“Stay somewhere else” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 69 hotels in Dar es Salaam
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Stay somewhere else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This place is unorganized, sloppy, and has terrible service. We stayed here after booking over a month in advance and they still didn't have our reservation. The guys didn't care, and made us wait like an hour before accommodating us and actually requested that we go and print the original reservation even after confirming via mail.

I don't recommend this place.

344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We arrived at 2 am after a flying from Ethipia. We wanted a place to sleep for a few hours before taking the ferry to Zanzibar. When we arrived they didn't have our reservation, even though it was booked with anticipation and we even specified that we were arriving late. We lost like half an hour at the reception till we found and printed the reservation. Finally they took us for to a room that was very nice. There was no hot water. We went to sleep and woke up at 4am to a loud sound on the street, like a prayer. Then instead of waking us up at 5,40am as we asked they woke us up ar 5,20 (20 minutes at that hour, with out sleep is a long time). Breakfast was terrible. They offered a free ride to the ferry station which was cool, they put us on a taxi and then the driver tried to charge us for it! Avoid this place, the area is scary too!

Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

brilliant services, staff are very friendly they are willing to answer questions and assist in any way that they could. Clean and Comfortable rooms to the high standard, hotel restaurant they provide only breakfast but there is option of going to the hotel with your own food stuff and cook, also there is very close good restaurants and is within walking distance where you can have your lunch and dinner. Excellent hotel in Dar.

Room Tip: All the room are at high standard and nice but for nice view of the city you may take rooms on the e...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This is a relatively new hotel and I was quite concerned prior to arrival. My concerns were quickly changed to admiration. The rooms are huge and the service was exceptional. We were greeted with a cold fruit drink which set the tone for a most enjoyable stay. Excellent staff that responded to all of my requests. Hotel provides breakfast but does not have a restaurant. Also note that you can not drink alcohol in your room.

Room Tip: Rooms are large and are equipped with kitchen facilities.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

i was there a couple of weeks ago.
when you got to the place during the day i was a bit worry about the area... during the night.. oh dear!!!scary!!!!!

the lack of professionalism is present from the reception... no people skills at all. Iwas welcomed ok.. my girlfriend checked in in the afternoon and she wasn´t welcome at all, in fact from the door to reception everyone was extremely rude...
When i got to the room the housekeeper was still cleaning so i had to wait for her to finish
The safe had no batteries, so i had no choice but to keep all the valuables with me all the time. The TV had a good selection.. and that is all the entertaintment in the hotel... no restaurant no bar!!!!!!! they do some take away from a dodgy restaurant around the corner.. good luck!!!!
when we were getting ready to go out for dinner, we saw a couple of cockroaches coming out from under the mini fridge.. nice!!!
When we came back from dinner to the hotel, the staff didn´t want allow my girlfriend to get in... we had to go and fight (kind of literally) in reception.
The last bad thing was at breakfast. There is a small and very unactractive breakfast room, they star breakfast at 6.30. the day before we ask to have breakfast ready at 6.15 as wen were taking the ferry at 7. the thing is we were late and at 6.40 the breakfast was not ready yet!!!!!!!!!
To be honest, this is very avoidable place. by no chance deserve the number two at the tripadvisor but if you look at all the excellent reviews you´ll see that many many of them are from one single review.. someone who never wrote anyhting and suddenly decide to write about this place because is something never seen... suspicious.. very suspicious..

if you want a hotel, this is not it. If you want apartments, go to JB Belmont.Very nice, clean and safe

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is an excellent place to stay - the rooms are clean, spacious, hot showers, good provisions; the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful; breakfast tasty; and it is a great location for getting around Dar. I stayed here for 3 weeks and soon saw it as a friendly home, when my boyfriend came to join me he was warmly welcomed (which can sometimes be a problem for unmarried couples in Dar). As a 30 year old woman on her own I felt the place to be exceptionally safe, and that all staff looked out for me (one of the managers even phoned his wife to get the best spa in the city for a pedicure!). My one issue would be for the gym times to be more friendly to work hours for women, however this is a minor point and the management did make a special exception for me to attend out of female hours. All the staff from the managers, receptionists, waiters, porters, fitness trainers to the security all went out of their way to help me. I will continue to stay here when I visit and am glad to highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Try and get a corner room if you can (they are slightly bigger) and get a room high up for good view...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was in Dar es Salaam for one night at the beginning of my trip to Tanzania and stayed here. I was very pleased with the hotel and the service offered.
Firstly, I had wanted to get a bus to Arusha the next morning, and the hotel booked and picked up the bus ticket for me, for the same price as I had thought it would be if I went to get it myself. So when I turned up in Dar es Salaam, I didn't have to worry at all about getting a bus ticket.

My flight from the UK arrived very early in the morning, I was at least four hours before check in time. However, they showed me through to the breakfast room and by the time I was finished, after about 30-45 minutes, they allowed me to check into my room. The room was very large, with a nice, clean bathroom and a comfortable bed. There was a powerful hot shower, air conditioning, and free wifi. It was a bit sparse, and nothing particularly special, but it was clean and nice and felt safe. In fact, the hotel as a whole felt safe - Dar es Salaam, not so much!!!

If I was staying for longer, I think I would have preferred a slightly more personal hotel as this is very much a business hotel with little extra frills. However, everyone was very friendly and helpful and it was perfect for one night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Tanzanite Executive Suites? Share your experiences!