“Bad end to the holiday” 1 of 5 stars
Review of A'Zambezi River Lodge

You added A'Zambezi River Lodge to your Saves list
A'Zambezi River Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   308 Parkway Drive | P O Box 150, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe   |
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Victoria Falls
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cape Town
“Bad end to the holiday”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

This place is terrible! The river front setting is lovely, but that's about it. The rooms are not great, and the food extremely average. As two young women travelling together, we found the staffs' 'friendliness' bordering on inapropriate. Be warned - the prices here are extortionate. US$40 for a bottle of wine! Which is more than double the price at Ilala Lodge, a FAR more classy establishment. When querying this, the manager gave a very long winded story about import duty etc, etc, but the prices for local Zim wine (US$20) were also more than twice that at Ilala. All in all a horrible experience, and surely not a place the Mercure hotel group would be proud to have next to it's name.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2007

We have just returned from Victoria Falls on a family holiday and we were lucky enough to stay at this Hotel. We found the bigger Hotels close to Victoria Falls town very commercialised, and found the A'Zambezi to be situated in a lovely remote spot just out of town - we loved the fact that we were right next to the great Zambezi River going to sleep and waking up to the wildlife sounds was something amazing.
The staff we found were very very helpful throughout our week stay, the attitudes were genuine. The restaurant staff were fantastic towards us and nothing was a problem. It is a shame currently that there are not alot of tourists, I think in total there were only about 10 rooms occupied, one could only imagine what it was like back years ago when Victoria Falls was a busy place. We read the "guest book" and most of the clients were complaining about the current exchange rate and how expensive the Hotel was. Yes due to the current "offical excange rate" it is expensive for any tourist after you convert back to your own currency, but my arguement is that it is not up to the staff to determine/dictate the exchange rates so why would you get grumpy at them, they are only doing there job and in my opinion they are doing there job very well.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Location Next to the River
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Calgary Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2006

My 3 children and I stayed at A'Zambezi for 4 nights the end of July. It was quite lovely and clean in our 2 bedroom family room.
The staff were very friendly, curteous and helpful. Leaving the room cleaner a US$2.00 each morning, the one guy wrote me a letter thanking me for my gift and God blessing my family on our travels. The resturant was nice, open air seating overlooking the Zambezi river. Breakfast was lovely, one morning the electricity was off, however they still produced a hot breakfast of eggs to order bacon, sausage etc. and most importantly my coffee. The waiters were above and beyond I have EVER met in either Canada or the USA. One waiter spent 1/2 hour showing my 9 year old how to fold napkins it 10 different fancy ways. The sad thing was the hotel has 83 room of which only about 5 were occupied. The shuttle ran every hour, one night we missed the shuttle outside the Kingdom, however the door man at the Kingdom took us to the reception and had them call our A'Zambezi, who then sent a shuttle just for us. All in all a great experience

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — out of town
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2006

We spent 2 nights at A'Zimbabwe a short distance from Victoria Falls. The grounds are nice but the hotel appears to be having problems. Our room was infested with some kind of tiny, jumping bugs (maybe fleas?)...we're talking about a lot of 'em. DIdn't even notice them except for a few the first night; then the second night a white bathmat on the floor seemed to attract them. We had just come off a tent safari in SA so perhaps our standards were relaxed...we suffered no consequences and no bites.

The hotel shuttle to Vic Falls was broken but the hotel would pay for a taxi, IF IT WAS CALLED FOR WHEN THE SHUTTLE WOULD HAVE LEFT!! Hey, the cost for a taxi wasn't all that bad but I think other htels looked better. I would try the Elephant Hills next door.

AC worked; breakfast was OK; a nice open air bar (real cheap booz I think); dinner was OK and the entertainment of about 5-6 singers/dancers were enjoyed by about 4 diners...just a bit sparse. Hey, it's Zimbabwe. I was happy just to be safe.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Derry, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

While spending two weeks in Harare, Zimbabwe, my husband and I took a 2 night trip to Victoria Falls. We flew on Air Zimbabwe from Harare to Victoria Falls, and then rented a car to get around. Warning: Car rentals are extremely expensive (it cost us nearly $1000 USD for 2.5 days) and not entirely necessary. We would not rent a car again. A'Zambezi is about a 15-20 minute drive from the airport. Due to the current political situation in Zimbabwe, tourism is down, so there were very few people at the hotel. As my husband was checking in, a waitress brought me a cold juice, which was appreciated. The hotel is set up with several buildings of 2 stories each surrounding a green lawn with a pool, hot tub, and open-air restaurant. Beyond the lawn is the breath-taking Zambezi River. We were brought to our room and shown how to use the lights, a/c, etc. The room was average-sized, with 1 queen bed and a balcony. It was absolutely comfortable, clean, and relaxing. I enjoyed sitting on our balcony in the evening, and taking in the sights and sounds around me. We ate 1 lunch and 2 dinners at the restaurant. Lunch consisted of a basic menu, and decent food. I found the food in Zimbabwe to be just so-so on the whole, and the food here was slightly better than what I found elsewhere. Dinner consisted of a large buffet, featuring both traditional African fare, as well as more Westernized choices. The best part of dinner was the entertainment! They feature traditional musicians and dancers nightly. It was a true highlight. Also, departing right from the hotel, is an evening sunset cruise on the Zambezi. They serve all you can drink cocktails, beer, and softdrinks, along with delicious appetizers. Do not miss the boat trip! Included in our room rate was a very nice breakfast, with cereal, fruit, and cooked-to-order eggs. The hotel is a short drive from the falls themselves. All in all, we were very pleased with this hotel, and should we ever be in the area again, we will be staying at A'Zambezi!

• Liked — Service was wonderful!!
  • Disliked — The food could have been better/more varied
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to A'Zambezi River Lodge? Share your experiences!