“4 night stay in the junior suite africa hotel” 2 of 5 stars

70 69 81 20
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 19 Attractions in Tunis
Type: Historic Sites, Neighborhoods, Flea/ Street Markets, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Cultural
Activities: Shopping, City walk sightseeing
More attraction details
Owner description: The city’s old quarter hearkens back to the opulence once prevalent from the 12th to the 16th century.
London, United Kingdom
“4 night stay in the junior suite africa hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

morocco is much better..and tunisian merchants are not friendly at all they have no idea what customer service is and only want to grab your money, even as they do that they dont thank you. i will never go back to tunisia

Visited November 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tunis, Tunisia
“Love the Medina of Tunis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I live in Tunis and visit the Medina two or three times a month. I Love the shops and love the crowds. The Medina is not just for tourists; many Tunisians shop in the Medina and the neighborhoods around the Medina where clothing and household goods are inexpensive. I love the carpet and jewelry shops, and I visit a couple of antique shops though I don't know anything about local antiques. I found two jewelry shops where I can usually find silver bracelets and earrings. You have to be ready to bargain in the Medina. Don't pay the first price. Most vendors have enough words in several languages to bargain, but I do think that the higher the quality of the item the less discount you should expect. You could bargain harder for a newly made carpet than an antique silver or gold bracelet. Everyone is just trying to make a living and the economy of Tunisia has been hit hard. So, give the vendors a break. If you see something you love and the price is reasonable, buy it. I met someone once who would buy something and then ask the next shop owner if the price was good! Let it be.
Take home something useful and fun and beautiful.

Dallas, Texas
21 attraction reviews
“Typical tourist medina”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The vendors are very aggressive and seem to all sell the same merchandise. One member of our party had her necklace literally ripped off her neck in the medina by a young man.

Kingston, Canada
14 attraction reviews
“Love talking to the shopkeepers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Tunis Medina souk is definitely a place to spend some time. Although I have been there a few times on other trips, this morning I went with a friend just to wander and 'get lost' on purpose. As we wandered off of the main path, a few shop keepers gently told us that we were going the 'wrong direction', but did not bother us as we thanked them for the information and kept going.

It was a delightful morning of discovering more of the historic doors of Tunis.

As we wandered through the market, a few shop keepers took time to talk with us (even when we said we weren't buying) and had lots to say about the revolution. They are excited and hopeful for the future of Tunisia and want to see people come back as tourists and as investors.

My experience in the souk was that shop keepers were friendly and fine with a conversation that ended with 'Perhaps another time' or 'Maybe tomorrow'. Overall - one of my favourite markets that I have been to in the world.

Atlanta, Georgia
25 attraction reviews
“Worth a visit, but not my favorite middle east medina”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This place is HUGE. I was traveling alone though, and the hassle factor was really low compared to what I have encountered elsewhere. Shopkeepers were friendly, and were fun to haggle with. Get a good map (I think my lonely planet was pretty good) as easy to get lost! I think it would be a mistake to skip this if you are in Tunis.

Visited May 2012