“Excellent small and friendly hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel le Consul

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tunis
Hotel le Consul
You added Hotel le Consul to your Saves list
84 rue de Palestine, Tunis 1002, Tunisia   |
Ranked #8 of 48 Hotels in Tunis
Canberra, Australia
“Excellent small and friendly hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I visited Tunis for a four day stay after 6 weeks on the road travelling through parts of Europe and North Africa. Based on Trip Advisor reviews I booked Hotel le Consul and this turned out to be a great hotel experience and a real haven for those four days. My room was spotlessly clean, comfortable, very quiet and a good size. The bathroom was well set out with wonderful shower with instant hot, hot water. The staff were all very friendly and responsive, particularly the Directeur, Monsieur Kefi. He was there most mornings to greet me for breakfast and welcome me back after my daily excursions. I felt there was nothing he would not be able to arrange if I needed it, very comforting for a female solo traveller.

Transfers to and from the hotel went as planned and M. Kefi was even able to arrange drivers for day tours to Sid Bu Said, Carthage, the Bardo museum, Dougga and the Tunis Medina. The drivers were very courteous and the prices extremely reasonable. I experienced no hassles at all in Tunis apart from the usual hard sell from vendors in the Medina which is common in all medinas.

There is free wifi in the restaurant and reception area and free wired Internet in the room.

The restaurant was excellent. All meals were of a high standard with fresh, homemade ingredients, mostly French style although some lovely local dishes too and indeed much better than a certain 5 star restaurant in Luxor Egypt which I'll be reviewing shortly. Even the wine was good. Breakfast was also good but a little more variety in the hot dishes over the four days would have been appreciated although what was provided was delicious.

Overall I was very impressed with the room, service, food and value and would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Hotel le Consul provided much of what I needed during my stay in Tunis. The hotel has recently been refurbished, and the result is a clean, modern hotel with good service. The hotel restaurant also provides good food during dinner and better than average breakfast, which was free for my stay. The room I had was quiet and with tasteful decor and comfortable furniture and layout. Even the internet connection was good. The location of the hotel is not ideal for tourists looking to save money by walking. Taxis are probably the most convenient way to get to and from the hotel if visiting the sites of Tunis. That being said, Hotel le Consul seems like it would be a very good hotel for business travelers (my visit was for recreation).

The overwhelming majority of the staff was very friendly and helpful. The only exception was the "gentleman" working the desk when I first arrived to check-in. Attitude made it seem that he was very annoyed that I chose to stay there. His attitude may have been related to the fact that arrived at the hotel directly after an excursion to some the ancient sites in the interior of Tunisia. I was a little dirty in my trekking shoes, excursion clothing, and large backpack in tow. I'm sure I did not match the clientele the hotel is trying to attract :o) But I guess I cleaned up well..I had a good experience from the rest of the staff.

Room Tip: Don't arrive at the hotel sweaty and dirty after an excursion.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Stayed here on business for a week in Sept 2011. Hotel doesn't have great kerb-side appeal, however the interior is much better. Rooms are clean and service throughout the hotel is good. Hotel is conveniently located, however I did find a few taxi drivers who did not where it was located when I tried to return here after a day out. Overall a good clean hotel, probably around 3* in Europe equivalent, great service inside and a good location for Tunis.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel le Consul for business with a large group and the hotel was very accommodating and helpful. The rooms are clean and the service was good. The location was fine for this trip, though you must take a taxi to the Souk or La Borgita. Most of the taxi drivers did not know the hotel, so if you don't speak Arabic (some of our drivers didn't speak French) it's a good idea of keep the card with hotel contact information with you. Overall we were very happy with le Consul and I would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Saint-Paul de Vence
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I booked at Le Consul on the basis of previous reviews. The first impression was just terrible: a nondescript building in a quiet but dirty street with a stinking sewage odor all over the place. Fortunately, the inside sounded better: a warm welcome, a clean and large bedroom overlooking a backyard and a parking with flat screen TV and good selection of foreign channels, a modern bathroom well supplied with amenities. Stationery, recap of hotel facilities, Tunis maps, etc are not available any more. The shower curtain is about 2 to 3 in. too short with the consequences one may figure out. Buffet breakfast was simple but ok but it could do with a bit more variety. The bar could be a relaxing place for a last drink if it was not for a TV (soccer matches) at a volume that no one was willing to turn down.
Safety in Tunis has become an issue. My wife got her gold chain snatched 200 meters from the hotel. During our visits in town and our trips with the TGM we have been constantly reminded by Tunisians to be extremely vigilant. The hotel is far away from the city center (not recommended to walk in small streets) and we were strongly advised against the use of public transportation these days. The use of taxis - inexpensive - is a must, even though catching one may be time consuming at busy hours.
In short, Le Consul remains a comfortable hotel but I am not convinced that it deserves its rank.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on two occasions, with the first when I needed an overnight stay in Tunis before continuing my journey to the south of the country, then, some two weeks later, on the night before my return journey to London. I chose this hotel after reading previous encouraging reviews and I wasn't disappointed. Staff were courteous and did their best to make me feel welcome. The inside of the hotel was modern, clean and pleasantly configurated. On both occasions, I was given a spacious, well equiped, comfortable room. In the morning, it wasn't difficult to have a hearty breakfast, thanks to a good variety of foods provided on a self-service basis. The hotel also has a restaurant and, on the evening of my second stay, I rather enjoyed the three-course meal I ordered. This is a very good hotel for anyone thinking of having a stop-over or a longer stay in Tunis, particularly as it is within reasonable proximity of the city centre.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

I arrived in Tunis very late at night and was welcomed by a nicely furnished room at Le Consul. My room faced the street and had a nice balcony with a view of the Tunis skyline. It is located on a quiet side street and I had an undisturbed sleep for all three nights I stayed there. The location on rue de Palestine is a good base for exploring Tunis, Habib Bourguiba is only about a 20-minute walk from the hotel. My only complaint is that the towels were somewhat worn.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel le Consul? Share your experiences!