“There is basic and then there is badly managed basic. . . .” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hippo Pools Wilderness Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harare
Hippo Pools Wilderness Camp
You added Hippo Pools Wilderness Camp to your Saves list
Umfurudzi Safari Area, Harare, Zimbabwe   |
Ranked #17 of 36 Specialty Lodging in Harare
Harare, Zimbabwe
“There is basic and then there is badly managed basic. . . .”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I would like to point out that I am solely commenting on the accommodation. I only spent one night at the camp (out of two booked), and had a very limited impression of the conservation efforts in the area.

The cottages in Hippo Pools Wilderness Camp are thatched roof stone buildings that are pretty old and haven't seen any work since. The thatch was in poor condition on the one we stayed in, so it was covered with a plastic foil which defeats the purpose - especially when it is all about nature. My biggest issue with this place is basically that I had asked to book two cottages, as we were three families with a total of 6 kids. The company insisted on putting us all into one. Not surprising if you check their pricing scheme - prices are per person, not per house. That way, more money is made by cramming.

The house, while it nominally had four bedrooms, only had one bathroom, which is rather tight for 10 people. The bedrooms were tiny, and although I had pointed out at booking that two families would have to sleep in them with their kids, they hardly fit one extra mattress on the floor in addition to the two single beds. At booking I had been promised that there would be plenty of space. At booking I was also promised that the rooms would be arranged in advance, with all the beds set up, but when we arrived nothing had been done and we had to do it ourselves. To make matters worse our bedroom had a window into the kitchen (?) so at night even the most careful movements in the kitchen woke up our baby, while the bedroom was lit up from the kitchen light. I had to wedge a seat cushion into the window to get some peace.

I did say I won't comment on conservation - but one thing needs to be mentioned. When you are into protecting the environment and offering eco tourism, why on earth do you have old-type light bulbs everywhere, happily burning through the generally rather scarce electricity in Zimbabwe, and especially in a remote place like this. Yes, in a perfect world I would have expected solar and LED, but at least use energy saving bulbs. . . .

Now I know that I shouldn't expect that much, there is always people saying that the tourism industry in Zimbabwe has it hard and it is expensive to run even basic places like this. Well, I have experienced different. Look at other reviews of mine for places in Zimbabwe, they include one National Parks authorities run place (and they are really cash strapped) and one private place. Both offer much better quality at much less in equally difficult circumstances.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Blantyre, Malawi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at this quirky little eco-tourism 'lodge'. It is right on the river with hippos and crocs and the resident Jimmy (a type of monitor lizard). The thatched cottage we stayed in catered for 8 but be mindful that 2 of the bedrooms are only accessible by an out door - ie not connected to the cottage - just built on at the end. So going there as a group of families does not really work that well. It had a gas fridge and cooker, crockery and cutlery and everything you basically need to cook - but dont expect sharp knives! There was plenty to occupy the kids from canoeing, fishing, swimming, walking amongst the 3000 labelled trees and forest area, walking, horse riding, and game driving. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves even though it rained....a wonderful place for kids to enjoy the outdoors.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hippo Pools Wilderness Camp? Share your experiences!