“The Serengeti - Beautiful, Vast, Worth Visiting.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Serengeti National Park

Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
San Francisco
1 helpful vote
“The Serengeti - Beautiful, Vast, Worth Visiting.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

My boyfriend and I started in the N. Serengeti ((Mara River & Lamai Triangle), through the Central (Retina Pool,
Seronera Valley, Makoma Hill, Maasai Kopjes & Sametu Kopjes), then onto the Ngorongoro Crater - over 9 days. Time of year - Aug 2010 (tail end of the Great Migration).

Highly recommend if you want to see large quantities of game. We saw a Wildebeest crossing (thousands crossing a river), loads of Hippos in the river, large groups of elephants, zebra, buffalo, and so much more!

To truely get a sense for how vast and variant the animals, weather, culture, and life is across the Serengeti - do a cross safari trip.

1 Thank Jade093
18 helpful votes
“my favorite safari”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

Against all advice 4 adults and 4 children set off on a self drive safari without a guide or driver for 7 nights in october 2008. We booked a stretch Landrover and lodge accommodation (2 quadruple rooms) in luxury lodges only: Lake Manyara Serena lodge, Ngorongoro Serena lodge, Serengeti Serena lodge,Mbuzi Mawe and Migration luxury tented camps saving ourselves a small fortune.
We had the basic maps of the parks but after advice sought on this forum purchased a Tracks4Africa GPS map of East Africa and a handheld Garmin GPS sat nav.
Well having done more than a dozen safaris over the past 20 years this was the best one ever-we saw most of the animals alone and used the gps to get us home often after dark or before sunrise. If I mention we saw 3 leopards,5 cheetahs,30 lion at a distance of 2 metres alon with the rest of the usual game you will realise what an outstanding time we had!

2 Thank joslinlaw
3 helpful votes
“A Stunning Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

We have just returned from a trip to the Northern Serengeti to see the crossing and all the other wonderful wildlife. (Oct 2008) It was an incredible experience. We stayed at a mobile camp with Nomad Safaris and I would thorougly recommend them. The tents were very comfortable with camping 'ensuite' facilities and excellent full sized beds. The food was exceptionally good and the attention to detail to everything was excellent. Our clothes were washed and dried by the end of each day which was great as they do get quite dusty.

We were woken with tea and hot water for washing each morning, and at the end of the day there was a hot shower waiting for us before pre dinner drinks and nibbles around the camp fire where we swapped stories with the other 6 guests (max number usually 12 - 6 tents) and the guides.

In my opinion this is the best way to experience a safari - it surpassed my expectations and I can't wait to go back to another location in the Serengeti

2 Thank DebsBB
13 helpful votes
“Our Serengeti Safari Tips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Take an extra $100 USD per person for a 10-day trip on Safari. You are obliged to pay the ranger approx $7 per day per head. The rest is for tipping here there and everywhere.........$1 –$2 dollars for carrying bags was acceptable, a little more for waiters, drivers etc. It seems that everyone in Tanzania wants to do some small task for you, in order for a small tip.

Try to keep as many small notes for this as possible. Some of the lodges will let you change a $5 or $10 bill for this purpose – but are wise to it and will often say that they do not have enough.

Never give a gift or money with the left hand. It is considered a little offensive as it’s the hand traditionally used to clean yourself with ……………

Take plenty of travel wash or be prepared to pay for the laundry service in the lodges. We did a combination of the two. The reddish dust of the landscape seems to get everywhere.

Always carry tissues and water with you everywhere you go. Although the lodges are beautifully presented, the toilets out on Safari are smelly public toilets at best, or the great outdoors, or worse – the long drop…………………..

Don’t buy the local shilling at Kilimanjaro airport, take enough US dollars to get you through a few days and change it at one of the Safari lodges instead – the rates are much much better.

On the road between the Serengeti and the Ngorongro crater there is a fast stretch of what’s called non-sealed road (Dirt track to you and me) the fine dust that is flicked up and into the Safari trucks – even with everything shut is terrible. If I could do it all over again I’d take one of those disposable dust masks that you can buy from B&Q to protect you when sanding walls etc... I ended up holding my hat over my face and trying to breath through it (in the baking heat). Others were not as affected by it as I was – but if you have breathing problems, you are bound to find it a little unpleasant.

Even though you may feel that, you have already spent a small fortune on getting there. A good zoom lens on a video camera, digital camera or a strong pair of binoculars could make all the difference. The sights you will see are incredible and you may never get another chance.

If you have a long wait at Nairobi Airport, this is well worth considering.

At one end of Nairobi airport t – the opposite end to the main Cafe bar with the big TV screen. There is a sign above a set of steps going down which reads “La la Salama” which is Swahili for ‘Sleep Well’. For approx $40 you can hire a double bed in a small private makeshift room (4 MDF walls and a lockable door) for up to 4 hours. The attendant will ask for your flight details and arrange to wake you up for your flight. We took advantage of this great discovery on our return journey and only wished that we had learnt some Swahili earlier.

Finally - Buy a copy of the “Lonely Planet guide to Africa /East Africa” read it before you go and take it with you. Mine was a great source of knowledge prior to the trip, and my bible while we were away. Well worth the money for the do’s and don’ts alone.

Enjoy – It is the most amazing experience, and one which we shall treasure forever!

8 Thank Ratfinks
15 helpful votes
“simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

My second favorite spot on the safari route. It was breathtaking and definitely well worth the long ride though it was the dry season. Saw just about everything except a black rhino...so four of the "big 5" ain't bad!! Lots of driving so be prepared!

15 Thank jimmivi

Been to Serengeti National Park? Share your experiences!