“Fantastic stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Tunis
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fantastic stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I stayed here for two days while I was in Tunis. It was recommended to me both for the amenities as well as the location, and I have to say that my friend was right on both counts. First, it's on the Ave. Habib Bouragieba, and really, really close to some good places - the souk, the clock tower, lots of cafes and shopping, Monoprix, a theater, good carryout food, the French embassy, streetcar lines, a mall, etc. Second, it's just a really nice hotel. It's very western - it's a high rise with elevators, cable, a fab king size bed, room service - etc. (I didn't get the room service - it looked good, but expensive, and there are cafes everywhere and even a nice chicken-in-a-gyro type of carryout almost across the street, which is super cheap and very tasty, just don't expect U.S. type of food hygiene in the prep - but don't let it deter you! I didn't get sick or anything and it was really so, so yummy. Also both the mall and the Monoprix has grocery aisles with anything you really could want.) There is a safe which is really nice to have, you want to be able to leave your things behind when you go to the souk! (Someone said it was a 20 minute walk to the souk, but I think it was more like 10-15. Anyhow, it was nice and easy.) I was impressed that the windows opened even though I was on the 14th floor - they don't open enough for anyone to fall through, even a baby, but enough to catch some cool evening air and take a couple of snaps from the high view. There are three elevators,and they are kind of small, so there's sometimes a little wait, but it's not bad. The cable TV has a bunch of channels in at least 3-4 languages.

There is an exchange office in the lobby too, but they couldn't change my money when I was there, so I ended up just hitting the ATM next door. ATMs are everywhere in Tunis. The front desk was really helpful as well - when I checked in with them, I asked about hiring a car to go to Carthage for the day and they also thought I should see Sidi bou Said (which I wasn't thrilled with initially but I was so, so glad I did!), they did tell me a rate that I thought much too high (colleagues had gone from - farther - Hammamet for cheaper) and I told them what I would not pay more than... they made a call and got me just what I was looking for, and the driver spoke English too. (He actually only kinda sorta spoke English, but that's okay, we spoke French or more accurately, Franglais, and it wasn't the hotel's fault.) Anyhow, I was very pleased with their ability to help me out on this. The doorman of the hotel is also really nice. The lobby is like a lounge, with comfy chairs and sofas in a lot of space. You can meet people there, chill out with a book, whatever. There's also a bar - it's toward the back, but it makes things smoky in the lobby in the afternoon/evening.

The breakfast was fantastic as well! All the fab Mediterranean and Middle Eastern specialties, plus fresh juice squeezed, plus a crepe and omelet bar. Oh and they had all the bland western starchy stuff too. Just a very nice spread and a nice area to kind of chill out and regroup, plan the day, read the paper etc. (There were a number of papers in different languages there, to read and return.) There was sadly no wifi.

I recommend to anyone coming to Tunis!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Arabic first
Beirut, Lebanon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

It is a great hotel to stay at. The staff is lovely and helpful. You can find pleasure and places to go near the hotel. Situated in the center of the town, it gives the tourist no hard time finding his way around. I do recommend this hotel to everybody and I will sure book my next vacation with this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Cairo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

Spent five nights at Africa Hotel
Great location (20 min walking to medina souk), quite and very clean rooms
Breakfast included several options. Make sure you get a room on a high floor to enjoy the scenery and the fresh air..
Big mall just 3 min away from the hotel, which includes a big supermarket which has everything!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

Good - Moderate price for great location to the Medina, Train Station and Metro. Rooms are basic with limited views but clean. Hot shower. Safe for solo travellers as it is on the main road and there are good restaurants close by. Breakfast was handy (opens at 5am) especially if you are catching an early train. Multilingual staff.

Not so good - I found that the helpfulness of the staff varied enormously.

I recommend this hotel as the rooms are good and hoping that the staff are more helpful next time.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Been to Africa Hotel? Share your experiences!