“A HOME FROM HOME” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Harare
Winchester, UK
“A HOME FROM HOME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed at the Bronte for 2 months in February and March this year. I travel extensively in Africa and can honestly say that no other hotel has made me feel more "at home". The genuine care of the front line staff was amazing. From people like Carlene, Arab, Norbert and their colleagues at reception to Cloud and his colleagues in the Palms Restaurant and to Tonderay and his colleagues who kept my room spotless, everyone at the Bronte was superb.
Internet access was at times better than here in the UK and there was never a problem getting it topped up at any time of the day or night.
I had a "superior" room which was large and spacious with a beautiful modern bathroom. Unlike many hotels in Africa catering for non-Africans, the Bronte's room rates were excellent value for money.
Of course, the gardens are the "jewel in the Crown" - beautifully maintained, carefully designed and an oasis within a very busy noisy city. The relaxed atmosphere is very conducive to meeting other guests and I was lucky to make some very good friends as a result.
A number of others have commented that the buildings are old and somewhat lacking in modern facilities. If you want to stay in a concrete, steel and glass box with plush plastic decoration then the Bronte is not for you - there are many international hotel chains which will satisfy your needs. During 2 months I watched the renovation programme which is in progress, yet not once was I distrubed by noise.
Palms restaurant does provide an excellent breakfast. There is a "daily special" which is usually excellent and makes a change when you have been through the standard menu several times. Of course there were the occasional "hiccups" but these were sorted fairly quickly.
I hope that when I return the Bronte will have a room for me. Thanks to the Bronte Team - your customer care focus really seems genuine and not just " going through the motions" Look after your staff - they are what makes the Bronte special.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Famina O, General Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear David

It was our pleasure having you stay with us and we thank you for the great review. We are glad our staff went the extra mile to make you feel at home and that our facilities were to your satisfaction.

We look forward to your next visit.

Bronte Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Second time i am visiting the place and the grounds are simply great. Ever green and it's an ideal place to relax and work. Careful though on the groundrooms as there are bound to have safari ants which are not friendly at night. Had the experience and i appreciate the response from the staff. A little antihistamines and the rashes were gone. Keep up the good work and just check the rooms to ensure there are no such incidence(s) in the future

Room Tip: Good place to relax...higher floors reccomended
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Famina O, Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Eric

Thank you for your positive review we do try our best to meet and exceed our customer expectations. We will definitely look into the ant problem you mention in the ground floor rooms.

We look forward to your next visit!

Best regards

Copenhagen, Staden Kobenhavn, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The garden is amazing and worth the stay in itslef. Rooms are ok and service is also ok, whereas food is mediocre, unless you opt for the seperate restaurant Emmanuels, which is very good. If you discount the garden then it is probably not so good value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Famina O, General Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Peter

Thank you for your review, we are pleased that you enjoyed our lovely gardens and fine dining restaurant (Emmanuel's). We note your concerns about the food quality in the Palm's and will do our best to make improvements. In order for us to offer improved value for money, the hotel is in the process of upgrading its standard rooms (24 completed in March this year), we introduced superior and executive suites last year.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bronte.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I went for work, enjoyed the beautiful grounds and great hospitality.
Fabulous breakfast all the fruits I love enjoying while in Africa. Very helpful hotel staff, I felt cold and needed an extra blanket and got it. Fab grounds. Made it seem all the better for the amount of work I had to do while there. Only warning like most of Africa internet availability is a bit poor.

Famina O, Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made it extra special. Regarding WIFI, we have advised our service provider to address your concern.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have just returned from a business trip, having not visited Harare since 1995. I stayed at the Bronte simply because another businessman I was meeting in Harare had booked in here. Neither of us had stayed here before, but both of us will book here again on our next trip. Let's just say I'd rather hold all my meetings in the gardens and buildings of this fine establishment than anywhere else in Harare.

The staff are very helpful and genuinely friendly, and when I use the word genuinely, I really do mean it. This is of course a trait of most Zimbabwean citizens, however, when your well-being is inquired after, it is great to know the person inquiring is actually interested in hearing your answer as opposed to using it simply as a greeting. I stayed in a superior room which was modern, well furnished and very clean, including the linen and the carpet. It was so clean it looked like I was the first guest. My worldwide test of cleanliness is whether I'm happy to walk barefoot in my room. This room passed my test with top marks. The bathroom also looked like it had recently been refurbished. The fittings looked brand new and it was also exceptionally clean. The room was spacious and had everything one might need including a keypad safe.

One of the major benefits to me was their hotel-wide free Wifi. You are limited to 200Mb per day, but that was sufficient for me as all I wanted to do was catch up on emails and read the news sites. This service was available at all times and it was surprisingly fast. I really did appreciate this free service as so many other hotels I have stayed in either charge you for WiFi access or it is terribly slow and/or unreliable.

So, to the negatives - the TV reception was very dodgy in my room, only two channels were clear enough to watch. The bathroom towels were not what one could describe as fluffy, it was as if the water they had been washed in was quite hard or perhaps they had run out of softener. Then there was a very strange noise at night, one that actually woke me, which is a feat in itself. It sounded like someone was loading a shipping container by throwing the goods into it every now and then, very odd. So if you stay at the Bronte don't stay in room 211.

In conclusion - I don't travel to watch TV, so that wasn't a train smash, and with free Wifi one can receive ones news on ones iPad or laptop; the towels were clean and far from threadbare, so I could live with them being less fluffy than expected and the noise, whilst irritating, was not so bad that I could not sleep, besides, the bed was just how I like a bed, not too soft, more on the firm side. I will return there on my next trip and when I do I will simply request a different room.

This hotel is a special place. The pure beauty of the gardens and the staff make it so. As I commented to my colleague over a delicious breakfast buffet while seated outdoors - it is a pity our trip is so short, sitting here in these beautiful surroundings makes one wish one could stay longer. I now look forward to my next trip to Harare.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not in the same block as 211.
Famina O, Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear PT Cooper

Thank you for your review , we are glad that our facilities and service met and surpassed your expectations. Regrettably we do apologize for the noise that disturbed your sleep, on further investigations we discovered that it was being caused by a water hammer in the plumbing. This and the poor TV reception have since been rectified by our maintenance team. Regarding fluffy towels we are looking into softening our borehole water.

Once again we would like to thank you for bringing these matters to our attention and hope to see you soon.

Best wishes

Hallevik, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a few times and it has a lovely atmosphere. The staff are doing everything to help you out when you need them. The food is very good and tasty, however, the service a bit slow even if there are few guests.
They do have a swimming pool but I wouldn't recommend you to take a swim. It is quite filthy.
I wish they had AC since it can be quite hot in the rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Famina O, Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Pellerina

Thank you for your review. The hotel is in the process of upgrading its standard rooms, once complete, will either have ceiling fans or air conditioning units. Our swimming pool is also due for a face lift this winter. Regarding slow service in the restaurant we are carrying out waiter training in order to improve our service standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bronte.

Edingen-Neckarhausen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

When bronte was completely booked out and the other hotels in harare were insanely costly the reception of bronte was helpful in identifyingthe baines hotel opposite the road. decent spacious rooms, wlan complementary, hot shower and good breakfast buffet with attentive service made the stay pleasant. nex time coming to HarareIi shall book in again.

Famina O, Manager at Bronte Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Martin

Thank you for your positive review on the Baines bed and breakfast, please feel free to post a separate review on their Tripadvisor page.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Bronte or Baines.

Bronte Team

Been to Bronte Hotel? Share your experiences!