“The best exclusive hotel in Dar!” 5 of 5 stars

Protea Hotel Courtyard
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sea-view Ocean Road, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania   |
Ranked #2 of 74 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Dodoma, Tanzania
“The best exclusive hotel in Dar!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Honestly speaking, The Courtyard Hotel Protea is an elegant hotel in the city of Dar es Salaam, in town yet calm with great services from all around itself when there. Nice, clean and delicious food on its varieties, equipped medium gym and a swimming pool at the middle; rooms are well arranged with the best beds. Since I'm a very busy person Internet has never disappointed me, whether in my room or in the conference rooms for meetings. As a vegetarian, I always enjoy the local and international created meals at the restaurant.

Whenever in Dar, courtyard Hotel meets a desire of a home away from home. I mean Courtyard is classy among the hotels in Dar.

Room Tip: You want a room and worry about nothing, be on the second or third floor, especial the third floor o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Courtyard, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear HenryE17

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thanks a lot for patronising our property and taking time to share your experience with the travel community. I am glad that we have always managed to excel in the service delivery. I will share your feedback with our TEAM, they will be delighted to hear the same.

We look forward to host you again,

gm@proteadar.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Protea Courtyard was an absolutely fantastic property. The staff were all very nice, friendly and helpful. Check in was a breeze, the rooms were very nicely done and clean. It was very quiet amid the hustle and bustle that is Dar es Salaam. The resturaunt was good, not excellent, but certainly not bad. I will definately be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Courtyard, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear MattAshe

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thanks a lot for staying with us and for your kind, encouraging words! I have shared your feedback with the TEAM and needless to say, they were delighted to hear your comments. I have noted your comment about restaurant, our main kitchen is being renovated and this has affected our performance at times. I hope to change your restaurant feedback to ''excellent' on your next visit!

Thanks and regards,

Ahmedabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

A completely different experience staying in this hotel compared to any other hotel in the region. The lush green ambience makes it stand apart from all other properties. All rooms face the common garden and pool area and hence a visual delight once you open the curtains in the morning. Decent food and drinks spread but good room service. Internet access is as usual a BIG challenge in Africa and the hotel needs to look into speed and reliability both. Room size is small but it’s got everything you need in a room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Courtyard, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear siddharthdhamija

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time write this candid review. We take pride in providing quite reliable internet facilities, but have been facing a bit of difficulty for the past couple of weeks due to the service provider's operational challenges. This has been sorted as we speak and we are getting connected to fibre optic in March and should be able to provide even better service.

Pls take note of my email address below, kindly drop me a mail on your next visit, I would love to meet you in person. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to host you again.

Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a one night stop over at the end of a two week visit to Musoma.
A comfortable hotel with staff who could not do enough to help.
Just a pity about the 90 minute drive to the airport, but that's just Dar.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Courtyard, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear GUEST

Good day and Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. It was an absolute pleasure to host you and I am thrilled to hear that you had a fantastic time with us and the STAFF, the pillars of our establishment, did a great job. We look forward to host you again, I remain,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights on a business trip and it was the best out of the three hotels I stayed in in Dar.

The room was small but had a comfortable bed with mosquito net. My room had a connecting door which meant I could hear lots of what was going on next door.

The bathroom was big with a bath and powerful shower (though one night I didn't have any water).

The courtyard is lovely and has some seating, deck chairs and a small pool. There is also a small but perfectly good gym.

I wouldn't recommend the restaurant though. We ordered some bar snacks (samosas and spring rolls) which took and hour to arrive and were very greasy. The main courses took equally long to arrive and part of our drinks order was forgotten.

The other negative thing is that my colleague's iPad went missing from his room.

• Stayed January 2013
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Courtyard, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear GUEST

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Great to hear that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us and that you found us the best among the three hotels you tried in Dar.

I take note that you did not have water one one of the nights, was it reported to the reception? I acknowledge the delay in the food, we have closed our main kitchen as it is being renovated. This has caused a bit of disruption in our operations. I am extremely sorry about the unsatisfactory dining experience, but let me promise you that this is not the norm and we are actually well known for the food we serve. I am sure that I will be able to offer you a better experience on your next visit. I will definitely have a word with our TEAM.

I am particularly concerned about your comment that your colleague lost his I-pad from his room. I do not have any info on such an incident and there is no mention of this in our logs as well. I would assume that your friend would have informed the reception. We do not have any records of such an incident. Did you check with your colleague if this was later found, before he checked out?

Could you pls get in touch with me and let me know the dates and other relevant details. Thanks a lot for the review, we look forward to welcome you back again, I remain,

Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Protea Courtyard. The staff are warm, friendly and helpful. When I stated my culinary preferences, the attendant and chef worked it out even when it was not on the menu! The rooms are well kept, clean and comfortable. As I was on a business trip, the location is convenient and good wi-fi connection. Good ambiance - I sure will come back.

Room Tip: ask for rooms with quieter A/C noise when booking
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Courtyard, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Nduko

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write this review on trip advisor. I am real glad that you had a fantastic experience and that our TEAM went out of their way to ensure your comfort. I take note about your A/C comment, will have all rooms checked and ensure actions are taken to ensure noises are eliminated. We look forward to host you again soon, I remain,

Group general Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This hotel is lovely--very nice rooms, great service, and a good restaurant. The atmosphere is calm and quiet, which is a nice break from a busy day, especially for business travelers. The gym is a nice bonus. I would highly recommmend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DinishAntony, General Manager at Protea Hotel Courtyard, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear GUEST

Good day, Jambo from Protea Hotel Courtyard. It was an absolute pleasure to host you recently, thank you for taking time to share your experience with the travel community.
I am delighted to hear that you had a fantastic stay. I will pass your feedback on to our TEAM. We look forward to welcome you back again.

Protea Hotels - Dar es Salaam

Been to Protea Hotel Courtyard? Share your experiences!