“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Sun Dar es Salaam

You added Southern Sun Dar es Salaam to your Saves list
Southern Sun Dar es Salaam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Garden Avenue | PO Box 80022, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (Formerly Holiday Inn)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save TZS30,000 on select meals
Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Friendly and welcoming staff made me feel quite comfortable.

In room dining is efficient. Breakfast is wonderful with a wide variety of food. Enjoyed my time in the restaurant as well, the food was well prepared with a decent variety of options. Denzil made good suggestions and talked me through the menu as well as providing awesome personal service.

The rooms and gym are small, but the free WiFi made up for it and is solid. I had to request a fridge for my room, would have liked that to be standard.

I would definitely recommend Southern Sun Dar es Salaam to anyone visiting the area.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Wade V
Thanks for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel here in Dar. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and delighted that Denzil took such good care of you. Hopefully once we complete our refurbishment we will have mini fridges in all our rooms, as you point out it should be standard.

I hope your year ahead is going to be kind to you

Adam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Food was devine esp Swahili seafood dish, juicy fillet steak, tasty salads, excellent selection of wine, wide variety of great dishes in the menu, good ambience, and the staff was friendly. Denzil gave personal attention to almost every table ensuring that the restaurant lives up to its excellent standards. I would recommend Southern Sun to anyone visiting Tanzania. Overall service was super. Keep up the great work!!! My friends share the same sentiments.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
AdamGMSouthernSunDSM, General Manager at Southern Sun Dar es Salaam, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Shambala
I am delighted that we helped kick off the New Year on a good note! Thanks for your feedback, it really is encouraging to note that our Team led by Denzil are all doing the 'right' thing by making sure the food and service meet your expectations!
We are all looking forward to welcoming you and your friends back to our hotel!

Best Wishes for 2014!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Southern sun has good ambience and more surprisingly warm and friendly staff. That is not common in Tanzania.! Food is great though I hardly had time in the hotels restaurant. .for the few occasions I did I would give them a 6/10 for their food. Good place to be and quiet.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hi and Happy New Year Anthony M!
Thanks very much for taking the time for your review and for staying with us. We are blessed with a lovely team and I am glad they took such good care of you, same goes for our Chefs in the Kitchen and I am happy that they were able to hit the spot food wise.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We went as a family with a package from Kenya Airways and had a great 2013 Christmas!
Best things were the friendly staff, breakfast, TV channels, comfy bed n great pillows, and the pool and gym kept us in great shape (lol)
The botanical gardens were also nice, and the supervising managers were humble enough to help out the staff which is rather uncommon in big hotels.
Simply splendid and in the heart of the town. Would definitely go back.!!!

Room Tip: The standard room is just as good but while you can take a deluxe, even better. A/C is good everywhe...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear NellyK

Complements of the Season and thanks for your great review! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope you have managed to keep up the gym work! I am blessed with a magic team that genuinely enjoy their roles as hoteliers, got to love them makes my job easier!

All the best
Seville, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Very nice Hotel and friendly Staff.
Food and Beverage staff need more training, and its a pety that food is horrible.Sometimes menu is made on one way, other times its made on other way.Menu ideas are good but need more attention

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Manuel D!
Yikes I am so sorry you didn't enjoy our restaurant offering! As you can see from other posts our restaurant offer is generally well received. I saw you stayed in November which was when we were transitioning to a new menu and perhaps that explains the inconsistency. Whatever the reason thanks for letting us know, Joe our Exec Chef will take your comments on board !
I hope that the new year brings you much joy and great food!
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed at the Southern Sun for two and a half weeks back in November (sorry for the late review, guys). I've stayed in other hotels in the chain in South Africa and this one in Dar totally lived up to my expectations. The staff were without exception friendly, whether at reception, those servicing the rooms, at breakfast, at the bar or at dinner - and the level of service was very good.

Breakfast is very good, as was dinner. I ate in the hotel most evenings, and was always made to feel very welcome. Perhaps unfair to single anyone out as the service overall was great, but Denzil and Ross make sure you are being well looked after and are good company too. Having eaten my way through most of the menu, I'd have liked the specials menu to change more frequently, but for those on a shorter trip this will be less of a concern.

I did find the wifi a little intermittent. It generally worked well in the bar and lounge area, but was less effective in my room. As I depended on it for skype, I had to take and make calls downstairs. I see from Adam's reply to an earlier comment that the wifi has been upgraded, so I'm looking forward to an improvement if - and hopefully when - I visit again.

I'd have liked to have a small fridge in the room and was a little surprised there wasn't one. Even some of the worst hotels I've stayed in elsewhere in Africa have provided one.

And yes, football or other sport is on in the bar most of the time, but I don't remember the sound being up ever, even when there was a big game on live when I'd have been happy to hear it.

Mine was a long stay away from home and family. Thanks all for making it a comfortable and enjoyable one.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hi Steve C!
Feedback like yours is worth waiting for, thanks SO much for your insights, and corrections to other posts :) Ross and Denzil are Trojans and work very hard and I am delighted that their toils are paying off, and as you noted they are supported with a great team! Currently we don't put fridges in our rooms as standard, but they are available on request for no extra cost. BUT we are planning a refurbishment of our rooms and will make sure we include fridges as a standard, I agree it is an important facility. As is the Wi-fi, our resident fundi Yussuf is constantly tweaking the system to make sure we deliver the best possible speeds

thanks again and I hope you are blessed with a great New year,
Regards
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

I came to Dar Xmas week to see friends and old haunts. I came without a booking figuring I could easily find a place. I checked several hotels I have stayed at before and they looked run down. I just wasn't happy with the value proposition of the rooms they were offering me. When I got tired of looking went to this Southern Sun knowing they had standards I could count on.

Augustine, one of the staff, remembered me from earlier stays. Sure enough, the hotel and room looked great and as I remembered it, plus they offered me a special Xmas rate that made it a no brainier to stay. Besides the room, I was especially pleased with the exercise room and food.

The exercise room is small but very well appointed. The equipment all works. Fresh towels, apples and water. Nice view.

Had a friend for dinner and was told one special was tuna steaks. The fish had just been delivered to the fresh to the hotel and the steaks cut by the chef at 4:00 pm the same afternoon. This was a great choice for dinner.

Full breakfast buffet was available anytime from 3:00 a.m. As some of the airline crews who stay have breakfast before their flights. This was great for me as I had an early flight on the day I left.

Service was great and friendly. A friend and I walked to midnight mass at St Joseph Cathedral and then back afterwards. All and all a great, peaceful place to spend some of the holidays if you have friends or family in Dar.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Happy New Year MikeT789!
I am so happy that you stayed with us over Christmas, it is a quiet time for us and so which makes your custom that much more appreciated! Your review is so nice and factual thanks, I agree that the Tuna is difficult to miss out on and for sure Augustine is an absolute gem to have on our team!
I hope all goes well in 2014 and look forward to your return , hopefully before next Christmas!
Adam

Been to Southern Sun Dar es Salaam? Share your experiences!