“Best Chicken in Harare” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
USA
“Best Chicken in Harare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is our favorite restaurant in Harare. The service is great, the atmosphere is amazing, and their chicken is spectacular. My wife gets something different every time, but I stick with the Chicken Maryland....can't go wrong with breaded chick, corn fritters, bacon, and their potatoes. Definitely worth a trip...you won't be disappointed.

Visited December 2012

Harare, Zimbabwe
“Alo Alo - Goodbye”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

On a recent Sunday, (25th November), my wife and I arrived at the restaurant about 11.30 am, to have a coffee, and perhaps brunch, if something took our fancy. We had been impressed with the new location, and had been determined to try it out for sometime.

On arrival, we were surprised, but not dismayed to see it completely empty, but open. We walked up to the door, and asked the waiter just inside, if we could sit outside under the trees. He told us that the restaurant was fully booked, and that he had been instructed to accept no more customers. I was dumbstruck, looking at the expanse of emptiness, and queried whether we could have a coffee at least - we had just driven 10km to visit the place! He said he would check with management, and disappeared into the back of the premises.

After a short wait, with no tangible signs of life, we left, quite disappointed. I have no problem, with somewhere being fully booked, but surely you are not expecting a simultaneous arrival of about 30 tables of people, for lunch, at 11.30 am. And if it is a private function occupying the whole restaurant, put up a sign saying so.

As it was, we went off to one of our old favourites, had coffee and brunch, spent about $25.00, and were done in less than an hour.

Too often we hear the complaint in Harare that business is slow, times are hard, but in reality guys, try listening to the customers, and what they want or need on a regular basis. Its not always about the minutest detail of the taste of the food, but how this works for me.

I have never given a venue a slating before, but this was my unfortunate experience here. No one was rude, nor unpleasant, and there could well be factors I have no means of comprehending. To mitigate these however, keep the staff in the loop, and be flexible as well.

I will return, hopefully to find them actually seating customers, and will review them again.

Visited November 2012
Paris, France
“"ok food and the blessing: open on Sundays!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I like Alo Alo especially the way they have done the decorations. The service is efficient and the food comes fast. The food is not the best in town but they try their best. It is a bit pricey but not as expensive as victoria 22. The only thing strange I did not like "sliced banana on a rice plate with curry". The owners make every effort to serve you even if the kitchen is about to close at 2pm.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Harare
“tastefull & cosy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Behind a shopping centre in Arundel you find this nice restaurant. They receive you very pleasantly and feel quickly at home. The food is good for the price they serve. A place to come back and enjoy the surroundings with good food.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, Scotland
“Big portions!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

It was good to have a return to liberal amounts of garlic, while the steak itself was juicy and tasty.

Visited October 2012