“Team Kilimanjaro” 5 of 5 stars

Activities: Mountaineering, Hiking, Group tours/walking tour
Toronto, Canada
“Team Kilimanjaro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We just recently returned from Africa and our successful climbing of Mount Kilimanjaro. After lots of research on the web in relation to companies to climb with, my friend and I decided to go with Team Kilimanjaro and I know now that we definitely made the right choice. We chose the TK Ronghai 7 day route.

When I was originally booking our trip I selected an open 8 person trek from the list of climbs on their website. Therefore we had assumed that there would be 8 “tourists” making the climb together on this date, made up of us and 6 others. However it happened that everyone else who booked this trek for the same week booked private treks, so we ended up with our own group of just 2. We had been looking forward to shared meals etc with a slightly larger group, but we had no objection to the excellent individualized attention we did get in our group of two.

I really must compliment TK on their staff. Everyone we dealt with was great, from Ally in the booking office in the UK to the team who accompanied us on the trek. A big thanks to our guides Samwel Minja and James and all the crew who got us to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro. Everything was really well organised throughout the week. Niko our cook made sure we were very well fed with a variety of different food every day. I really appreciated the various acts of kindness from the crew during the week, especially when they turned up in ad hoc places with more food. And the private loo was an unexpected bonus!

I felt that our guides paid close attention to how we were coping with the trek and the acclimatisation, and their suggested alternative of changing our ascent to the early morning of Day 5 rather than midnight on Day 5 worked out really well. Being able to spend the night after the climb at Kibo Hut was such a relief. Great decision guys.

I must reiterate a comment made by some others on this web-site. You really have to train for Kilimanjaro. TK have a pretty good training guide on their website which I followed about 80%, and I also supplemented it with a lot of stair climbing (definately recommended). We did take altitude tablets and thankfully had almost no altitude sickness. Summit day was one of the toughest things I have ever done but Sam and James knew exactly what to do and helped us get through those never-ending metres up to Gilman's Point and onwards to Uhuru (and back down again!).

I feel extremely proud of my achievement and whilst I had never once camped before this, I rate my trek with TK and my time on Kilimanjaro as one of my best ever holidays.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
“Climb Kili”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We just successfully summitted Mt. Kilimanjaro via the 7 day machame route due in large part to our guides and staff at ClimbKili. Tiffany in the office made the entire process leading up to the trip easy. She even updated our families while we were climbing. Our guides, Chichi Baba and Saidi were wonderful. Everything was well organized, the food was plentiful and tasty, and the equipment in good shape.

Some tips: Get the private toilet, its worth it. Pack lightweight, warm layers for the ascent (It was very cold in general). Take Diamox and stay hydrated. Bring a Camelback. Trekking poles are very heplful but do make your hands cold during the final ascent. Our handwarmers didnt work. Bring a large variety of medications (ibuprofen, pepto, cipro, dayquil, immodium... We used them all).

Summit night was much harder than we expected but totally worth the feeling of making it to the top. What an amazing adventure!

Lebanon, Ohio, USA
49 attraction reviews
“Life changing experience climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro with FIA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I am a chunky, 50 year old woman - in reasonably decent shape, but no athlete by any stretch of the imagination. Frankly, I did not know if I had what it took to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro. I DID! It was the greatest personal accomplishment of my life and I feel like nothing can bother me anymore! My body, with all it's imperfections, performed wonderfully for me and I feel great about that.

My husband and I climbed the Lemosho Route 8 days/7 nights from September 2-9, 2013 with a Tanzanian based company called Focus in Africa (FIA), which was a GREAT choice....I recommend them highly with no reservations whatsoever. They did a first class job of taking great care of us, while offering reasonable prices compared to the much more expensive Western companies with their slicker brochures and websites. You climb up 5 different climate zones from the rainforest to the alpine desert - very cool! It was beautiful, challenging and life-changing. I highly recommend putting this on your bucket list.

