“Not well Renovated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New Africa Hotel

You added New Africa Hotel to your Saves list
New Africa Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Azikiwe St. / Sokoine Dr. | P. O Box 9314, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania   |
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Not well Renovated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have stayed at New Africa Hotel on many occasions while visiting Dar on Business. The service, while being nothing great, was always good. There has been an occasion when I have got stuck in the lift along with my colleague and some other guests - that was a nightmare!! During my last visit, some renovations had been carried out and the lobby and entrance areas were a bit different - not all that tastefully done. In fact they were not allowing vehicles to come to the main entrance, and it was a pain not only when comes in with luggage, but even when one has to get picked up to go out and while getting dropped back in. Only one lift was functional, and sometimes we had to wait a while for the lift.
The breakfast is still quite nice, but the quality of vadai (south indian fried donut) has definitely come down. Really missed the gentleman who used to play the piano - apparently he is ill. He was really wonderful and always used to brighten up your day early during breakfast.
Despite the renovation, the corridors and rooms still smell musty because of dampness. Our room lacked a luggage stand and on asking was told that all the rooms are occupied and therefore they cannot provide us with one!!!
The hotel does not deliver newspaper to the rooms - sad.
The location of the hotel is good, and it is still better than some of the other properties I have stayed in Dar.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean facing room - if you will not be disturbed by the loud singing from the adjacent ch...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you on account of the renovation work.

We were still completing our renovations whilst you stayed with us. As such the main porch and lobby were not functional entirely. We were in the process of installing the directional signage as well as the boom barrier to regulate vehicular movement at the main porch. Thus we were not ready to allow traffic through. Its purely from a safety stand point. Agreed its not ideal. Additionally, the elevator installation was being done when you were here. We have completed the installation and as such the new elevator is state of art. All retro-upgrade works are complicated. Especially in an operating hotel. Apologies that we could not do it in a more unobtrusive manner. I have noted your comments on the room. You had stayed in the standard room and the only non renovated floor. There are no luggage racks in these rooms and they have a rack or stowe-away in built within the cupboard. Maybe that was not ideal for you. We were booked out during your stay and as such could not have pulled out a rack from the renovated rooms. Thus the comment from the reception. However , we could have handled this better and provided an alternate solution. I shall look into your comment on the breakfast items. Yes and we should have Omar ( the pianist) back soon...he is recovering from an illness.

Overall, the hotel has a new look and has been well received by most guests. We hope that you would visit us again and give us an opportunity to showcase our services once again. I am sure that you wont be disappointed. We value your patronage of the hotel and hope you do not let this stay mar your impression of the hotel.

On behalf of the team,

Warm regards,
E mail: gm@newafricahotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

On arrival I was led to my 8th floor room by the porter. We took the hotel’s only lift where I was told by the guard/lift operator that it was ‘dangerous’ and regularly got stuck. Once on the 8th floor I ask the porter where the stairs were. He told me there weren’t any, but when I questioned this he pointed them out. He didn’t tell me that once I entered the staircase the door would close behind me and I would not be able to get back in. I headed down to the ground floor to find an exit, but the timer lights went out as I got near to the bottom; I felt my way down the last floor in the pitch black. Not nice. Not sure how the lift operates during power-cuts. The generator takes a good few seconds to kick in.

On a more positive note, the room looked nice (but smelt of damp) and the view of the harbour and church was great. But be warned, the exceptionally loud praise song choir starts at 5.30am every morning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you on account of the elevator.

We were installing a new Mitsubishi elevator and thus only had a single operating elevator. It was not ideal as the frequent power cuts would interfere with the functioning. Apologies with the issue of the fire escape. The power surges from the local supply station are invariably coupled with the power cuts and they end up blowing our lighting circuits. This happened quite a lot over the past few weeks. Luckily things have stabilized.

The new elevator has been commissioned and is state of art. We are back to 2 elevators and as such do not have an issue. Apologies that the same was not the case whilst you stayed with us.

