“Excellent Structure ZERO service” 2 of 5 stars

Talatona Convention Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rua Luanda Sul | Talatona, Luanda CCB4 GU02, Angola   |
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Luanda
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent Structure ZERO service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

This hotel is very nice the building itself is excellent the rooms are great its a really nice hotel BUT the service is the worst ever I have experienced so far keeping in mind this is a 5 STAR hotel. The staff does not speak English specially room service, housekeeping and laundry no English and very rude they just laugh at you.when your speaking with them.

Let me give you an example: Room service orders come in around 2 hours with something always missing. One time I ordered dinner at 8:30pm it came at 11 ! Yes of-course I called them to follow up but you don't get anywhere. I must admit someone called me to apologies but that's besides the point I waited until 11!

They take your clothes to the laundry without you telling them to obviously bring you the bill later.

The do not put for you a new bottle of water its just the one.

In the lobby cafe you ask for the menu 3 times and wait 15 mins till you get it.......

This hotel needs to revamp its service.

Oh the printer in the business center never worked during my 4 nights stay.

I asked for an airport transfer they could not help me.

A really funny hotel when it comes to services.

Do not get me wrong nice clean rooms good food if you get it

Room Tip: Try to stay on the 5th floor away from the lift room service need 2 hours to deliver your meal in th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Luanda, Angola
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is nice and spacious, it has good outdors as well. But the service and food are a disapoitment - lack of choice, not soo good quality for a 5 star hotel, and bad slow service. Again when the hotel claims to have the stamp of perfereed hotels in the world you wonder how they got it?

• Stayed January 2012
Luanda
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012 via mobile

The pros
Nice building
Large and comfortable rooms
Nice location in most recent area of Luanda, albeit distant from downtown

The cons
Very poor level of service everywhere
Empty mini bar, need to call for a coke!
No turn down service
No hand or face towels, only two bath towels
No shampoo
No towels in the gym, managed by a third party company
Fairly high prices all over

• Stayed January 2012
Hants
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

Beautiful hotel, stunning room. Rude, rude people. Room service arrived cold and staff very unhelpful and would not change food or refund. Disgusting.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dublin, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I was delighted when I checked in to find a complementary 1.5 liter bottle of water. Usually, in countries where you should not drink the water, I find two 0.5 liter bottles, but some hotels only provide 0.5 liters per person. The next evening, I was dismayed when I returned from a long day to find that the water had not been replenished. I checked the minibar and found it contained nothing. Often in countries where you can't drink the water the minibar contains more "free" bottled water and expensive mineral water.

I called the front desk, who said that I had to speak to housekeeping and transferred me. Housekeeping said that you only got free water on the day you checked in. I called the front desk and asked to speak to the manager. The manager told me that was their policy. I said that was ridiculous in a country where the water would make me sick. And that in almost 30 years to traveling the world on business, I had never encountered a hotel of this type in a country where the water was not potable that didn't provide any free water. It was only when I complained about paying about $20 for water the night before in the a la carte restaurant when I asked for "bottled water." I had been careful not to ask for "mineral water." Then she agreed send the water up free, but I guess I will find out when I see the bill.

Food in Angolan hotels is notoriously expensive. Breakfast is usually excellent and bundled with the night's stay, but other meals are astronomical. The bill for an octopus (appetizer) salad and the "bottled water" was over $50 with about $20 of that for the water. When I ordered the waitress said in a tone that sounded like I was asking for a single cracker, "Is that all?" Without asking my water preference they poured from a large bottle of Voss. I came no where close to drinking it all and they didn't offer me the remainder.

Breakfast was very good.

Besides being stingy with the water, they are parsimonious with towels and toiletries. While I had housekeeping on the phone from the "water" issue, I asked if it was there policy to only provide toiletries on the day of check-in. They claimed it was!!!!

There was the usual card about replacing towels on the floor but not on the rack. The room initially had one hand towel and 2 very nice fluffy bath towels and a bath mat. The second night, there were no hand towels and one of the used bath towels that had been on the floor was folded and placed on the edge of the tub. There was what appeared to be one new towel on the rack and the bath mat looked fresh.

The bed was comfortable. There was no card asking about changing the linens and the linens were not changed.

There was lots of "Preferred Hotels and Resorts" literature in the room and in the book, the hotel (which is a little over a year old) was listed as a new member. The chain claims to be 5 stars, but not by my standards.

The wake-up call was 15 minutes late. When I requested the wake-up call, the front desk had trouble understanding my request for 6:30. Finally, I said, "half past six". Based on the verbal exchange, I set my cell phone alarm and it wakened me on time.

The staff in on the front desk and in the a la carte restaurant have trouble understanding English. The first night the front desk could not understand the request for a 6:30 wake up call and I had to say "half past six." The second night "half past six" didn't work and I had to say 6:30. In the a la carte restaurant it took 3 people before someone had sufficient English to confirm that they were the only a la carte restaurant and the coffee shop was only buffet.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Considering how recently Luanda has started acquiring international standard hotels, this place is the best bet for business or leisure hotels. The hotel is in a guarded complex in the new southern section of the city, on a good day 35 minutes from the airport. Excellent rooms, great beds with pillow-top mattresses, spotlessly clean, very good service from the hotel staff (Daniel the cappuccino guy in the cafe especially so) , two good restaurants (the Italian upstairs is very good with very attentive staff), a fantastic gym and business centre, and free wi-fi in the public areas and free broadband in the rooms are all pluses. Points to note (it would be wrong to say bad points as these are mostly features of Luanda generally and I definitely don't mark the hotel down because of them):

- the hotel does not take Amex and telephone reservations can only be done with Visa

- the driving in Luanda is pretty reckless, and the drivers running the hotel's airport transfers are no exception: get comfortable with doing 160kph along Samba Road (it's a 30kph zone), and pray to whichever Being you feel closest to

- the hotel is expensive, over $650 per night for a double room, and food is also expensive by international standards but it is the best in town so is entitled to charge for that

- the printers in the business centre are networked and don't always work, so if you are trying to print out your boarding pass and can't, you will get bumped to the slow check-in queue when you get to the airport. Always make sure you carry a print of your e-ticket as you cannot get through the pre check-in security without it

- the Hotel is quite a way from the airport, and by 0600 the traffic is hell. To indicate, one of us left the hotel at 0515 and got to the airport by 0600, the other left at 0615 and got to the airport at 0900. Nothing to do at the airport, but better leave early than miss the flight.

Room Tip: Be on the west side, as the generators are on the other side and when the power cuts out, they can b...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel. very big, quite clean and the staff is friendly enough (especially the restaurant breakfast staff). However, communication was an issue calling room service. I had to wait more than an hour for someone to come collect my clothes for urgent pressing; that's after spending more than 5 minutes explaining what I needed.
The meeting room we used was top class and the coffee break was rich and fresh.
Internet was pretty good.
The hotel is quite far from the airport though and expensive.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Talatona Convention Hotel? Share your experiences!