“A very nice option for a relaxing stay in Tunis” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Tunis Hotel

You added Sheraton Tunis Hotel to your Saves list
Sheraton Tunis Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue de la Ligue Arabe | Cedex Box 345, Tunis 1080, Tunisia   |
Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Tunis
London, United Kingdom
“A very nice option for a relaxing stay in Tunis”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

I wanted a hotel for a relaxing weekend in Tunis, so despite some of the reviews on here I chose the Sheraton.

It's located on the way from the airport into the centre (less than a 10 minute journey) and sits on a hill overlooking the city and out to the Med. I was taking taxis from the hotel to the Medina area of Tunis and they were costing around 3TND and took between 5 and 10 mins depending on traffic and the driver.

Check-in was very fast, I was whisked from main reception upstairs to the dedicated reception as I'd booked a room on the Towers Floor. A bit of confusion was caused as I'd booked my room on the Starwood site, and the confirmation had advised that the total amount for my stay would be charged immediately to my CC. The receptionist told me this wasn't the case and that I would pay upon check-out, and she was correct. Maybe Starwood need to re-phrase their confirmation e-mails to save any confusion in future.

I had a room overlooking the city, the new TV Tunisia building opposite and the hotel grounds and swimming pool. The room itself was very large and nicely decorated and had a modern feel about it. A huge bed with lots of pillows, along with a comfortable chair and foot stool next to the bed. A big flat-screen TV with a good selction of foreign language channels was also very good. My rate included free wi-fi for my entire stay, and this worked very well and was easily fast enough for Skype video calls and streaming video from my Slingbox back in the UK.

I also had breakfast included, which I took in the 5th floor lounge as it was nice and quiet over the weekend. Breakfast was a fairly typical selection for this part of the world, and probably just enough choice to enable everyone to find something they like. I didn't take a look at the main breakfast buffet downstairs.

The swimming pool area is very nice, I used the outdoor pool as the weather was beautiful. Working out how to order drinks and food from the poolside staff takes some working out, but once you're on their radar there are no problems. The indoor pool is also very nice, so if you're here out of season you won't be too disappointed.

Apart from breakfast I didn't take any meals in the hotel so can't comment on the restaurants. I did have a quick drink in Harry's Bar (the 'English' style pub) whilst waiting for a friend to get ready to go out and this was quite pleasant and fairly busy.

My only negative comment on the hotel itself would be the prices on it's website for airport transfers. They advise a taxi is 20TND and Sheraton transport is 10TND, when in fact it's the other way around. But I'm sure this is something that is maintained by Starwood so probably needs to be updated by them.

So based on the Towers Room I had, I'd recommend this hotel as a good choice in Tunis, even more so if you have family and want somewhere for them to relax whilst there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
SheratonTunisHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tunis Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our sincere thanks for taking the time to post your feedback from your last stay at the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers and especially describe what you appreciated most.

We are highly delighted to read all the positive comments you mention, especially emphasizing on the high level of service and the quality of the offers/product in our hotel; please be assured that we will share your points with the respective team members.

We thank you again for your kindness and look forward to welcoming you again at our property.

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I was very impressed with the Sheraton, especially considering some of the negative reviews on here. Check in at main reception was done in less than 20 seconds and full check in on the exec floor was also highly efficient. Free wifi was included in my package. Room was big - and not outdated. The marble in the bathroom was actually very nice and i did not think it was particularly tired. Nice flatscreen TV and comfy bed.

I had one problem, but my focus is on the hotel's reaction, which was very good. The hot food in the buffet breakfast on the ground floor was cold one morning - i complained and was told it was due to an electrical problem. Fair enough. I got a call from exec floor reception to apologise, and this was followed with a letter of apology under the door and the offer of a free dinner and wine, which i accepted. A very, very good response and all credit to the managers and staff, who are doing Starwood a great service - staff were falling over themselves to be as incredibly helpful and polite as possible and they really made being part of a hotel loyalty programme worthwhile.

The gym was huge and very modern - the best I have seen in a hotel. The pool had instructors who seemed highly experienced.

Food in the Italian was good, even if the venue needed a bit of an overhaul.

I don't think good five star hotels are numerous in Tunis - I would try to call them to get a good rate as the city was not exactly crawling with westerners and give them a go. At least they are trying.

As for Tunis - i was actually grabbed by shopkeepers in the (dull and tacky) medina, which i have never experienced in Marrakech and was nearly ripped off hugely by a couple of taxi drivers. It does not seem as friendly as Maroc and the medina is becoming like Carnaby Street in the 80s - full of tourist tat. One guy called himself an artisan because he banged western names in arabic into crappy tin plates as souvenirs. Yeh right!!

