“You won't be disappointed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chaka Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
Chaka Camp
You added Chaka Camp to your Saves list
PO Box 2289, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“You won't be disappointed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Chaka Camp was one of the highlights of our recent trip to Tanzania, and that is saying a lot. The camp is absolutely beautiful, the tents are super comfortable and clean, and the food exceeded all expectations. The service was also spectacular. For example, my wife can't eat gluten, and the staff went above and beyond to ensure that she was happy. I highly, highly, highly recommend Chaka Camp to anybody on safari in the Serengeti. You won't be disappointed!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

There are few places that I REALLY want to return to after experiencing them once, but Chaka Camp is the exception. I had done Kili and a camping safari with Duma in 2005, and brought a group back there this past September. Stacy suggested that we try the Chaka Camp. At first I was a bit skeptical because tent camping is a very adventurous experience, but now I am ruined for budget camping forever in the Serengeti.

Chaka is so beautiful and serene, I'm not sure if I have ever felt so relaxed before. The staff were some of the kindest and warmest human beings I have encountered and they seem to REALLY care if you are happy. I am gluten intolerant and traveling at all, let alone in developing countries, can be difficult due to my allergy, but Duma and the Chaka Camp staff did a great job of accommodating my dietary restriction with great food.

The bed was SUPER comfortable and I had some great nights of sleep, only awoken by the "African music" of hyenas whooping nearby. It's great to hear the wildlife nearby but feel safe inside the sturdy tent rooms.

Finally, I really did the sustainable aspect of the camp. It's mobile and can be moved as the environment changes, the whole camp is powered by solar (with a backup generator), and all the water is provided by the staff (the toilets, sinks, and showers are filled by the staff). This makes one more appreciative and conscious of your water usage when you know that a staff member had to boil your hot water on a wood burning for your luxurious hot shower. :-)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This place was absolutely amazing! I never wrote a review on Tripadvisor before but this place is definitely worth bragging about. We did a 5 day Safari and stayed at a different 5 star hotels every night (except we got to stay here for 2 nights!), and this was by farrrr the best! It is DEFINITELY worth asking your tour company to stay here while you're in the Serengeti. The food was probably the best I had during my entire month in Tanzania and the place is beautiful and quite luxurious (even compared to the other 5 star lodges we stayed at). Everyone was extremely friendly, polite, and just great people to be around. They also made us feel very safe--there was always someone on watch for any animals around the camp and staff was always around to walk you back to your room after dark. All in all, if you're going to the Serengeti, definitely stay at Chaka Camp!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I am about to return to the states and feel compelled to write a review for Chaka Camp. I am a bit snooty when it comes to the word "5 star" but, this Camp is definately that! Everything is brand NEW, clean and safe. The staff speaks wonderful English, serve deliciuos food, turn down service and all the ammenities of a 4 Seasons Hotel in NYC but, you are in the middle of the Seregeti, see no other people or other Camps and almost feel like it was all built for just YOU! An elephant came to greet us while we had breakfast one morning and you fall asleep to "African music", they called it of a hoofing hyena, grunting Lion and/or Cheetah breathing. I always felt safe yet truly among the animals in the wild. If you want a real African experience to never forget without leaving all luxeries behind, you won't find better.. That's for sure...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were one of the first groups to use the Chaka Camp in the Serengeti, and we were shocked at how impressive it was.

What is really unique is that the camp periodically moves with the animals as they migrate through Tanzania so we heard animals near our tents at night. We were safe, but it was pretty cool to see wildebeests and zebras near our camp. It was definitely much more of a natural feel of being out in the wild than you get by staying at the lodges (not that we didn't enjoy the lodges as well).

With respect to the camp and tent quality, the attention to detail was amazing. Our tent included a king size bed, small desk, and lights along with our own bathroom which had a toilet, sink, shower, and clothing racks. The hot water was filled for the shower by the Chaka Camp team. If it weren't a tent, you might think you were in a very nice hotel room. They also had a dining tent where they served great food, and they had lounge areas for reading books and having late evening drinks. The chaka camp manager and team were very attentive, and they even had a Maasi warrior walk us back from the dining area to our tent to keep us safe.

Beyond the fact that the Chaka camp is brand new, I can't imagine you are going to find a better tent camp than Chaka because of the thought process that went into this place. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We loved staying in the middle of the Serengeti wilderness in this beautiful eco friendly tented camp, that is brand new, clean, spacious, and decorated with taste and elegance.
We really felt in the middle of the wilderness, yet, we were pampered, and the stay felt very luxiurious in an old fashion way. The staff was incredibly professional and nice, and we had dinner by the campfire under the stars. The "bush taxi" (a guard) brought us back to our tents at night, so it felt safe for our children as well as for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Stephenson, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Duma Explorers was amazing and the Chaka Camp (owned by Duma) was the best accommodations on our entire safari! It was very luxurious for a tented camp and they anticipated our every need. I have a gluten sensitivity and they prepared special gluten free meals just for me that were delicious! Duma also packed a gluten free boxed lunch for me each day while we were out on our safari. I was prepared to go hungry much of the time, but always ended up with more than enough to eat. Each morning they brought us coffee or tea as part of our wake-up call and even made special gluten free breakfast cookies to go along with my tea! Our Duma guides were the best! I took tons of pictures and they were always so patient, waiting for me to finish and giving me the names of everything we were seeing. They also entertained us with fun stories and background information on areas we were passing through. When I forgot my necklace at our last stop on the safari they went out of their way to get it for me and mailed it back to me. I would give them more than 5 stars if that was an option!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Chaka Camp? Share your experiences!