“Attentive and friendly staff, comfortable and spacious room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Serengeti Sopa Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
Serengeti Sopa Lodge
You added Serengeti Sopa Lodge to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Serengeti National Park, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania   |
New York City, New York
“Attentive and friendly staff, comfortable and spacious room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had a pretty huge room with a small deck (including screen doors if you want to leave them open at night) and mosquito nets surrounding the beds.

Yes, I suppose you could say that the bedspreads and general decor were a little bit outdated, but really, I find it surprising that anyone would expect anything other than that out in the middle of the Serengeti. The outside structure is not very attractive, but I really didn't care. I was there to get out and see the wildlife so as long as I was getting a good night's sleep, I was fine with whatever else. If you were planning on hanging out at your hotel and having more of a "relaxing, luxury experience" then maybe you would find some elements that would detract from it being luxury. I guess it depends on which kind of experience you are looking for.

The food was pretty good, much better than I was expecting to be honest, and the staff were very friendly and quick to address you by name. I had a tasty teriyaki tilapia for dinner the first night and I was pleased. In general, they offer an awful lot of food (for the included package), which was way too much for me. The boxed lunches had an insane amount of food in them (juice box, 1-2 pieces of fruit, sandwich, cheese, samosa, another sandwich, nuts, cookies) and I felt bad letting so much go to waste, but I guess they offer a lot of choices to try to please all the various tastes of different people.

I did not have time to experience the pool, but the setting of the pool looked pretty nice.

The rooms (or at least mine was) are flanked outside of the main reception area and so they have security guys to walk you back to your room after dark, if necessary.

If I remember correctly, they have limited hours for hot water access. I don't know if this is seasonal or a year-round limitation. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the hours were but I believe there was a chunk of time in the morning and at night during typical showering times to be able to use hot water.

I did not experience any noise problems and slept well. In general, most of the beds I encountered during safari were on the firm side but very comfortable for me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
new york city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just returned from staying 3 days at Sopa Lodge-overall the experience was fine. Rooms were clean and they had free wifi (nice bonus). The lodge is located up a hill so it takes a bit to enter/exit for the day but there are animals around the area—we saw a giraffe and monkeys (many monkeys) from our room. The problem I had with Sopa was how they dealt with the animals around the area---we were at the bar enjoying a beer and there was a Sopa Security Guard shooting the monkeys on the property with a rubber band “sling shot” type gun trying to get them off away from the hotel. I was very upset by this-considering we were there to enjoy and respect the animals of Tanzania. I spoke with the Manager immediately-she apologized and requested that the Security Guard stop but I am sure they continued when I wasn’t out there observing. I understand that the monkeys can probably be annoying but I was very disturbed at the way they were hurting the very animals we were there to see and respect. We were also out on a Game Drive one day closer to the Hotel and there were lots of Game Drive Vehicles looking at a family of giraffe’s including a baby only a few days old (according to my guide)---everyone was being very quiet as the giraffe’s were getting closer to the Game Drive Vehicles when a Sopa Lodge Vehicle when speeding by all of us and scared the giraffe’s away! I was just “put off” by the respect the employees demonstrated to the amazing animals of the Serengeti. The hotel itself was fine-reasonable options for food, clean, etc. but I wouldn’t return based on I would like my money to go to a company that preserves and respects the Serengeti.

Alicante, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

What a lovely lodge.The bathroom was big enough to hold a party in and the room itself had the most amazing view.I found that the beds were a little hard but that's what I like so it didn't bother me.Unfortunately they had a problem with the generator,in that it stopped working.Therefore there was no hot water and absolutely no light.As I had now developed a very upset stomach and sickness it was of great importance that I was able to get to the bathroom in a hurry.It was very very dark in the room without electricity.My husband went to reception and asked if they had a torch that we could use over night.They didn't.However my husband had been talking to the Manager of the dining room.He explained the problem and the Manager arranged for us to have an oil lamp.The electric was still not working the following day and did not come back on until the evening.I realise that this was a "one off" but I feel that they should be prepared for problems of this kind.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Loved the welcome of a wet washer and a glass of juice on arrival. Everything was handled professionally and with friendliness. The rooms are large, well appointed and like other African places the beds are a bit hard for my liking. Fabulous views from the dining room, the bar area and most rooms. Make sure that you close the doors as the monkeys make themselves at home. The rooms have the biggest shower I have ever seen and the lodge is well situated for the game drives.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

After a very long drive across the Serengeti, you are happy to see any lodge! It is tucked away in some trees and blends into the landscape. We spent two nights there - the view from the rooms is great. The lodge could really use some updating, as it is quite dark and dingy. The food was OK but then we're not very picky. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This lodge is a located to show it's guests the breath taking beauty and grandeur of the wonderful Serengeti! The elevated position and balconies that all rooms have, give all guests the chance to have their breath taken away. I have been on safari over 30 times, staying in Lodges, Tented Camps etc and this lodge is as good as the best and better than many. Yes, if you want crested china and pamper sessions there are better options....but if you are in Africa because you love the Africa of your dreams you will not do better.
The Lodge is located close to most of the Southern Serengeti's highlights both animals and landscapes. If you want prides of rock climbing lions, this is the place to come! Excellent staff and good food are features of this Lodge. I visited with students from my College and they loved it.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the upper floor, better views and quieter.