We stayed at the hotel for a relatives wedding, so there were a number of guests who were booked here.
1. The hotel failed to pick us up at the airport at the scheduled time despite repeated calls to the hotel and their driver.
2. We had two rooms between my family. The safe in our room was non existent and the other room had a safe which was locked.
3. The first evening (Friday) of our stay, we called the front desk to ask about the safe and were told that the person who knew how to operate it would return in the morning.
4. The next morning, I stepped out to get a haircut. When I returned, my pockets of my trousers had been emptied of all my Foreign Exchange but my domestic and African currency remained intact.
5. The hotel immediately referred to the notice on the desk citing they were not responsible for any theft. Yet., the maid came into the room twice, despite a sign saying "Do Not Enter", as we were staying the second and third night, first to make the beds, then to disassemble the bedding citing that were being moved to another suite.
6. By notifying the Front Desk about the need to use the safe, we provided the staff knowledge that there were valuables present. This of course is hindsight.
7. Internet Availibility. Each floor had it's own pass code. The first night, the Internet worked fine. The next morning, it was non existent, I was invited to go to the lobby or use the next floor but was not disclosed was that the router was not working on the floor at all. This would have given us grounds to move to another floor as internet availibility was critical.
8. In reviewing the room I was in, it appreared that the reason that there was no safe in my room was because it had been lifted out of the room to begin with. Which gives addtional rise as to security concerns.
9. In meeting with management and the police, I provided my passports to management for safekeeping. Later, when I needed the passports, there was no-one to be found from whom I could obtain the passports.
All things considered, this hotel was a complete disaster. And being new, there were numerous other issues - 1 tiny elevator for a 12 storey buliding in a country where blackouts are commonplace, faulty showers, room doors, etc.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
First of all we are sorry about your experience at the Hotel. We will like to reply on each point.
Report response as inappropriate
1. The driver had left to pick you up well ahead of time for him to be at the airport in time but due to the long weekend (Nane nane weekend), he was stuck in traffic and took him couple of hours to get at the airport. Sorry for this inconvinience.
2. Sorry about the safe issue. The last guest in that room had locked the safe instead of keeping it open for the next guest therefore, the safe needed to be opened by the key and the keys are usually handled by the Manager for the safety of the guests. So the front desk advised you to wait until the morning.
3.Really sorry about the missing/lost cash from your trouser pocket when you went for haircut. As you know, the management immediately called the police. After you opened the case in the central police station, the maid was taken to the police station by the security guard of the hotel and was detained in the lock up for three days. There is one descrepancy in the amount as according to your earlier statement to the police infront of the Manager and House keeping supervisor, the amount was different and the statement you gave to the police at night the amount is different. The difference is $600 between both the amounts. The police had come to get the statements again from both the manager and House keeping supervisor and both these people are going to be witnesses in the court case for you. Your son was in the room when the maid entered the room both the times.
4. Internet availability - As you know we provide free wifi internet but there are certain things beyond our control specially late at night/early morning. Sorry for inconvinience caused
5. Passports were given to Front desk Manager for safe keeping. He was on the shift upto 11.00 p.m. and then finished for the day. If we had known you wanted the passports very late at night/early morning, we could have arranged to give these to the receptionists. Since you were travelling to Zanzibar around Midday, the front Desk Manager thought you needed the passports before you left for Zanzibar and he was on duty again from 8.00 a.m. and give these to you in the morning which he did .
AGAIN SORRY FOR YOUR EXPERIENCES.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.