“Spacious rooms, nice staff, gourmet breakfast, comfortable hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel La Maison-Blanche
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Avenue Mohamed V, Tunis 1002 , Tunisia   |
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Tunis
Oregon
“Spacious rooms, nice staff, gourmet breakfast, comfortable hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

we had to change our dates and they were very clear how to make the change and credit back our charge card
request a nonsmoking room away from the disco -- although this was a negative comment from a previous review and we had no problems -- earplugs can help
they give you a great map of the city and are helpful with directions

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Tremezzo, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2010

It is hard to say whether the amateur and ignorant staff or the hotel management that allows a cheesy disco to spoil the hotel are worse. One = the other.
You will not sleep, you will get no service and you will wonder what on earth Best Western are doing.
Italian Tour Groups use it...what more can I say?

Stayed May 2010

Travelers are raving about these Tunis hotels

Nairobi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Rooms are great, but I didn't get to sleep before 4 every night of my stay because of the night club on the first floor. Several irate calls to reception did nothing. How the owner thinks he can get away with having a club and hotel and no sound-proofing is beyond me. And the rooms are hardly cheap either. Avoid like the plague!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2009

Well, I have not written a review for a hotel before but with this one I think I should really give it a try.
I am a positive person so I will start from the positive aspects of it.
The rooms are beautiful, very large with king size beds. The bathrooms are also spectacular. My very first impression when I got into my room (both my rooms actually since I had my room changed) went beyond my expectations. The hotel is located close to the centre of Tunis, about 15 minutes walk from the famous avenue Bourguiba, which marks the heart of the city. The downside of its location is that the road is very busy and unbelievably noisy (Tunisians have some strong temperament went it comes to driving) which means that you won't be able to sleep late, unless you have ear plugs!
Yet the noisy road was NOT the worst thing about Maison Blanche.
First of all the staff at the reception was incredibly rude. I know that people working at 5-star hotels tend to be arrogant sometimes, but these ones were just rude, never smiled, never said thank you, just bad manners and unprofessional behaviour (to be fair, the rest of the staff was friendly but reception is really important, isn't it?).
Now, beware of the club on the first floor!!!! I stayed there for two nights and the room they gave me the first night was on the second floor, right above the club. Needless to say that it was IMPOSSIBLE to sleep until 4 in the morning. I asked for another room (I had paid £156 so I assume I had the right to sleep). They were unwilling to help me at the beginning but I insisted and they finally gave me another room on the 7th floor, which made a huge difference.
I really don't know whether I would recommend this hotel or not. I suppose it could be really nice for couples (the rooms have some oriental luxury in them that makes then almost romantic) yet certain aspects of it can turn your staying there into an ordeal. A noisy club that stays open until early in the morning and a rude, definitely unhelpful reception are things one cannot ignore. Service ought to be better at a 5-star hotel, that's for sure!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Sunderland, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

Despite being billed as a hotel for business people, it most definitely does NOT live up to that expectation.
The Brasserie turns into a nightclub open until 4am EVERY day of the week (I was there for 3 weeks and ended up finding a different hotel as i was due to be there for 5). The room is not soundproofed at all which means the music thuds up the walls and prevents a good nights sleep. Worse than this, if there is any trouble in there, the troublemakers are put out onto the road where they scream and shout without anything being done. On one occassion, I went to the (useless!) reception staff and asked them what they were doing about it but was met with a shrug and "what can we do about it"

Both restaurants serve nice food but the problem is actually getting it. I got seated in the Brasserie one night and waiting 20 minutes before being given a menu and asked what I wanted to drink. When you finally get the menu, they only have them in French so if you don't understand French, you're generally left with ham and turkey omelatte or margherita pizza because the servers cannot explain what the items are in English.

The reception and concierge staff are a little less than useless when it comes to actually knowing the area. I asked where there was an ATM on my first day, and got told it was over the busy road. Although there was one there, the closest one was actually attached to the cafe, right next door. I also asked where I could go to buy some toothpaste. Got told to go right down one of the roads adjacent to the hotel and find a place called Champion. Turns out there was a mini-supermarket right round the corner, around 2 minutes walk.

On some positive notes, the bedrooms/suites are very nice and very big; the wireless internet in the room is free and you won't wait long for a taxi to get out of the place.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
GerardGeerlings
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

We were in the Maison Blanche for two nights during which the Hotel was used as a disco on the first floor just beneath us so we could not sleep untill 15:30 when it finished.
We were transfered at 13:00 to two floors up and the day after to the top floor which did not help much. We were not the only one because all were tranferred to the top floor: Hotel Management did not understand the problem which was very disappointing!

I wouls advice not to use this Hotel when you want a good night sleep!

Gerard G

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

The hotel is on a main boulevard which can mean that if your windows faced the street, you will be able to hear the street noise all the time. If you can, give specific instructions that you want a room that doesn't face the street and definitely a room as high up as they can give you.

Otherwise, we stayed on the 7th floor in pretty amazing suites. Spacious, and clean although the complimentary sweets tasted stale. TV had only 1 English speaking channel but was adequate for background noise. The bathroom had a bath, separate shower area and toilet and fluffy bathrobes included.

There was complimentary internet but the computer was riddled with spyware and such, so I wouldn't do much more than check your mail.

Our main grouch was the staff at reception. Apart from the young lady who greeted us when we first arrived who answered our many questions with a smile, the remaining staff (all male) gave us sour looks when we asked questions. The most hilarious moment was watching one of them attempt to find the hotel on the map that they were giving out to everyone!! We had to point it out to him in the end. This is poor training.

• Liked — The size and cleanliness of their suites
  • Disliked — Unfriendly reception
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel La Maison-Blanche? Share your experiences!