“The camp I dreamt it would be” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dunia Camp, Asilia Africa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
Dunia Camp, Asilia Africa
You added Dunia Camp, Asilia Africa to your Saves list
Moru Kopjes, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania   |
Chicago
“The camp I dreamt it would be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My biggest complaint about Dunia Camp is that I only got to stay there for two nights. In retrospect, I wish I had three or more. And although the migration was near Ndutu, the game viewing around Dunia was just tremendous.

Our arrival was a bit rough as there had been rain, and part of the road on arrival was poor. But we made it and were greeted by Dunia's staff with wet towels and cold drinks. And although we experienced some tsetses on our drive to Dunia, we didn't experience any near or at the camp. And I don't recall even seeing any bugs in our tent.

We arrived shortly before cocktail hour our first night and enjoyed drinks around the fire they set up. We even saw a couple of hyenas run by nearby, and noticed some giraffes slightly farther away. This seemed like a great spot for game viewing. And with only eight tents, it made for a very communal group and we met some terrific people.

Our tent was really fantastic, so fantastic I could hardly call it a tent. I'll admit I'm not a camper, but you don't need to be to stay here. The tents were spaced pretty far apart so you felt like you had a lot of privacy and you couldn't hear anyone else at night. The tent material was thick, the flooring soft, but firm and comfortable, and the tent large. There was a separate front sitting area with a daybed and chair. Our bedroom had two beds. The beds were extremely comfortable with high quality bedding. It was a little cool at night, but they also put a hot water bottle under the covers in the evening - another very nice touch. The whole tent was all nicely decorated, including table lamps and a light above the beds with electricity available 24-hours a day. There are no outlets, but there are outlets in the main tent where you can charge your items any time of day or night.

And then there was a large bathroom area, with the sink, place to keep toiletries, an armoire of sorts, and the toilet and shower area. The bucket shower worked quite nicely and provided plenty of very warm water. On my first of three showers, I was a little aggressive with the water pressure (you control it) and I ran out of water maybe 10 or so seconds earlier than I would have liked. My latter two showers, I got the hang of it and had more than enough water. And just in case you'd like to take a second shower in a day, if necessary, you may (we did this our first day, as we arrived a little dirty).

They ask you after dinner each night what time you'd like to wake up, and then they come to wake you in the morning. They also bring coffee and cookies, then ask if you're ready for a shower, fill the shower, and refill the shower for your tent mate. There were also robes in the tent, and I enjoyed heading to the front sitting area of the tent in the morning to catch the early morning sun and enjoy the coffee and cookies - so peaceful!

There is also complimentary laundry. Just know they will not clean socks or underwear.

As for food, this was some of the best we had all trip. Breakfast was buffet service, plus eggs as requested. There were fruits, bread and pastries. We only had picnic lunches here so I don't know what they do for lunch. Dinner was served at a communal table which I loved. Food was very good, particularly our first night where we had an excellent, but unusual osso bucco, unusual in that it was served with an East African curry sauce (essentially an Indian curry, but with local spices, almost like jerk spices).

After dinner, they escorted you to your tent. There's very high bush so they're obviously ensuring your safety. At the end of the stay, it was nice knowing that unlike other lodges/camps, there were no extras - no liquor charges, no wine charges, no extras. And the staff could not have been friendlier. Of all the places on our safari, this was the one I regretted leaving the most. I hope I'm lucky enough to return one day.

Room Tip: We had tent 5, relatively close to the main dining area, which was nice and convenient. And because...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Lovely two night stay at Dunia Camp at New Year's Dec 2012/Jan 2013. The service excellent, and the food delicious. Asilia Africa is a wonderful company and very conservation and community minded: the Dunia staff is all hired from local tribal communities, to provide them with an alternative to poaching. The campfire before dinner is especially lovely, and when we were there one night were treated to tribal singing and dancing by the staff. One note: we stayed during the short rainy season, and the roads into and out of camp were really muddy; make sure you are in a jeep or landrover than can handle some serious mud (and your driver is prepared for it).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chester, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at Dunia in January 2013 for two nights. I wish we would have stayed longer. If we ever have the opportunity to visit Tanzania again, we will stay here again. Peter and his staff do a wonderful job and see it to that you are well taken care of. We like to call the road to the camp Celebrity Row because there wasn't an animal we didn't see...elephants, lions, zebras, giraffes, baboons, hippos...you name it we saw it. The tents are spacious and the showers are by far the best we had in our tented camp experiences! Wonderful views overlooking the Serengeti. If we ever go back, we will spend the entire time within the Serengeti.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed at Dunia Camp for 2 nights in October 2012 for our honeymoon. If I ever return to Tanzania, I will definitely stay here again. On our first night I wasn't feeling well, so the staff served me dinner in bed. They were so incredibly warm and friendly, the food was amazing, and on our second morning we woke up to find a rhino walking past about 100 yards from our tent. There is no other place in the world like Dunia Camp.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Dunia was a lovely place to stay. While I haven't stayed anywhere else in the Serengeti, and might try a different part of the park next time, I highly recommend Dunia.

Peter and the staff are great and tend to every need you have. Except for the showers, the "tents" can't be described as anything but first class. There is even an enclosed sitting area with a chaise in the front of (and connected to) the main tent with the bed. The showers are the only thing that need improvement. You must schedule a shower with the staff, and when you are ready, they bring a bucket of hot water that works on a pulley system. Sometimes the shower was fabulous, and other times, I could barely wash the shampoo out of my hair.

Every night at sunset, there is a campfire where the guests mingle and drink cocktails and have snacks.

At night, I could hear many animals including wildebeests, hyenas and lions but never actually saw anything on the grounds. They call this the African lullabye :-)

The food is out of this world. Every meal I had was fabulous.

If you are going to the Serengeti, definitely check out Dunia!

Room Tip: There are only a dozen or so tents that are spaced apart, so you can't really go wrong.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We have stayed at the camp 3 nights during November 2012. Its really outstanding place. The service, the atmosphere and the food are excellent. We have stayed in other luxury places during our trip, but this one is by far more pleasant and cozy. We warmly can recommend the place.
Dubi

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

It is hard to find anything wrong with this camp. From our arrival to leaving the staff were so attentive and helpful without out being under our feet. Being greeted with cold towels each time we returned from the game drive was well received.The food was very good and considering where we were and the facilities - the meals were outstanding. The quality of the tents was high. We spent 3 nights here in November and were treated to the beginning of the return migration. Animals walking past the camp every day and night. The camp is small but very well run. We really enjoyed the dinners being served at one big table and this enabled everyone to talk about their days experience and was a great way to make new friends. We thought that having only 20 litres of hot water in the showers would be a problem but really it was fine.
This is not cheap and one small thing I found unsatisfactory was the extra charge for some spirits and wines. This was not a concern for us as the standard drinks were of very good.quality. No one was drinking excessively and I would have thought the camp should have been 'fully inclusive'.
Anyway this is a minor point and did not detract for the great experience we had at this camp.
We also stayed at Olivers Camp in the Tarangire which is run by the same group. Highly recommended

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dunia Camp, Asilia Africa? Share your experiences!