“Beautiful golf course setting. Great stay.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel to your Saves list
Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel
Golf Drive Phakalane, Gaborone 1000, Botswana   |
Somerset West, South Africa
“Beautiful golf course setting. Great stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

The setting of this hotel is great, totally surrounded by a verdant green golf course in an otherwise arid, brown setting. The golf course pathways (12km of trails) are a great place for running and walking in the cool early morning hours. The hotel itself is located about 10km NE of Gaborone in a quiet suburb, however there are a few supermarkets and cafes within about 20min walk from the hotel.

The rooms either front the golf course or the parking lot, so make sure to ask for a golf course view. Ground level rooms have sliding doors at back which give direct access to the golf course. The room was fairly large, nicely furnished, clean, and well-maintained. The bathroom was nice as well, however the shower was set up poorly such that water constantly shoots out the shower door, flooding the bathroom floor. One night there was no hot water but for the most part the shower was quite good. There was slow Wifi internet connection (free) in the rooms, but no minibar.

The service was pretty mediocre, not the friendliest nor the most helpful. They had no maps of the golf course trails or the local area. There is no gym of fitness center on the premises. The restaurant wasn’t too bad for evening meals but the breakfast was disappointing and overpriced.

Overall I had a great stay at the Phakalane and found it to be reasonable value. I would definitely recommend it to other travelers and wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again on future trips to Gaborone.

Room Tip: Ask for golf course view
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear Dan,

First of all I lwould like to thank you for taking the time to fil out your review.
Our rooms are indeed fairly large, they have been designed according to international 5-star standard sizes. I have investigated the situation with the shower in the room you have stayed in and our maintenance department has rectified the issue. Indeed we have mini-fridges in all rooms, that can be stocked upon request. This might not have been clear enough during your last stay; our Rooms Division Manager has had some signs printed to better advertise this. Unfortunately we do not have a gym on site, but there are plans for a full Health Spa/Squash & Tennis Courts/ Gym to be built this year.

Regarding your comments on the service, we have shared this information with our service teams and we have revived our training with a training program called "Lobster Ink". I will personally work with the Executive Chef regarding the breakfast offering.

Thanks again for your constructive feedback. As always we do appreciate it. It is a pleasure to hear you will consider us again in the future.

Bram Hendriks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice, first time I stayed was in August 2011 and had a brilliant stay. My most recent vist was not so impressive! On several occasions I returned to my room after a long day in the office to find no towels (on occasions I also had towels with massive holes in them!), the air conditioning was always turned off and my room was almost 40 degrees, BOILING!!! the reception desk staff not very friendly and need to learn to say sorry when things go wrong!!! wont stay there again if I can avoid it. Poor service and very greedy- I had one shower cap for 2 whole weeks and my requests for a new one were ignored and they dont like to replace your soap...

Room Tip: request a golf course view room, although we requested this but did not get it, rooms facing the car...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Dear Glob-Hopper29,

Thank you very much for your comments. We always strive to improve our service and your feedback is very valuable to us. My apologies we did not live up to your expectations during your recent trip. I have shared your concerns with our Housekeeping and Reception teams. I like to have the opportunity to meet you in person and assure you we are capable of delivering great customer service to our guests. Please contact me directly during your next visit.

Manama, Bahrain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

With limited options in Gaborone, this is not a bad choice. However, although it has apparently won some prizes, these must be in comparison with local options. In reality it doesn't compare that well with good hotels on a worldwide basis. The staff are friendly & helpful & it is clean, but basic in many ways.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Bram H, Manager at Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear ChrisMorg,

Thank you for your response. We have indeed won Botswana's Leading Hotel at the 2011 World Travel Awards and we have been nominated for 3 awards this year. I do appreciate we can not compare to the luxury resorts in the Middle East or Bahrain, but our hotel is brand new as you can see in all pictures and we like to see ourselves as the frontrunners in the Hospitality industry in Botswana. I am glad you enjoyed the friendliness and hospitality of our team here and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Lusaka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

this hotel is really great about abit away from town and its about $20 on a taxi from town. i was there for a workshop and really enjoyed my time there. Free golf lessons were offered after work hours. Internet was pretty slow but the rest was really great.

Room Tip: upper rooms on east of the main hotel give a better view of the golf course. however, there is no li...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Mulenga B,

Thank you very much for your kind words, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I am happy to inform you that we have recently upgraded our High Speed Internet and we actually offer Free WIFI in all hotel rooms and the Hotel Lobby, to better suit our business clientele's needs.

Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I spent four nights at the Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort in late October 2011. Set in the midst of the Phakalane Golf Course, the view from the rooms is spectacular. The rooms are more than comfortable and the staff are both willing and helpful. The food is also of a high standard. However, as they say, "the devil is in the details."

The Internet availability in the hotel is almost non-existent - even when one can coax it to work, it will only allow e-mail, not the receipt or transmission of any documents or attachments. Since I was there on work-related business, I was extremely frustrated by the lack of connectivity.

The staff members seem to multi-task - but they also seem to be able to handle the wide variety of assignments they are given. If there were better Internet available, the hotel would be excellent for a business traveller.

While this resort may be excellent for a golf holiday, it is unsuitable for business-related travel.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the golf course are wonderful!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011 via mobile

The Phalakane is away from busy CPD of Gaborone provide a traquil sport for business meetings and good atmosphere for a good round of golf ......

• Stayed September 2011
Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

I have stayed at The Villas in the Phakalane Golf Resort on a few occasions; they have finally opened the new hotel. On my recent trip to Gabs, unfortunately I did not stay at this new hotel, but one of the staff members was kind enough to give me a tour (thanks Portia). Wow, they have done a spectacular job with this hotel (see pictures). The rooms are all well appointed. The entire hotel has been decorated in a modern theme with tasteful African touches.

The hotel is close to the airport, but about a 30 minute drive to down town. I’ve stayed at a downtown hotel, and I much prefer being out on the golf course, the surroundings just can’t be beat. If you can handle the commute I would stay at Phakalane. The prices aren’t bad either. Enjoy your stay when you go.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel? Share your experiences!