel fills the grounds and all rooms face inward which takes care of the outside traffic and people noises, so no rolling lawns?
Well here is the trump card, the GOLF in the logo, access to a very well run golf course with club house, rental clubs and a bar at the 19th with change rooms and showers.
The hotel is run by Mr Marcel Brekelmans, who has his finger on the pulse of this hotel to ensure that all is well.
I found him and his staff most approachable and accommodating in all requests.
The head chef as well, can be seen at every meal moving between customer and kitchen to make sure all is" honkey dory" as it always is, my compliments to him and his staff.
I must take the time just to compliment the General Manager, Mr Brekelmans, for not succumbing to the casualness which befalls us all in Africa, and being very well dressed all the time.
Well done.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet and the suites at the end of the passage have a balcony and a lawn with a small...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stopped over for 2 nights in the new Roca Golf Hotel in Bujumbura. It was an unexpected surprise on my first trip to Burundi. The Hotel is new and comfortable - good rooms and reasonable finishes. The Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful - and free internet (that works) as well as free airport transfers just made everything simpler and more inviting. They also arrange golf with free temporary clubs on the course next door. However the food at the restaurant was simply excellent. Breakfast and dinner were superb, cooked and presented well with quality local ingredients and a wonderful variety. The South African Chef knows her stuff and is most hospitable. I hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Overlooking the golf course is a good choice.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ines M, Manager at Roca Golf Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, we are very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope to see you here again in the future, you are always welcome!

Greetings from the Roca Team.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed in Roca for about 2 weeks this month. I travel very often on the continent for business. Food and bedding contribute tremendously to the success of each trip. Roca has been an unexpected gift with a very welcoming an professional staff, ready to go an extra mile to provide satisfaction, which really matters. The 15 mn outstanding lunch challenge, my breakfast to go, the mosquito net and the cleanliness made a difference. Besides the food was very diversified, tasty and affordable. My favorite spot : the back yard with view on the golf court and the grill. You should definitely try that:-). My suggestion to the management is to install additional electric plugs in common areas and remain as flexible as you are. A bientôt Roca Golf!

Room Tip: Rooms with view on the golf course are quieter, with bath tubs:-)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ines M, Manager at Roca Golf Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review .

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and more so with your gracious compliments about our services.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at Roca Golf Hotel very soon.

With Kind Regards
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I travel to Bujumbura as the logistic business dictates and having stayed in three establishments to date, i am so relieved to have found the Roca Golf Hotel. This Hotel in Bujumbura is where every tired business man needs to rest his weary head. The food is very good & i have had some very poor meals in Bujumbura, one that was accompanied with a bug of sorts, in a Hotel charging $210 per night.

My fellow travelers, this is the place, a gym, a spa, a wonderful restaurant looking onto the golf course and a pub that has atmosphere. When last did i receive a hot towel to wipe my dusty hands before eating a superb lunch of fish curry? Not in South Africa or UK.

look no further than the Roca Golf Hotel and at usd 150pn it is a steal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room eat the end facing the gold course.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ines M, Manager at Roca Golf Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking time to share your positive experience.

Your Feedback was shared among the Roca Team.

We hope to host you again in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Been to Roca Golf Hotel? Share your experiences!