“Three Nights in Tunisia, with apologies to Dizzy Gillespie” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Du Parc

You added Hotel Du Parc to your Saves list
Hotel Du Parc
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue de l'Arabie Saoudite | BP 230, Tunis 1002, Tunisia   |
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Tunis
Cleveland, Ohio
“Three Nights in Tunisia, with apologies to Dizzy Gillespie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

Away from the public areas, there is a threadbare feel to this hotel that is, at first, off-putting. The hallways are stark and somewhat musty. Our room seemed shabby and worn, at first glance. Odd, for what appears to be a relatively new (30 years old?) hotel! However, these rough edges belie an otherwise clean and friendly place with a helpful, attentive staff that made for a very pleasant stay in Tunis. Over the course of four days in Tunis we found the location quite convenient to both the downtown and the airport. The easy-to-use metro (Metro Leger) is a quick walk from the hotel (Mohamed V station) and provides excellent inexpensive service to all parts of the city. The hotel's dining room offers an extensive breakfast buffet as well as tasty full-service dinners. Another plus: the hotel is adjacent to practice athletic fields and is, therefore, NOT subject to the noise and hubbub of hotels on the "main drag". We kept our window open all night to catch the breezes.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Arabic first
Milano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

The hotel is conveniently located between the airport and the city center. The staff is very polite and helpful. The rooms are quite basic (no frigobar), but super clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet is good and complete (there's everything, from poached eggs to croissants).

• Liked — clenliness
  • Disliked — internet available only using you own laptp and at a charge. But in a emergency staff let me use the p.c. in thei office
  • Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

excellent hôtel, very clean, the food is delicious, the staf is helpful, I really liked my experience..not expensive for hotel in the down town.I'm from Montreal, and i recommande it.

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

Normally I write reviews about hotels where I spent at least a night. But this hotel just begged for a review singly based on the food that was on their menu. I had lunch here on thursday June 26th 2008 as part of a Tunis-Carthage excursion. But I exaggerate allready, since I nearly touched the lunch to be honest. It was a gruesome sight, beginning with the started, a salad that was very poorly prepared but still better than that which was still to come. The second course was pasta with turkey. Good news was the pasta, which was acceptable.

The turkey
Let me start by mentioning that I can understand that they do not serve the best food on the menu to hungry travellers that are passing by with busses with budget-limited excursions. That is perfectly normal. But there is a minimum, a level at which the cook should know his professional pride and not go below. This cook had no pride and what he served was a crude mix of bones, fat and traces of turkey. The looks of it, ruined my appetite for a long time afterwards and even the pasta I did not touch at the sight of the turkey. I have never looked at such a terrible plate of food in my whole life, and hope that it will stay that way.

I just warn about the downside to this place, apart from the fact that the photo with the light-effects gives to much credit to a quite dull accomodation close to the expressway. I hope that this hotel and it's restaurant treats other guests better than it did me.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — The Turkey
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Tunis hotels

U.S.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

Stayed at the hotel for four nights and five days.

Hotel DuParc is splendidly clean! The public areas and the individual rooms are cleaned meticulously by staff daily! The receptionists are French, Arabic, and English speaking. They were very accommodating to my requests and prompt in responding to my questions. The room with one bed (king, I think) is large compared to other hotels. I like the mirrors in the room. Two big ones plus the ones in the bathroom! Lots of drawers and big closets. I see the cityscape and a football field outside my window as this hotel caters to the footbal players in
Tunis.

My package came with daily breakfast. it was a great breakfast - good starter with both hot and cold items. The croissants are to die for! Fresh and warm daily. Tried the fig jam as well. Tried the restaurant for one night and I was very pleased because the chef accommodated my request for a seafood special which is not on the menu.

The hotel is a 15 - 20 minute walk to the main drag/avenue. It has a concierge/tour desk. I took the option of hiring their private car for a tour of the countryside (north and south) for three days. I had fun during the drive.

Tunisia is a secret gem in the Mediterranean, lots of blue sea, landscape similar to Greece, Roman ruins - tons of mosaics, amphitheaters, baths, sculptures, and ruins galore in the South of Tunis. The northern part is very green, mountainuous with intricate rocks jutting out from the water. Very spectacular. Tunis is like a European city - cafes on the sidewalk with ruins on the side streets.

I was able to see all of these majestic sights because of the creative planning of Noura from the front desk. Please ask for her. She is very accommodating and always inquiring about my welfare. My driver was Noor (sp) who was very patient and tolerant of all my questions about the area.

I have to admit that I did not do a lot of prep work before I came to Tunis because of work demands. Noor was very flexible in accommodating my schedule and tons of inquiries. He drove safely and patiently offered and waited for me while I browse the endless open-air and traditional museums, the souks, and sights.

I was pleasantly surprised by what I have experienced in Tunisia, the hotel, the sights, the people. It was indeed a pleasure!

I highy recommend Hotel DuParc. Excellent customer service!

• Liked — Accommodating and English speaking staff - reception, reservation, and driver
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
tunisia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for one night (I was supposed to stay for 12) but was so put off by the experience I checked out as soon as I could. To start off, I believe the website is misleading in the way it presents the hotel and I don't believe its value for money. For less than I paid at the du Parc, I have found an infinitely more superior hotel to stay in, with better service, better quality, and better food.
The room I got at the du Parc was small and crammed. there was little space to move around and the room utterly lacked character. It was featureless and would compare well with a Formula 1 Hotel room. The bed was far smaller than the base, and although there was a sheet and bedspread on the bed, there was no blanket or duvet. The blanket I did get was cheap and coarse. The bathroom was miniscule, with a tiny cheap plastic shower that looked as if it was self-assembled. The shower fitting itself was simply a hand shower strung up on the wall, that could not be used as such. The walls of the room were paper thin, and I could hear my next door neighbour's every move. There was no mini bar fridge - which is pretty standard for hotels - and no directory of services guide in the room for the hotel. Although I had a decent meal in the hotel that night, the service was not particularly attentive. Unfortunately the breakfast offering the next morning was terrible. The milk for the cereal was off, and the bread on offer was stale. The hotel is situated on a busy drag, in a not very attractive area with little options for entertainment in the immediate vacinity. Although the hotel website suggests it is only 1km from Habib Bourghriba and the Medina, its more like 2.5 kms. Think twice about staying here if you are on a longer stay and want some measure of comfort.

• Liked — It was close to where I was working
  • Disliked — The poor quality of the room that was clearly at odds with the website description
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

We stayed in this hotel on the first two nights of our trip round Tunisia. The home of oneof the country's top football clubs it has a lot going for it; comfortable clean well eqipped rooms, reasonable restaurants and pleasant staff. On the downside the bar closes early and there aren't many places locally to visit.

NB don't go to the 'cabaret spectaculaire' just 50 yards from the hotel alone!!!

• Liked — comfort
  • Disliked — bar closed early
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Du Parc? Share your experiences!