“best B n B in Victoria Falls - pleasant atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lorries Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Victoria Falls
Lorries Bed and Breakfast
397 Reynard Road, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe   |
Singapore, Singapore
“best B n B in Victoria Falls - pleasant atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I chose Lorries as it is reasonably priced and it has air-conditioned room. The alternative would have been at the Elephants. However, I can vouch that Lorries room has no musty smell. The air-con worked just fine and there was no problem with mosquitoes even without mosquito net.

We arrived in Livingstone (from JNB); took a cab to the border. Took another cab from Zambian border to Zimbabwe border - no way my family nor I will walk with my luggage on that hot and dusty road. After a similar quick and easy clearance on the Zimbabwe side, took a cab to Lorries. On the way, stopped at Shearwater to confirm and book for our adventure package.

Lorrie herself greeted us and Clive showed us to our rooms. That afternoon, we went for the helicopter spectacular and the river cruise before returning to Lorries. Luckily, Lorrie had anticipated and cooked us dinner. We have to pay, of course - LOL. My wife reminded me to commend that Lorrie is a good cook. we loved the mushrooms. You must ask her to make tiramisu pudding, which I had the following night.

Lorrie then helped me to confirm my booking at Chobe with the Botswana organiser. Note there is no wifi available. Also, she got a driver, Peter, to see me. Incidentally, we had Peter to help us on our remaining two days when we returned from Chobe. She kept our luggage for us during our absence. She got up early the following morning to make breakfast for us so that we can be off at 7.30am.

On the day of our departure, we left the place at 6 am for the Lion encounter. We did not have breakfast at Lorries.

Note that accommodation and food is not cheap. I sincerely hope that there will be places for tourists just to lay their heads for the night without frills. However, with good bargaining skills, the curios are cheaper here than in Mpumalanga, South Africa where it is near impossible to bargain.

Room Tip: get the air-conditioned room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We arrived in Victoria falls over the bridge from Zambia . We picked a taxi up at the border ( and got ripped off- the fare shouldn't be the $15 we paid) and drive through the small town centre to where Lorries b&b is situated in a residential area about 20 minutes walk from the centre.

We were met at the gates by two barking dogs who we soon got to know as Bandit and Jo-Jo. Lorrie and her right hand man George weren't far behind.

We were shown to our room which was the one with A/C but Lorrie explained that bed doesn't have a mosquito net so we opted for a non A/C room with net and natural A/C via the windows!

The b&b is two buildings in quite substantial gardens with a small pool. We were in the bungalow which had a central communal area with two bedrooms but as there were no other guests we had the whole thing to ourselves . The room was a decent size as was the bathroom and the shower worked well with plenty of hot water .

Lorries isn't a slick, modern boutique b&b. it's a little worn in places ( they are planning some refurbishment) and quirky ( I liked the South African home and garden magazines from 1990!) but its clean and homely .

The real plus point is the people. Lorrie has a great network of contacts and will go out of her way to help you. We had a last minute change of plans on how to get to Hwange National Park and Lorrie stepped in and organised a lodge and transport with a few phone calls. The hub of the B&B is the bar area, manned by George. It's like a neighbourhood bar with assorted locals , friends and hotel guests popping by for a beer and a chat or to ask for Lorries help on any random subject ( Halloween fancy dress outfit for a party tonight please, was one!). We generally headed back to George's bar at the end of the night in preference to the rather quiet nightlife in town.

Breakfast was served in an adjoining room and was cold buffet followed by home cooked breakfast which was nice.

People had expressed concern when we said we were visiting Zimbabwe but we needn't have worried. There are a few boys selling old bank notes and trinkets in town but the main night time danger seems to be bumping into an elephant . We therefore generally used taxis to get to and from town ($4 - Lorrie can call a reliable driver)

The price of the room was $100 which I felt was a little expensive but hotels do seem expensive in Zimbabwe , Zambia and Botswana.

