“Not five star standards” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel

You added Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel to your Saves list
Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ohio Street | P.O. Box 791, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (Formerly Moevenpick Royal Palm Hotel Dar es Salaam)   |
Ranked #13 of 80 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Morogoro
“Not five star standards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

We expected a bit of comfort and good food at the Moevenpick but what a disappointment. The air conditionning did not seem to work properly in any of the hotel. It was almost as hot inside the hotel as outside. Our bedroom was so hot that we could not sleep. When we complained about the air conditionning the staff just ignored us.
We decided to try the Saturday night barbeque in the garden but were so disappointed - a barbeque with hardly any meat! - no steak and no chicken, just a few sausages and tasteless kebabs.
The final insult was when they tried to charge us for items from the mini-bar whereas we hadn't used anything from the mini-bar in our room. The check out staff were quite rude about this and virtually accused us of lying.
We would never stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
hpduerr, General Manager at Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
Thank you very much for your comments on your stay with us. We are currently testing and overhauling our entire AC system, which has led to some performance problems and we are sorry your comfort was restricted by this. Reading your comments on the service shortcomings, I do understand your disappointments and sincerely apologize for this unpleasant experience. We do continuously train and educate our staff, and standards are an ongoing concern and the subject of the daily internal briefings. Exceptions are rather rare; but guest’s comments are appreciated to initiate corrective measures. I am really sorry for the shortcomings you encountered.

Hans Peter Duerr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Turkish first
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

This was my fourth and probably last stay at the Movenpick in Dar es Salaam. The air conditioning has never worked well during any of my stays at the hotel but the rooms were particularly stiflingly hot this past trip. It's frustrating having hot air blowing in the room when you would like the room cooled off -- especially at night (there appears to be central chillers for the entire hotel -- not individual air conditioning units for rooms). I would suggest that they need to either better balance the distribution of air in the hotel or increase the cooling capacity of the system. The rooms, the staff, restaurants, and the like are all quite nice and I don't have any complaints.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Naij
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

I looked forward to my first trip to Tanzania and placed my bet on the Moevenpick Hotel. I imagined it would be heavenly since the Swiss are known for making fantastic chocolates! Was i wrong! The rooms were outdated and every where seems old. I decided to try and over look the sight of the room and went on to order dinner. The in room dining menu looked extensive so i decided to try the Pasta Cabonara. That was the biggest minstake i made! The pasta was literarily swimming in oil! I have never sighted such Pasta Cabonara in my short travelling life. Late at night one night someone was knocking frantically on my door, i opened and it was room service, i said i hadnt ordered any food only for my colleague to tell me in the morning that he ordered food and the food never came! The breakfast buffet was extensive but unappealing but i found solace with the pancakes and caramel sauce that was very yummy! Overall i was glad on the day i checked out! Looking back there was nothing passionately swiss about the hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
hpduerr, General Manager at Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2010
Thank you very much for your comments and please accept our most sincere apologies for the kitchen and service failures described. While constant training and instructions are in place, your feedback is much appreciated and serves to intensify and redirect these activities and to address deficiencies in order to eliminate and prevent such shortcomings in the future.

Roma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

I went with my wife for a 10 days safari trip and the last day, we check in this hotel, the check in was fast and pleasant. The girl at the reception recomend to us seafood dinner and really was great! it was a huge variety of fresh seafood and prepared just in front of us. We really enjoy the quality of the dinner and the service was very friendly.

It was a memorable night and Great Seafood buffet that we had for a long time!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

My second stay at this chain, and I was just as pleased the second time around. The staff are very friendly and helpful. They don't try to take advantage of the traveling tourist and they make every effort to make sure you stay safe while out.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
hpduerr, General Manager at Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2010
Greetings from the Mövenpick Royal Palm Hotel Dar es Salaam. We would like to thank you for reviewing us online and for taking time to post your comments about us. We are always happy to hear and read comments from our esteemed guests and take joy in knowing that our standards of Swiss Hospitality have truly met and satisfied your needs. It is indeed inspiring and motivating for us to get such recognition as we continuously strive to provide “Swiss Hospitality with a Personal Touch”.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

Did not have any complaints. Amidst the hustle and bustle of Dar, Movenpick was quietly refreshing and i Would recommend it to anyone traveling to Dar.

Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Greetings from the Moevenpick Royal Palm Hotel Dar es Salaam. We would like to thank you for reviewing us online and for taking time to post your comments about us. Guest feedback is truly appreciated from our esteemed guests and we take joy in knowing that our standards of Swiss Hospitality have truly met and satisfied your needs. Thank you for very nice remarks. It is indeed inspiring and motivating for us to get recognition as constantly strive to provide “Swiss Hospitality with a Personal Touch”.

Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

I booked this hotel under the delusion that a Swiss hotel chain could not go wrong for quality. I was very wrong. Problems-

Hotel is old and run down. Rooms are unattractive, old and smell like mildew.

Bad location- nothing useful or interesting in walking distance.

No clock or alarm in room. Aircon not working. Credit card machine upon checkin not working. Credit card machine upon checkout not working. Long hassle checking in and out.

My company paid an outrageous $180 USD a night here- in a country were people still make about $1 a day. Sickening.

Upon checkout, Movenpick took the liberty to charge me $1 USD for "Habitat For Humanity". I do not recall asking if I could donate- they just decided to charge me for something I did not ask for. In my country this is called STEALING. Staff were evasive and difficult about removing it.

As this was my first trip, I am not an expert on lodging in Dar but Movenpick is surely a loser on multiple fronts- look elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
We have read your review and would like to thank you for your comments. The hotel opened in 1996 and was fully renovated in 2007. We regret the interior decorator did not meet your taste. As a business hotel we are located right in the center of the business district. The interactive TV program includes a clock and many other useful features. Unfortunately credit card handling is fully controlled by the banks and beyond our influence. Meantime they have been changed to mobile connections and have become much more reliable. The average earning of the hotel’s employees is at least 10 times your quote. We apologize for the problems you faced with regards to Habitat for Humanity. We work in partnership with them to help people all around the country to get housing, and we are very sorry you were not informed about the donation option, which is a standard procedure and we assure you it has been retrained to prevent this situation from happening again. We appreciate guest feedback which continuously helps our endeavor to perfect our product and services and to offer a high-quality experience to each of our guests.

Hans Peter Dürr, General Manager

Been to Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel? Share your experiences!