“Friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of New Africa Hotel

You added New Africa Hotel to your Saves list
New Africa Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Azikiwe St. / Sokoine Dr. | P. O Box 9314, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania   |
Ranked #16 of 80 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
New Delhi, India
“Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

I had a very comfortable and pleasant stay. The price point and service were the highlights.

highly reccomended - good food and very helpful staff. Shows good management.

friendly to first timers.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
At the outset I would like to thank you for the lovely review of the hotel and the services. Your appreciation of the team and the efficiency of service has been noted and shall be shared with all concerned. I am sure it will be a source of great motivation for them and to achieve higher levels of customer satisfaction. Looking forward to welcoming you back to the New Africa Hotel.
General Manager & Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Good view of the harbour from the 6th floor and the two restaurants are really good. But the smell of mildew was impossible to ignore after some time. I thought I'd forgotten to pack some items at the end of the second evening but by the time I was checking out at the end of day 3 there was no mistake - someone had gone through my case and taken my pair of earrings and some clothing. Never, ever again......

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
Thank you for the review of the hotel. I am glad that you liked the restaurants and enjoyed the view from the harbour view room. I shall share the same with the team and am sure that they would be pleased with the feedback.
I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused on account of musty smell. We have not had that complaint before and shall investigate. We have noted that you were on the 6th floor of the hotel. We have also noted your comments on missing items from your personal belongings and take a very serious view of the same. I believe that this was not highlighted to anybody in the management team during your stay at the hotel or at the time of departure. I would like to assure you and other readers that we have not had any instances of missing personal belongings from guest rooms. Infact there have been cases where guests have been returned valuable items that have been misplaced by them during the stay. Our staff is know for their integrity and committment on the job. Additionally all our floors have access controls at the elevator landings and have electronic locks which make it very easy to find out as to who entered guest rooms. With these security features we have not had any instances of thefts or missing valuables in either the room or the public areas. We would like to further investigate your report and would urge you to contact the hotel.

Warm regards,
Shanker Narayanan,
General Manager & Director.
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

I have stayed in several places in East Africa and this is my favorite. The hotel has a good location which gave me good access to several places of the city. I was not looking forward to Friday night as most hotels get so loud it's difficult to rest after a long work week. But, though the lounge had loud music, my room, only on the third floor, was nice and quite. There were no bars in the area to cause noise pollution either. This means the night life is a bit slow, but, when you are working hard and need a good sleep you can't beat this place.

The beds are soft, but not, too soft for me and I'm a big guy. The A/C works great, a big plus in Dar.

The Internet had decent speeds, but was expensive by my standards, but what can you do, it's a fact of life in Africa that Internet will cost you. The nice thing was it functioned reasonably well most all of the time for me. Two of the people I traveled with had more trouble with it than I did.

Finally, on Saturday evening, after a very long day walking around Zanzibar I got back to take a nice shower. I turned on the water and the pressure started dropping. I pulled up on the tap to turn the shower on and it broke off in my hand. I checked with the front desk and they said they would send someone up to look at it. Having lived in East Africa a couple of years that wasn't too comforting. I waited about 15 min and no one showed. I called the front desk again and they said they'd check again. About 5 min later 2 guys came and looked it over. They said they would see if they could fix it or maybe wait until the morning. I explained that I really wanted it done now. I didn't have much hope, but within half an hour it was fixed, the water was running and the shower was flowing. That alone is worth every shilling we paid.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
Thank you for the lovely review of the hotel and the services. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused due to the shower lever. Whilst the same was fixed, it should not have happenned and should have been covered in our scheduled maintenance. Thank you for appreciating the efforts of the engineering team. I am glad that you liked the internet service. We do have issues with the wireless internet at times. Our service provider is trying to augment the signal strengths. Hopefully the same should get fixed. Usually the wired service is recommended for a reliable signal. I shall share your feedback with the team. Looking forward to your sustained patronage of the New Africa Hotel and Casino.

Shanker Narayanan
Diego Martin, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I stayed at the New Africa Hotel for a conference. It's a good standard business hotel, but well-located in downtown Dar es Salaam, with excellent service. Rooms are standard business hotel offering and mine wasn't the largest, but well maintained and with good amenities.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
Thank you for the lovely review of the hotel. I am glad that you liked the central location of the hotel and that it made your business visit very convenient. Thank you for appreciating the quality of our maintenance. We are not the newest hotel in town but take pride in maintaining our property and ensuring high standards of cleanliness. I shall share your feedback with the team. Looking forward to your next visit to Dar.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

This hotel is just fine. It's a super central location, easy to get to the ferries for Zanzibar. It's clean, friendly and has an awesome pool and breakfast room. Great spot to refresh before heading back out into the real Africa.

• Stayed August 2010
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and in particular liked the pool and the breakfast. Hope you have a great tour of Africa. Looking forward to hosting your future visit to the hotel.

Shanker Narayan
General Manager & Director.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. My husband and I were very pleased with the overall quality of service and will most definitely stay here again, if we visit Dar in the future. A special mention of the extremely warm and friendly staff and management and delicious food.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
At the outset I would like to thank you for your lovely review of the hotel. I shall share your gracious comments with the team and am sure that it will be a great source of motivation for them. Hope to host your stay at the New Africa Hotel in the near future.

Asante sana!

Shanker Narayanan
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

Convenient central location, multiple excellent restaurant facilities, nice and clean, and good service from friendly staff. We felt very welcomed here, and would recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2010
At the outset I would like to thank you for the lovely review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Its great to note that the team members, their service and also the choice of restaurants met your approval. I shall share the feedback with the team. This will definately motivate them to achieve higher standards of guest services.

General Manager & Director

Been to New Africa Hotel? Share your experiences!