“Very Comfortable Stay in Luanda” 4 of 5 stars

EPIC SANA Luanda Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua da Missao, Luanda, Angola   |
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Luanda
Baltimore, Maryland
“Very Comfortable Stay in Luanda”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

The hotel is beautifully appointed, very comfortable, has a safe feel and is centrally located. Breakfast is included, which is a huge help in such an expensive city.

Room service was great. No extra charges, just the price of the food and an optional tip. We always got our food within 30 minutes (faster than in the restaurant, in some cases).

The aqua/fitness/salon area was just beautiful. Steam room, jacuzzi and sauna all well kept and clean.There was an issue with tiles coming up in the bottom of the pool, but it was already being addressed by the time I checked out. I got a manicure in which the stylist gave me a cut that bled for 2 days. I mentioned it politely when it was time to pay (I was actively bleeding at the time), but the gentleman still charged me full price and asked how much I'd like to tip.

Housekeeping left a bit to be desired. A few times during my 2 week stay I had to call and specifically ask that my room be cleaned even as late as 3pm. They sweep floors, replace toilet paper and toiletries only if asked. I was impressed with the hotel's green initiative, and followed the instructions on the card only to find that my sheets and towels were changed every day anyway. The only thing that was never changed was the black throw blanket (which we avoided anyway as it a crusty white stain on it from the time we found it).

I'm assuming there's no bell service. When we arrived, a hotel employee (wearing a the signature Epic uniform) watched us struggle with all 4 of our suitcases, and simply stepped aside so that we could open the door ourselves. Once we checked in, the front desk agent also didn't offer to help us with bags. Also, there's some fancy card-swipe system to operate the elevator. No one told us about it and so we rode the elevator aimlessly for several minutes before returning to the front desk to have someone show us how to use it. Only after this embarassing ordeal did someone offer to help with our bags, and it was a front desk agent who very clearly was just doing us a favor.

They also don't seem to have a concierge. I called the front desk to ask about restaurants in the area and was told to come down to have the conversation. When I spoke to the gentleman in the reception, he literally refused to tell me the names of any restaurants, saying that I need to eat in one of the restaurants in the hotel (I wasn't interested in any more US$45 hamburgers or US$6 cans of coke). When I insisted that I'd like to go out, he said that he wasn't from the area and doesn't really know any restaurants and reiterated that we had better stay in. We eventually just googled a place and hoped for the best.

I had to stop short of 5 stars, because the value I received absolutely does not match the price
paid. I've had better service in hotels just as posh for a third of the price of Epic Sana. Also, a hotel with this many international customers really needs a concierge service.

Room Tip: the standard room was plenty spacious
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I have had a 20 night stay in this hotel, I am here on business and it seems that most of the people here are on business too. The hotel is very good and clean, truly a 5 stars hotel. The gym facility is one of the best I have seen in any hotel worldwide. And the service and upkeep are a little slow but professional. My only complain is that most of the staff does not speak any English, I have really had a very rough time with trying to describe what I wanted to eat. And most of the time I get something different that what I ordered because they didn't understand me. The food in the hotel could be better, but is ok. So other than problems with food, everything else is very acceptable. The hotel is very expensive, but it seems that this country is also very expensive in every aspect.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Best hotel in Luanda in June 2014. I have been staying here on and off six months per year for the last two years and have been in all the other hotels in Luanda before.
The hotel is, like everything else in Luanda, not far from the airport but it can take 90' to reach it! They are doing their best to provide the 5 stars required! Rooms: big, well furnished with very big bathrooms. The bedding is excellent and normally, all rooms come now with blackout curtains, A/C, safe, amenities and a big screen TV. The overall quality of service is fairly low! But Angola does not have a lot of qualified employees! I guess they are doing the best they can but do not expect big smiles around! The room service is non-existent and well below average in terms of quality and delivery times! Laundry is a major issue. Be careful what you ask for and follow up your laundry.
The Restaurant on the ground floor is average. They do not have a "Chef" as such and it shows. The Italian on the first floor is rather good but very pricy, as the rate of the rooms are. The pool area is well equipped and well exposed. How ever, the pool restaurant is very poor, which is sad, given the setup! In the overall, I would say that food in the hotel is well below the one expected in a 5* hotel, but it is acceptable. The bar is ok but smoking is allowed which is very annoying.

Room Tip: You don't have so much choice, so if you agree to pay 500 USD/night, this IS the only place to g...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Very comfortable hotel, excellent gym and nice outside restaurant and pool deck for lazy evenings overlooking the city. Unfortunately the service, albeit friendly, is very…very…slow for a hotel of this magnitude. At check in they took an imprint of my credit card (as I paid for the room in full in advance) but unfortunately they did not think to also validate the card for room and restaurant charges as is the norm around the world but seems not in Angola. So they spent an our hounding me to pay $50 for a light meal and glass of wine which I wanted to charge to the room as I did not have cash with me, rather than accept the charge to the room agains the credit card imprint and offer me more wine. Opportunity lost. Wake up guys.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Maputo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The hotel and place to be seen at. Good room big clean and modern with modern bathroom. I seem to have been given a upgrade as I had a small kitchen and lounge. Service very good, asked to have a shirt and pants ironed and was done quickly and professional. Resturant I had one supper and two breakfasts there all very good but the price was as expected expensive, when I went out with friends we found similar quality for lower price. Overall a good hotel but way to expensive.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This is one of the few 5* hotels in Luanda and therefore very pricey. Overall I would rate this as a 4* because the services sometimes do not meet a true 5* hotel, especially check in and check out can take long and some standard items are missing from your room. The hotel though is central in town and has a good choice of restaurants.
What they should seriously improve is the option to order a taxi for a reasonable price because this is where you get ripped off in Angola and if you don't speak the language, they will benefit from you.
Very pricey ($450-500 per night), but then again, not much choice due to lack of hotels in Luanda.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

If you arrive before 2PM, Epic Sana always try to charge you 100% of early checkin.
If you arrive early from a long trip and you don't want to pay the early checkin, the hotel makes you wait (even if they have available rooms).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to EPIC SANA Luanda Hotel? Share your experiences!