“Good for transfers” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Zürich
“Good for transfers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed one night only at the hotel as we didn't have a good flight connection to Zanzibar. Booked transfers from the airport in the hotel and our driver picked us up without a word of complaint even though it tooks us quite a while to clear customs. No matter, we were welcomed with a smile and a complimentary bottle of water each and driven to the hotel (at night/early in the morning ca. 15mins drive). Reception was also very friendly and professional, got a local fruit juice while someone brought our bags up. As it was quite late, we decided to eat in the hotel and ordered some take-away over the reception - again, no problem at all. The room was spacious and clean, with fully functioning appliances and some more complimentary water, no complaints there either. Wake-up call, early-morning transfer to the airport - everything was on time. Will use the hotel again if I in Dar-Es-Salaam.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mombasa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Aside from the fact that the view from the hotel rooms is not very good, this hotel is quite good for the average business traveller. When I stayed in Feb 13, there was no inhouse restaurant for meals other than breakfast. However, they do supply you with a couple of menus from external restaurants (Indian & Chinese) and the delivery period and service was decent.
I was fortunate to get a corner room on the 4th floor but whilst the room was spacious and airy I cannot rave about a view. ...or compare it to others...
Wifi in the rooms was average....there were the usual issues when it was down..but aside from that..I had no major inconvenience.
Amenties in the room were good with safe, proper TVs, well stocked and clean bathroom, microwave, kettle and efficient service for any other requirements....
Breakfast was average....nothing to recommend ...but again nothing to criticize....would have appreciated a pot of filter coffee to be available instead of the sachets....these are available in the room anyway..
cost wise...this hotel gives you a fair deal and I would recommend same for any average business traveller.....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Lovely rooms, perfect for the one night lay over. Close to the port for ferry to Zanzibar so was perfect for us.

Internet wasn't great in the room. Breakfast was average. They did provide us with complimentary car to the port which was great!

• Stayed April 2013
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

It is a very nice hotel for Dar Es Salaam, room it is good, in our room AC a little bit too noisy. They have a very helpful staff. The wi-fi is working fine for Africa. You have to not exeed your expectation related to general conditions of acconodation in Africa. It is realy in the city center from a walking distance to all "important" sights from Dar.

• Stayed April 2013
Nairobi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here with my husband for one night while on en-route to Zanzibar by ferry. It is actually very near the dock for the ferry. They offer bed and breakfast only.For dinner or lunch you will need to order outside. Their wireless is fairly strong. Our room had an AC'S and a fan in the room. We had a mini-fridge, microwave and coffee/tea making facilities in the room. The rooms are clean and comfortable and a huge Flat screen TV. Unfortunately all the channels are Indian, which was so boring. There are no extra activities to do here, so do not stay here for more than 2 nights...unless you are on business.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Turku, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Tanzanite had an excellent location in heart of the city. Room was , juice and fruit salad was available. Friendly personnel. Wireless internet was not working all the time. Not a luxury hotel, but overall rate: very good value for the money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

When I consider how to rate a hotel, the ultimate questions is always, "Would I stay here again?" Although I didn't have a horrible experience, I would book elsewhere next time.

I stayed here for one night because my flight arrived in Dar too late to travel to Zanzibar. After reading the reviews, I wasn't expecting much but still left the hotel disappointed.

Location:
The hotel is located in central Dar quite close to the ferry. It took less than five minutes to travel between the hotel and ferry at 6:30 on a weekday morning.

Rooms:
As expected, the room was pretty basic. I'd like to say it was clean, but there was a small roach in the shower that evening and by the sink the next morning (perhaps it was the same one). I found it difficult to move past that 'ewwww' factor. The bed was not great, but I could live with it for one night.

Service:
The stay started out quite promising, and I encountered one of the friendliest security guards I've ever met. The man at reception who initially helped me was also very nice, although he told me that my 7 am ferry wouldn't leave until 7:30, so arriving at the ferry terminal at 7:10 was fine. (I was glad I arrived at the ferry station at 6:40 given the boat departed promptly at 7.) From there, things went a bit downhill.

I ordered takeaway from one of the menus in the room, and 15 minutes later, the front desk called to say it had arrived and would be sent up immediately. I called 20 minutes after that (e.g., 35 minutes after I ordered), and they said the food was still at the front desk but they would send it up. It came 15 minutes after that. Why it sat at the front desk for 35 minutes remains a mystery to me.

After that, interactions with the front desk staff always felt a bit off, but it may have been that I was just tired.

Food:
Truly, truly awful. One of the other reviewers commented how greasy the takeaway is, which is right. I ate three bites and threw the rest away despite a growling stomach. Breakfast the next morning was unappetizing, especially since I kept thinking about the roach in my room the evening before. The dining room's decor was old and tired, and 'sanitary' was not the word that came to mind.

If you need a place to crash for an evening between a flight and the ferry, you could do worse; still, I recommend booking elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Tanzanite Executive Suites? Share your experiences!