Hope you will return sometime in the future.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Close to the ferry terminal - you walk like 3 blocks and you're there. There are two cash machines in front of the hotel, and around the corner there is a nice little cafe/coffeeshop with free internet.

The checkin was quite professional. They charge for the internet, but that's expected all across Africa. The service was great - ordered a coffee even after I'd had breakfast as I was working by the pool and they delivered it, no charge, and everything was perfect. Breakfast was epic.

I'd stay here again, but it was a bit spendy. Good for business travel.

Room Tip: Get a sea view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset I would like to thank you for the lovely review of the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall. Thank you for appreciating the front desk team. Glad that you liked the breakfast spread. I shall share your feedback with the team and am sure that they would be very pleased with the same.

Looking forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the near future.

mail: gm@newafricahotel.com
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

It was nice to walk from the ferry station and get out of the mess. The room was nice and the pool too. There's no free internet in the hotel but just around the corner there's a coffee store where you can enjoy a bite and work. We ordered room service and the food was really good. Overall the hotel is a good choice when you need to rest and regain you strength after traveling in Africa but a little bit expensive.
Breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for posting a review of the hotel.

I am glad that you liked the hotel overall. Glad that you found the hotel conveniently located. Thank you for appreciating the quality of the food in our in room dining. The kitchen team will be very pleased to hear the same. I have noted that you found the hotel a bit expensive. Its a bit surprising as we have always offered great quality and value to our customers. Appreciate your feedback nevertheless.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Mail: gm@newafricahotel.com
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

This is an in-the city Hotel It is a nice place especially when doing business.I liked their service and meals that are prepared by proffessional chefs.Their rooms are excellent.Their service staff are articulate.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms overlooking the Indian sea.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at the hotel.

I am glad that you liked the central location of the hotel. Its always been something that guests prefer whilst doing business in Dar. Glad that the kitchen team got it right in terms of the food production. We have a good set of chefs and I am glad that you have mentioned them in the review. I shall definitely share this feedback with them and am sure that they will be very pleased with the same.

Looking forward to hosting your future stays at the hotel.

GM & Director
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I organised for a group of about 25 people to stay at the New Africa for a conference - a great decision! Eric, Karen and all of the staff were very welcoming and made sure that all ran smoothly. All of our conference participants were happy with the accomodation and services. I ended up staying on for another 2 weeks after falling sick, and again, Eric, Karen and the team went out of their way to make me feel at home. Location right downtown, near the ferry for Zanzibar (a great weekend escape!). Highly recommended, I look forward to returning there on my next trip to Dar.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the water have a gorgeous view, however be prepared for 6am wake up when the church...
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay at the hotel.

I am very pleased to note that your colleagues and you enjoyed the stay at the hotel. Thank you for appreciating our residential conferencing facilities. I shall share your feedback with both Eric, Karen and the rest of the team. I am sure that they would be super enthused with your feedback. I am glad that the team took care of you when you were unwell. We try our best to ensure that we provide personalized care and attention to our guests. Thank you for appreciating the same.

Looking forward to hosting your next stay in Dar es Salaam.

On behalf of the team,

Warm regards,
GM & Director
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The staff, particularly Eric the general manager, go out of their way to help. I got saved from a visa hassle at the airport by a hotel driver. Thereafter nobody could do enough to make me feel more comfortable. I seriously wouldn't ever consider staying anywhere else and I can't recommend the hotel more highly

Room Tip: Try and get a view of the historic Lutheran cathederal
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ShankerN, General Manager at New Africa Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Tripadvisor member,

At the outset, thank you for posting a review of your stay.

I am very glad that Eric and the team could assist you with the visa issue. Glad that you had an uneventful stay with us. Nice to hear a thumbs up for the front desk team. They will be quite enthused with your feedback.

Looking forward to your next stay at the hotel.

e mail: gm@newafricahotel.com

Been to New Africa Hotel? Share your experiences!