“Cool concept but disappointing service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of andBeyond Serengeti Under Canvas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serengeti National Park
andBeyond Serengeti Under Canvas
You added andBeyond Serengeti Under Canvas to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Serengeti, Serengeti National Park, Tanzania   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Venice, Florida
“Cool concept but disappointing service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

We stayed at camp 2 for &beyonds Serengeti Under Canvas just two days before they were scheduled to pull up and move further south. Maybe that was the problem, but we were disappointed over all with the service and food. Not at all up to the standards of other &beyond properties we have experienced.
The concept is very good. Mobile camps with flushing toilets, nice beds, butler service, bucket showers, and close to the migration. Only problem was that the herds were a good two hours away. Timing is everything, as we were just south of Seronera.
Our butler, Daniel was the only bright light In a rather lousy situation. The tents could have been cleaner. Floor mats were stained. Food, especially at dinner was nearly inedible. And we could not really identify the meat listed as lamb the first night. Soups were good, though.
Because a guide was ill, we were put in a situation where we were quite late in getting to Naabi Hill and the herds of the migration. While we saw millions of animals, and predators nearby, it made for an extremely exhausting and long day. The GM of the camp could have handled the situation better.
To the credit of &beyond upper management, our comment cards were read, and before we left for home, the country manager for TZ visited us at Duluti, and spent quite a bit of time gathering specifics on our experience. It is this kind of excellent follow up that will cause us to use their properties for a future third African safari.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Turkish first
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

As a travel agent, I have been booking this property on every one of my Tanzania itineraries since 2006. The reason is, there is no other experience like it. It is up close and personal in every way, with the wildlife and with the wonderful guys that run the camps and the camp rangers. They're all local staff and they love sharing their culture with you, they are personable, accommodating and extremely knowledgeable. I've had Paul as my ranger for most of my safaris, and the way he responds to his guests is not only admirable and professional, but he's just a lot of fun to be with. There is nothing that one would want for, at this camp and there is not one of my traveling guests that have not had rave reviews about this experience. It's the bush and the tents are quite nice and comfortable, with it's chandeliers and down comforters, inside toilets and attached showers, and a personal tent attendant, who will take care of your every need. I wouldn't call them luxurious, but the experience here makes it all five star. In fact, most of the staff anticipate your needs before you realize you have the need. Everything operates well here, and some of the accommodations in other places could use a lesson from them. I will continue to book this property because it is absolutely the best experience possible and they relocate with the migration so you know you will have great game sightings. Keep up the good work guys...Didas (former camp manager), Didas. Ivan....you guys know how to do it.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same, if you have walking problems, ask for a tent close to the mess tent
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Under Canvas is not only a real close encounter with Serengeti, but also give you the opportunity to spend time with very interesting people. A camp managed by locals, with extreme interest & care for people all along the way. The tends are not luxury but could be considered as such, if you think that sleeping in a proper queen size bed with covers and the works is not luxury under canvas.
Game viewing was a real experience with well prepared vehicles, as well as all the options for meals along the way or in the camp.
Very special care by a personal butler all the way. The entire staff was always ready to help & assist. We could even have a hot shower under the starts !.
We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary while in the camp. They camp staff came along with a cake, sparkling wine and a very special set of songs & dances !!!

Room Tip: All tents are the same.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed two nights in Serengeti Under Canvas camp in Northern Serengeti, Oct 31 and Nov 1 2011. What a great experience. All of the staff members I encountered seemed to be totally dedicated to making sure our every need was taken care of. Wilhelm, our personal butler, was great, he kept our tent neat and tidy, turned down our bed, did our laundry, served our dinner, brought hot water for our showers, made tea in the afternoon, and escorted us to our tent at night. The tents were luxurious by my standards. King size bed, down comforter, flush toilet, electric lights powered by 12 volt battery, brass wash basin, very comfortable. The food was excellent. Dinner begins by meeting around the campfire about 7:00 PM. Everyone can have a drink and share stories of the days experiences. Dinner is served at 8:00 at separate tables by couple or traveling groups. Falling asleep to the sound of lions roaring in the distance, perfect. This is not a cheap accommodation but worth it. If you have an chance to stay at Serengeti Under Canvas, especially when they are set up in the North Serengeti don't miss it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Under Canvas is extremely well organised, excellent game viewing- rangers are very well trained- accomodation is very comfortable and food good given bush circumstances.
Don't expect a super fancy 5 star camp; it's nice but not a superboutique plush camp, its a real tented bush camp, nicely featured and focus is on game viewing.
What is excellent is the "homely , personal and very private atmosphere!". You will be at most 9 tents...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I was at Serengeti Under Canvas for two nights in August with my family. I hope that other folks can avoid the same problems that we did. Save your money and go elsewhere where you will be safe.

I was supposed to be alone in my tent, but (call it mother's intuition, she decided to come sleep in my tent). I was fast asleep, but around in the middle of the night, she woke me up because she saw tons of SMOKE in my room. Apparently, one of the lamp wires had gotten wet during the rain and had short-circuited.

I am extremely fortunate that my mother decided to come and stay in my tent. Otherwise I would have gotten carbon monoxide poisoning from the smoke fumes and would have been found dead in the morning. There are no smoke detectors in the tents and so I would have had NO WAY of knowing there was a problem. Furthermore, despite having wires out in places that they know can get wet, there is no waterproof casing.

This place charges almost $1000 per person, per night! It is beyond me that they don't even follow basic safety codes.

I did contact the manager, and from his response, you can tell he was just trying to brush things under the carpet. He stated, " You may rest assured that guest safety in all aspects, whilst on holiday with andBeyond, is of paramount importance to us. To this end we have recently had a major risk assessment inspection done by the internationally respected UK based Safari Risk Managers in Tanzania. "

I am not certain that the manger was telling me the truth. Honestly, any normal person know that you should have smoke detectors in a room, and that you don't keep electrical wires out in places where they could get wet. I have a hard time believing that a "risk assessment" was conducted and happened to overlook these glaring details. If there truly was a form of assessment, I certainly would not trust any portion of it. And if these "assessors" are the same ones evaluating the other and Beyond lodges, I'd have recommend staying away from ALL of them.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Serengeti under canvas is a tented camp that changes it's location every couple of months. It follows the wildebeest migration.

Guests stay in tents which have flushing toilets. Showers are courtesy of a large canvas bucket with an attached shower head.

The food was a little salty for my liking, but overall the camp staff are very friendly and made our stay a real pleasure.

Wildlife is plentiful at this time of the year in the Serengeti. We were there to see the wildebeest crossing the Mara river. It took four days of waiting for us to see a crossing. I suspect we should have gone earlier in the year. Vultures abounded on either side of the banks waiting to feast on unlucky wildebeest.

We "ran into" lions on two nights on our way back to camp, and had no time to take pictures as we had to get back before curfew.

A lot of the experience is about staying in the bush.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to andBeyond Serengeti Under Canvas? Share your experiences!