I wanted a hotel for a relaxing weekend in Tunis, so despite some of the reviews on here I chose the Sheraton.
It's located on the way from the airport into the centre (less than a 10 minute journey) and sits on a hill overlooking the city and out to the Med. I was taking taxis from the hotel to the Medina area of Tunis and they were costing around 3TND and took between 5 and 10 mins depending on traffic and the driver.
Check-in was very fast, I was whisked from main reception upstairs to the dedicated reception as I'd booked a room on the Towers Floor. A bit of confusion was caused as I'd booked my room on the Starwood site, and the confirmation had advised that the total amount for my stay would be charged immediately to my CC. The receptionist told me this wasn't the case and that I would pay upon check-out, and she was correct. Maybe Starwood need to re-phrase their confirmation e-mails to save any confusion in future.
I had a room overlooking the city, the new TV Tunisia building opposite and the hotel grounds and swimming pool. The room itself was very large and nicely decorated and had a modern feel about it. A huge bed with lots of pillows, along with a comfortable chair and foot stool next to the bed. A big flat-screen TV with a good selction of foreign language channels was also very good. My rate included free wi-fi for my entire stay, and this worked very well and was easily fast enough for Skype video calls and streaming video from my Slingbox back in the UK.
I also had breakfast included, which I took in the 5th floor lounge as it was nice and quiet over the weekend. Breakfast was a fairly typical selection for this part of the world, and probably just enough choice to enable everyone to find something they like. I didn't take a look at the main breakfast buffet downstairs.
The swimming pool area is very nice, I used the outdoor pool as the weather was beautiful. Working out how to order drinks and food from the poolside staff takes some working out, but once you're on their radar there are no problems. The indoor pool is also very nice, so if you're here out of season you won't be too disappointed.
Apart from breakfast I didn't take any meals in the hotel so can't comment on the restaurants. I did have a quick drink in Harry's Bar (the 'English' style pub) whilst waiting for a friend to get ready to go out and this was quite pleasant and fairly busy.
My only negative comment on the hotel itself would be the prices on it's website for airport transfers. They advise a taxi is 20TND and Sheraton transport is 10TND, when in fact it's the other way around. But I'm sure this is something that is maintained by Starwood so probably needs to be updated by them.
So based on the Towers Room I had, I'd recommend this hotel as a good choice in Tunis, even more so if you have family and want somewhere for them to relax whilst there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the central business and diplomatic quarter of Tunis, the Sheraton Tunis Hotel boasts an all-encompassing view of the Tunisian capital. Each one of the 285 rooms has a balcony with a view over the city or the gardens. In the evening the Club Lounge offers cocktail and hors-d’oeuvres service in the private club lounge located on the 5th floor. The hotel offers a choice of 3 restaurants and 2 bars. The elegant ‘Walima’ restaurant serves both unique and typical Tunisian specialties according to the finest local tradition and boasts an outstanding local wine list, the ‘Azzurro’ restaurant serves an authentic Italian cuisine accompanied by the enchanting music of a live band, and the all-day dining ‘L’Oliveraie’ features a delicious buffet of Mediterranean and International dishes as well as ‘A la Carte’ menu. The wellness centre of the hotel ‘The Garden Spa’ offers a wide selection of treatments. All of these are complemented by a modernized and well-equipped fitness room, gymnasium, sauna, hammam, indoor pool with aqua gym, Jacuzzi as well as an outdoor swimming pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Sheraton Tunis Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Tunis Hotel And Towers
- Tunis Sheraton
- Sheraton Tunis Hotel Tunisia, Africa