Boynton Beach, Florida
95 attraction reviews
“Incredible Mountain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were fortunate to have the opportuinty to hike to the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro in August of 2013. We summitted on September 1, 2013. We chose the 7-day Machame Route and chose The African Walking Company to guide us to the top. There are not enough nice words to adequately describe how wonderful the team of people that guided us up the mountain are. I highly recommend The African Walking Company if you are interested in undertaking the hike and recommend that you request Mussa and Robert (our guide and assistant guide) and their team to help you reach your goal.

Our guide was Mussa and our assistant guide was Robert. They took care of our every want and need and provided us with support and encouragement throughout the hike. The African Walking Company was extremely well-organized and our entire team was knowledgeable, organized, professional and fun. Our campsite was always set up for us by the time we arrived to camp each day. There was plentiful hot tea and water. There was even tea and snack time when we got to camp each day. Snacks included popcorn and nuts. We were served hot tea to our tents eacn morning to wake us up. The meals were delicious, especially the hot soups on cold days. We looked forward to each meal. They took care of everything and were so wonderful to spend a week with.

It was truly a remarkable trip that I highly recommend to all. The entire wonderful team of people that helped us reach the summit will stay in our minds and hearts forever.

If you are interested in reading a female's perspective of the hike, I kept detailed notes along the hike and wrote them down in the blog that can be accessed at: http://lenoreparr.blogspot.com/2013/09/7-day-hike-to-summit-of-mt-kilimanjaro.html

The blog includes details of each day, including how long we hiked, when we arrived at camp, the meals we were served, the clothes I wore on certain days, the bathroom tent, the wash-wash routine, the hiking experience each day, and anything I thought of to write down each day.

The part I miss the most is the wonderful team of people that helped us reach our goal from The African Walking Company.

Visited August 2013
Boynton Beach, Florida
95 attraction reviews
“Trip of a Lifetime with the most Incredible Team Guiding us up the Mountain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

There are not enough nice words to adequately describe how wonderful the team of people that guided us up the mountain are. As an intro to my review, I think it is important to give a little background about myself.I am extremely girly.I love skirts and heels and getting my hair done.I love staying at beautiful resorts and the idea of sleeping in a tent for 6 nights stressed me out from the time we booked the trip until the first day of the hike.I was talked into doing the hike by my husband and brother-in-law.

It was truly a remarkable trip that I will forever remember fondly and our wonderful team of people from TAWC made camping as comfortable and luxurious as camping can be. Mussa and Robert (our guide and assistant guide) were extremely knowledgeable, friendly, organized and fun. They took care of our every need and want. They provided us with encouragement and support throughout the hiking adventure. We couldn't have made it to the summit without their care and support.

Every meal on the hike was delicious. We looked forward to each one of our meals, especially the hot soups that felt so good going down when it was cold. Our chef was incredible and we were extremely grateful for all of the delicious meals he prepared for us. We were even given hot soup most days for lunch.

We rented the sleeping bag and the jacket for summit day. Both kept us nice and toasty. We had also bought a nice fleece liner for the sleeping bag, which helped keep us toasty at night. We liked all of the gear TAWC supplied us with.

Our wonderful team of people from TAWC always picked a campsite that was a little further away from most of the other campers, which I truly appreciated. It helped keep the noise level down at night. The campsite was always set up for us upon our arrival at camp and there was always lots of hot tea and plenty of water. We even had snack and tea time upon arriving at camp. In the mornings, we were woken with a delivery of hot tea to our tents.

I took notes throuhgout the hike and put the day by day account into the blog that it can be accessed at: http://lenoreparr.blogspot.com/2013/09/7-day-hike-to-summit-of-mt-kilimanjaro.html. It is a very detailed account of each day of the hike from a female's perspective. It includes when we arrived at camp each day, a description of the meals we were fed, what I wore, the wash-wash routine, the bathroom tent, and everything about the experience I thought of to write down.

All in all, the entire hike was incredible. It was difficult and challenging but I will forever think fondly of the trip. The views from the summit were unbelievable. The part I miss the most about the trip was our wonderful team of people, guided by Mussa and Robert, who helped us reach our goal. The entire team will forever stay in our hearts.

Visited August 2013