“Wildebeest and more wildebeest!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of andBeyond Serengeti Under Canvas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
andBeyond Serengeti Under Canvas
5.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Serengeti, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania   |
Kuala Lumpur
“Wildebeest and more wildebeest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

This is a mobile tent set up to follow the Great Wildebeest Migration across the Serengeti. We stayed in Ndutu for 3 nights and had some good luck as the rains had arrived the week before and hence the Wildebeest too. The tents are luxurious by any standards but when they are temporary and in the middle of the Serengeti, it is truly a must try. Camping in the grand style of Hemmingway. Low density - only 8 tents. Very romantic and exciting as the wild animal come and go, as and when. We had hyenas, in the camp at night and a large bull elephant at the treeline. There are bush style hot showers, a personal butler, laundry, restaurant quality meals, open bar. Everyday was a big day when it came to game drives. Right smack in the middle of a Nat Geo documentary but with all the cheer, comfort and attention of a luxury resort. Great place to unwind as the pace is pole-pole (slow).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Detroit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed in the Serengeti Under Canvas camp for three nights and it was by far the highlight of our two week trip through Tanzania and Zanzibar. We saw just about everything you could hope for on our first three days (which were at Serengeti Under Canvas (SUC)). We saw a lion kill, cheetah kill and then a wildebeest giving birth! wow! Anyway, the game drives were a blast. I loved the open vehicles. The tents were exactly as advertised which is to say, pretty darn luxurious and the food was great. I really can't think of a negative point about this experience. If you get a chance to stay at SUC, I would take it. It was, in my opinion, the perfect way to get a real authentic "one with nature" kind of experience without really giving up any luxury. It worked out very well for my wife and I. Also, she is vegetarian and the food they prepared for her was excellent by all reports .

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012 via mobile

It was a fantastic experience to stay with n beyond under canvas and see the wilderbeest migration, 5 stars in the overall stay. Tents were luxurious and beds fantastic. Game drives were very fruitful. Highly recommended

• Stayed March 2012
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012 via mobile

Stating in a luxury tented camp gives you a real chance to be immersed in nature. This place is fabulous and the crew are wonderful. The food was also excellent and dining out by a bonfire with the other guests was so fun. I would highly recommend this place and would stay
here again for sure. 5 star experience.

• Stayed February 2012
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

A fantastic experience in a luxurious tented camp.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

I was very apprehensive at the thought of just a piece of canvas between me and the wildlife of the Serengeti but from the minute we arrives at the camp I felt at my ease. The tent was better than I had hoped - clean, comfortable and quite spacious, and the feeling of being in the midst of things was fantastic. I have to disagree with the other reviewers and say the food was delicious thanks to the excellent chef, Nuru. In fact it was better than at some of the "posher" lodges we stayed at. Adonis couldn't do enough to help us, even offering to lend me his camera when mine broke, and as for our guide Daniel, well we couldn't have hoped for better - friendly, helpful, cheerful and very knowledgeable. I even liked the bucket shower! The game drives were remarkable, we saw all manner of animals and the sight of the migration is something I'll never forget. I would like to thank everyone at Serengeti under canvas for a truly memorable stay making it the highlight of my safari experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

&Beyond is absolutely wonderful! I would definitely go back to Africa with them and would definitely recommend friends to travel with them and stay at their properties... but as Marla52674 clearly stated: the concept of sleeping in tents in the Serengeti is awsome, but the service at the camp was not as good as in the other &Beyond hotels. The set up is very beautiful, and the tents are very comfortable, but there are a couple of things that could improve. The food was good and our butler was wonderful (Daniel as well)! But the carpets are stained and not all the other butlers were as attentive as ours. Massa the GM is great and he was very kind to take us on the game drive the day we arrived while our gude Robert droped off his other family at the airstrip.

Overall it was a wonderful experience and I would come back - but I will not give it the 5 stars I gave all their ther proprties.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to andBeyond Serengeti Under Canvas? Share your experiences!