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We sincerely would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your last stay at the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers.

We are very pleased to read all the positive comments you mention, especially emphasizing on the great attitude of our team members and the quality of our product and service; please be assured that we will share your points with the respective team members.

Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Venue is located close to the airport and down town. Rooms are spacious and free water is given in each room. Overall the hotel is good and we'll return to this hotel in the future. Its downturns are:
> lack of free internet in rooms - one gets 1hr free each day in the lobby area - wifi is not that good
> the service being offered by the staff is not at Sheraton level.. you do get served.. eventually.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
SheratonTunisHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tunis Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2011
Dear Guest,

We sincerely would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

With regards to the internet being free of charge at the Link@Sheraton for sessions up to 60 minutes per day, kindly be informed that it is an applied Sheraton standard.

With regards to the service provided, please be assured that we take your comments very seriously and all necessary actions are undertaken with the aim to continuously improve the quality we deliver.

We look forward to welcome you soon again at the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers.

Best regards,

Cph
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Easy to go from airport and hotel can take care of shuttle transportation if you ask in advance. Not very exciting surroundings but light and friendly - - - and so were the rooms and the internal services.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you soon again at the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers.

Warm regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011 via mobile

First impressions were positive and the service was friendly. The hotel has good views, the rooms are clean, buffet breakfast tasty and gym facilities are very good.
But the wifi is hopeless and a number of flaws - closed pool, closed restaurants, room service not turning up - keep this hotel below what I'd expect from a Sheraton.
I'd still recommend a stay, but moderate expectations and negotiate a rate with the hotel direct.

• Stayed May 2011
SheratonTunisHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tunis Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Dear Guest,

We would like thank you for taking the time to post your impressions from your last stay at the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers. We are glad to read all the positive comments you mentioned, especially emphasizing on the friendly attitude of our associates, the cleanliness in the hotel as well as the quality of our gym facilities.

Like every year, our exterior pool opens on the 15th of May this may be the reason you found it closed before that date. During the beginning of the month of May, in fact we renovated our main restaurant L’Oliveraie which explains why it was closed for a period of 10 days however kindly be informed that all outlets are now fully functional according to their respective opening hours/days.

With regards to your comment about the room service and the WiFi, please rest assured that we are undertaking the needed to make sure such happenings do not occur again.

We thank you again for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you again at our property.

Central
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Located in a quiet area of Tunis, a short taxi ride to downtown. You can probably do a lot better in Gammarth or Carthage but will be further away from Tunis. Check-in painfully slow. Service non-existent or indifferent. Food served at the restaurants bland. Rooms are a fair size but are tired. Decently equipped gym. Location is the only positive factor for this hotel. Essentially a business hotel. Vacationers abstain.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
SheratonTunisHotel, Director of Sales at Sheraton Tunis Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us.

It is with regret that we read that your recent stay gave cause to less positive comments. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly so I can find out more about the points you mentioned.

On the other hand, we are delighted that you found the location of the hotel convenient.

Again thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us.

Yours sincerely,
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

While the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers is a decent hotel, safe and clean, I found the Tower floor Executive lounge a major disappointment. It consists of three small rooms. When we arrived, they had "happy hour" until 20:00 hours, with snacks and drinks, but nothing to offer after that. That evening we went downstairs to the lounge bar only to discover that it has a very limited choice of alcoholic beverages (the English pub was closed that evening), which we found totally inacceptable for a Sheraton hotel.

The breakfast at the Executive lounge was also extremely limited with no eggs and only one sort of marmelade. The personel in the Executive lounge lacked enthusiam, unlike those working elsewhere in the hotel.

We also tried the hotel Spa, which is very nice, but the swimming pool can be dangerous, as is has an irregular form. Please get familiar with its structure before you start to swim.

We however enjoyed our stay, as the hotel room was quite nice and the bed very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback.

It is with regret that we read that our Executive lounge left a negative impression; should you wish to discuss this issue in further details, please feel free to contact me directly. Your feedback is appreciated and we will share it with the respective team members here in the hotel.

Your comment about the safety level of our swimming pool is somehow surprising to us considering that all required safety regulations/norms are applied.

On the other hand it is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay, and especially highlighting the comfort of your room.

Again thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us; we look forward to welcoming you again at the Sheraton Tunis Hotel & Towers.

Yours sincerely,
Hotel Management

Been to Sheraton Tunis Hotel? Share your experiences!