“Nice property in center of town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel

You added Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel to your Saves list
Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ohio Street | P.O. Box 791, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (Formerly Moevenpick Royal Palm Hotel Dar es Salaam)   |
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Arusha
“Nice property in center of town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Used to love when this was a movenpick for the ice cream - not much has changed since, it is still a nice hotel. The restaurant is very nice inside and the outside buffet restaurant is good ala carte. Front desk service is slow. Wireless did not work in executive room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Ankara, Turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Just to give an initial warning, I stayed at this hotel on duty and I didn't pay for anything whatsoever. So, this review does not concern the cost side of things.

First of all, I liked the location of this hotel. Although I mostly went on business trips, I could gather that it is quite central. Secondly, I came to Tanzania with a great phobia behind my back, i.e. cockroaches, but I was relieved to see that the hotel was not home to any. Everything was clean and after a thorough check, I was able to sleep like a baby.

One thing to remember for first-time tourists in Africa; the rooms are cooled to the extremes. So, if you want to avoid getting a flue because of the huge temperature difference between the outside and the inside, try to increase the temperature of the room before you actually enter the room, as it takes quite a long time to heat it up again.

My room did not have a balcony and had a kind of a street view, but it was all right.

The room and the bathroom were quite spatious, although with a bit of a run-down look, which was also visible from the whole hotel. It seemed like it needed renovation.

I can only speak about the breakfast, but the food was also not so bad. I could have a decent breakfast as a person coming from a culture that is huge on this meal of the day. I especially recommend fresh fruits, as I had never tasted fruits that fresh and tasty, even the bananas. I tried dinner only once and found it not to get along with my sense of taste, but this is perhaps because of the huge cultural difference between Turkey and Tanzania.

The staff were generally very helpful, friendly and smiling.

We only had a bit of a problem with the reception. I don't know if it was due to a misunderstanding, but we had to leave the hotel for two days and were going to go back without checking out, but the hotel actually emptied our rooms without us being informed until it was too late. To be frank, thinking of two foreigners entering my room, taking every bit of my clothes out and writing everything down one by one was not a very comforting feeling, even if it may have been justified somehow. I think this was also related to the fact that it was quite busy at the time due to the Turkish Exports Fair in Dar-Es Salaam. We had to have a very tense argument upon our return and stay at the hotel for two more days.

Still, considering the other options and what I heard about them from my colleagues, this hotel seems to be a good option.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Accra, Ghana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I spent 4 nights at Serena in Feb 2013 and my stay was very comfortable. I had a very comfortable room with a nice view with the only drawback being that the bed (I guess it was a single) was extremely small even for my smallish frame. The food at the restaurant was realy good with lots to choose from..the seefood was mmm. The staff as very helpful too....I had issues with my luggage not arriving with me when I arrived in Dar and the hotel staff followed up on it regularly until I received it about 2 days into my stay. I really enjoyed my stay at the Serena. I would certainly stay there again if I had the chance

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The Serena is a great old hotel centrally located in the middle of Dar Es Salaam. It has an old fashioned feel of grandeur, a welcoming atmosphere, and the staff displays a very high standard of service. Unfortunately is could use a bit of an overhaul. The rooms are a bit too outdated, the beds a bit too firm for my liking and the bathrooms from a distant time. On the plus side, the free wifi is very good, the hotel restaurants are good, prices are reasonable. I especially enjoyed a warm evening drinking a cold Kilimanjaro beer while a calypso band was playing sweet melodic music by the pool. I really enjoyed staying at the hotel, and I am looking forward to coming back again. For the business traveller there is just a few minor details that could be fixed in order to make this a grand hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Have stayed in this Hotel, many times over the years, from when it was the Sheraton to what it is today, it has always been a great experience, from the airport pick up, on time, to the drop off. Friendly staff an good service, highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
johannesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed here several times since 1996, I have never been disappointed in what the hotel had to offer. Again this time, everything on offer was excellent. Airport transport ready and pleasant, despite arriving in peak time early evening traffic which was heavier than normal mainly due to the construction of a new public bus route thought the city.
Upon arrival, check-in friendly and efficient. A pleasant room with wifi in good shape and no outside noise even having a room facing a busy (mostly daytime) road. Dinner in the L'Oliveto restaurant was a delight with excellent waiters and the charming chef whose personal interest made the dining experience even better. The breakfast buffet is excellent, staff friendly and efficient as always. The bar is great for quick sandwiches, lovely and fresh, during lunch.
Checkout efficient without surprises at the end of yet another comfortable stay. Extra points for correcting a duplicate payment on my credit card which had already been corrected at the time I received my credit card statement.

Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The sight of our BA crew booking in plus 2 glasses of complimentary apple juice were both welcome sights on arrival - BA don't just slum it anywhere. The hotel had a Moorish/Arabian/African feel and decor.and our 4th floor room was large with the usual expected tea & coffee making facilities, bathroom goodies and large comfortable king size bed. Room service arrived in the promised 30 mins with 2 x large club sandwiches and fries.All the staff were very smart, attentive and welcoming.
The hotel is set in palm & hibiscus surrounded gardens with a medium sized outdoor swimming pool and outside bar. Other facilities includes tourist & airline offices, plus a cake shop. There are 2 restaurants with a wide variety of cuisine. We chose the themed buffet - fish stir fry cooked to order for dinner. Similarly breakfast had a wide variety of choice in a buffet style.
Little to be concerned about, although given the obvious investment in construction in Dar, there is a building site adjoining the hotel which as it was a Sunday was not active, so noise may be an issue midweek. Regardless, more than happy with our overnight stay and would go back.
Tip: The traffic during rush hour is HORRENDOUS - allow PLENTY of time if catching a morning flight out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel? Share your experiences!