“a puzzling mix of apparent function and abject dysfunction” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“a puzzling mix of apparent function and abject dysfunction”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Our visit to Chutney was unique and memorable, though not in a good way. On the positive side, the menu is extensive and suggests that someone involved really knows Indian cooking. The South Indian favorites we ordered were competently rendered, well spiced, and lacking of excessive ghee. Ghee can be an easy crowd-pleaser and gets abused, so I appreciate attempts to make tasty food with moderate ghee. The experience, however, was marred by poor service: our waiter barely suppressed her laughter as she took our order, suggested that my wife would be happier with the Indian equivalent of chicken strips, and then with no further indication of what might be happening, disappeared for the next two hours. Yes, two hours. In that time, customers at other tables arrived, dined, and departed. At one point the restaurant even reached capacity, creating for us a puzzling mix of apparent function and abject dysfunction that was never explained. Other highlights included the din of the televisions; the hypnotic beep of the restaurant's alarm system; a poster featuring Mohandas K. Gandhi's advice on customer service; and an anonymous, but framed, pencil drawing.

If you go, be prepared for an adventure.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Gaborone, Botswana
“WORST SERVICE, ARROGANT RACIST MANAGER, TOO NOISY.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Being a Fan of South Indian food, We decided to go chutney with my family and friends (7people) for my Son Birthday.........Knowing the fact of service delay we ordered Only South Indian food immediately.............. After one hour when nothing was served I went to the Manager who was busy attending foreigners and his known people and asked about the order..... He looked and replied me in such arrogant manner and said ''If you know our service then why you NORTH INDIANs came to us''. .......After hearing this RACIST REMARK I decided not to stay any more and decided to go.......and then came the real SHOCKER.......waitress gave us a Bill for the food which was never served........This triggers my friends anger and shouted at manager........this manager was so selfish and disrespectful he went disappeared from the scene.........I WILL GIVE THIS RESTAURANT A BIG ZERO.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hermanus, South Africa
“Chutney's reputation for good food being ruined by lousy service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have been regular and satisfied Chutney customers for a number of years, but we have never ever had such bad service anywhere in the world as we did last night at Chutney.

We wanted a quick meal, and within minutes of sitting down we had ordered our drinks, one starter to share and a main course each.

My husband's rock shandy arrived without the bitters added, and with the instruction to put the bitters in himself because the barman was not around to do it.

Then we proceeded to wait and wait and wait. After around 45 minutes, when we asked where our food was, (meaning the starter since it had not arrived yet), we were told that it would be 5 minutes.

15 minutes later, and an hour after ordering, our main course arrived, but our starter had not been served yet.

"No problem", said our waitress, "I'll get your starter very quickly". Now, how could she do that when an hour had passed without producing the starter in the first place ... ? And in the meantime our main course would be standing around getting ruined!

We were not the only people unhappy with the long wait for food last night, and the customers at almost every table were noticeably irritated as a result of the extremely slow progression of their orders from the kitchen to the table. Even take-away customers were having a long wait for their food, and one person in particular had to wait more than an hour for his take-always.

We have never left a restaurant without eating, however we did so last night, but only after my husband had to have words with the person in charge when she was reluctant to produce the bill for the drinks. In addition our waitress had the cheek to say that we had not ordered a starter and then she very quickly disappeared into the kitchen after voicing the lie.

The person in charge last night is usually a waitress, so WHERE is the owner/manager ... ? His absence has been noticed in the drastic lowering of service standards at Chutney over the last number of months.

On the positive side, the food is always really good, except we did not stay around LO...............NG enough to eat any of it last night!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gaborone
“Great Food, service not so much...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I absolutely love the food at Chutneys. Prawn Dosa, Lamb Sagwala, Salt & Pepper Prawn (?)... I could go on for days! :D

If you want to eat some authentic Indian food this is the place. Never had a meal that wasnt top!

My only gripe , and reason for not giving 5/5 is the attitude of the waiters. These days you have to repeatedly call the waiters. There is one male waiter who is excellent and he always takes the initiative to try and help out. The rest of the team needs to sharpen up. I hope something happens soon as it really is such a small thing to get right!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Unbelievable food and in a place like Gabs it is a must visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Food excellent quality. Security excellent. Service excellent. What more can one ask for when eating out? Location is convenient and the I can't recommend Chutney enough !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere