“A Great Place in Dar!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Great Place in Dar!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed there two nights at the beginning and end of our trip in Tanzania and were very pleasantly surprised. The rooms were spacious and clean (the room we had on the second floor was better than the room we had on the eighth floor), the staff was nice and the restaurant had a decent food selection. One suggestion I would make is that they use PayPal in order to avoid the 5% transaction fee (this is normal throughout Tanzania). I also wish that they would have charged me for my entire stay prior to arrival rather than charging me separately for both nights stay and our airport transfers to avoid additional international bank fees. If you're going to stay there you should ask them to charge you in full at one time. Also their price for airport transfers is reasonable but make sure you have the right times arranged - despite them making me send them exact flight detail for all of our airport transfers (rather than just flight times) the guy that was supposed to drive us on our last day was very late. Luckily things are usually late in Africa so we didn't miss our flight but it was very nerve wracking.

Room Tip: the corner rooms are bigger and better
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Waltham, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Orr family of 4 stayed in a large, 3 bedroom apartment. It was huge. There was a dining table that could seat 8, so it was kind of funny that they have a "no guests" policy! We were very comfortable here, and ended up returning at the end of our Tanzanian trip. At the time we stayed, there was no restaurant, and that was the only downside, so now that there is one, I would highly recommend it for families. The administrative staff was efficient and helpful. We liked having access to the free computers in the lobby so that we could send quick emails home. Room price was very fair for what we got.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Kathmandu, Nepal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I booked a single room. The room I was given had a big mildew problem. I explained to the hotel booking office that the mildew will cause an infection in the lungs of the guest. I got the response "you see sir when it is getting damp these things coming it is normal there's nothing we do about it". I was told that there was only one other room available so I took it. The other room stunk. The next morning I felt ill. I met again with the hotel booking officials to ask if they had another room. The booking officials were dishonest in their response and very disrespectful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I stayed here for one night in between other accommodation in Dar. It was clean and the staff were courteous and helpful. The room had a strange layout and was rather dark, but it was comfortable and spacious. The breakfast was decent. Overall, this is a nice place to stay downtown. The location downtown is nice and seemed safe, even by night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows that don't face another building. You will likely have more light.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night in transit to our Safari and found it ok. The price point was great at under 100 dollars, but the hotel is a weird I can't put a finger on it, maybe it's the sign that tells you, you can't have visitors as if you are in a convent.

Free internet and breakfast are a nice touch and staff seems friendly.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

After reading the reviews about this hotel and browsing the website, I was convinced this would be a good choice. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. My room was stuffy, the Air conditioner had a mind of its own. If this had been the only issue I would have been ok with it. But The service was poor and the food cold. our tea order for breakfast came when were done with breakfast. I was even able to pick out undertones of racism amongst some of the attendants. that was very disappointing.

Room Tip: Insist on seeing rooms before booking if you can.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

No doubt among the best hotels in the city centre. It’s very clean, beautiful restaurant but limited choice on the menu. It has courteous staff, free wifi and can print free of charge. It has a gym, sauna and Jacuzzi on top floor free for for patrons. A warning next to lifts says: “we have a strict no alcohol policy” and “ .we cannot allow any visitors in any guest rooms“.

Room Tip: in some rooms one can hear throughout the night the noise of machines or vacums which, I think, circ...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to Tanzanite Executive Suites? Share your experiences!