In summary, if you're looking for a slick , sterile hotel experience, Lorries probably isn't for you. If you enjoy feeling like you're staying with friends in a pleasant location, then you'll love it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Givat Shapria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have just returned home after a month travelling in Southern Africa (South Africa, Botswana & Zimbabwe) with my wife and 3 daughters (14,12,7). The last night of our trip was spent at Lorries B&B in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. We spent 2 amazing days in Vic Falls. An important element in our amazing time in Vic Falls - was Lorries B&B.
Lorries had been recommended to us but we had no idea what we were in for. Lorries is run by Lorrie and Clive with George helping out in the Bar - two wonderful people who put their all into ensuring that their guest have a memorable time in Vic Falls. The location of Lorries is perfect. Its in what is called a low density suburb - minutes from the town center by taxi. (Lorrie organised us a taxi driver (Peter) who would come pick us up, take us to where we want and then pick us up again.
The B&B is lovely. We had the cottage (2 large on-suite bedrooms, large lounge, with an area with 2 additional beds). My girls thought the bedrooms were "princesses bedrooms" so we had to use the 2 extra beds in the lounge area, while they were in their fantasy bedrooms. Soon after we arrived the girls dived into the swimming pool that is in the center of the property and had a good time playing in the pool and with Lorries two dogs - both very playful and creating that true home atmosphere. We sat in the bar and started talking to Lorrie and Clive - it was like being in Africa of old. We got our bearings from Lorrie and then Peter picked us up for a trip to the market and bungee jumping off Victoria bridge. That night we sat in the Bar and listened to stories from Lorrie, Clive and George. Clive is an ex farmer and George is a retired military officer. It was so interesting listening to the stories and learning about Zimbabwe's history, present and their views on the future. Also at the bar was Ian, a renowned environmentalist who shared a bit of his wealth of information about wildlife in Zimbabwe. Great guy.
Lorries B&B is an experience in itself and I would NOT visit Vic Falls again without staying at Lorries. Its simple, very comfortable and charming - great value. 10 out of 10 on my scale.

Room Tip: if you are a family - ask for the cottage.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Salisbury
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I am guessing that I did not have the same room as the other people had! My room was dirty. There were no pillow protectors on the pillows and sticking out was the dirtiest old stained pillows. Luckly I had my own little travel pillow. As there was no headboard the wall was almost black with grime. I was very careful to make sure I did not see under the bottom sheet to the mattress!! The floor was dirty and as for the bathroom.........yek!
I met another couple who had stayed there and I found out that they had been charged half of what I had for supper. As you can imagine I was not happy. They had stayed in different rooms and it sounded like their room was a lot better than mine.
I am happy to do basic but not dirty.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Wonderful place with very friendly staff. All suggestions for activities were excellent and well thought out given we had 2 teenage kids with us.
Rooms were comfortable and clean.

Great asset is the little pub where conversation with the local residents is entertaining and interesting. Be sure to ask about the 990 billion check on the wall!

Staying here with a family will require use of a taxi, however Lorrie has a wonderful driver. We loved Peter.

As an extra activity consider a visit to the Rose of Charity orphanage for kids whose parents have died from HIV. Wonderful kids and very dedicated staff!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Lorries' lodge is a very nice place where you can experience the life of the people there.
You have a great garden, a bar where people from Vict Falls like to have a drink, and most of all a very warm atmosphere, with Lorrie, always ready to help you and give you advices, Clive her very nice partner, and George, the 81 years old man in charge of the bar.
This is simple, clean and very affordable (around 40$ per person, which is really cheap compared to all big hotels around)..
You can eat there also.
The value is excellent for the price!
You can contact Lorrie at this email adress : lorrie@mweb.co.zw
Aurélie H

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

We had a great time at Lorrie's B & B-- the gardens are beautiful, the rooms comfortable, and the whole place has a homey feel. We were greeted by Lorrie and Clive after arriving very late-- since we hadnt eaten dinner and the restaurants were closed Lorrie prepared some food for us! Breakfasts were delicious, loved the always available tea and coffee. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for reasonably price rooms that focus on comfort rather than frills. When i tried to book had trouble finding contact info, so I asked Lorrie for her email: lorrie@mweb.co.zw. Phone: +263 13 42139. One note: there are 2 cute dogs who are very friendly, so if you really dislike dogs, this is probably not the place for you!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Lorries Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!