“Excellent for quick transit, good food, if you don't mind the location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Transit Motel Airport

You added Transit Motel Airport to your Saves list
Transit Motel Airport
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   4 Block D Karakata Rd, Off J Nyerere Airport | P O Box 18083, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania   |
Ranked #44 of 74 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Leuven, Belgium
“Excellent for quick transit, good food, if you don't mind the location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very efficient taxi service from and back to the airport at a reasonable price.
Sufficiently clean room, airco, shower etc.
Until 22;00 you can get a meal and a drink. We recommend the local fish: good value for money.
Environment is a bit specific, but this is no problem with the taxi service.
Location is just next to the airport, which is really a big advantage given the awful traffic jams from Dar and the long ques in the airport itself

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2014

I used the Transit Motel to kill some time between a domestic and international flight. Located close to the airport, theoretically in walking distance. Nevertheless, would not recommend walking. Hotel is located in a busy area, with a lot of local stalls, road is very bumpy, therefore it is better to use a taxi. Room was clean, AC working, beds do have mosquito nets. Internet was complimentary, but very slow. Price for the dayroom was with 25 USD reasonable. Hotel is fenced, but cannot say anything about security during night.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Accrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

I booked via hotel reservations website and paid in full. Arrived at Transit Motel (airport) at 3am in the morning and they new nothing of my reservation and I had a job convincing them I had paid. I had to wait whilst the only person on duty prepared a room. I had tried to communicate direct with the motel direct but the hotel reservation website did not give either a telephone number or email address that works. I actually wonder of the motel ever received the money I had paid Hotel reservations. The motel itself is OK with Air con and the restaurant which will serve basic food very cheaply (e.g. chips and an omelette for about £3) Tea =40p. The motel will arrange to pick you up from the airport for 8,000Tsh = £3. If you get any other taxi they will charge you 10,000Tsh about £3.50p. Although the motel is only half a mile away the dirt road to it is not suitable for luggage on wheels as they would soon break. Don't walk there it is not safe especially in the early hours of the morning. In future I will book directly with the Motel .
To help other travellers here is a bit of information you might find useful.
Single room $40, double room $50 Tel +255 22 2842177
+255 784 584252 and + 255 653 584252
Website: www.transitmotels.com
email: reservations@transitmotels.com

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Marbleton, Quebec
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

We stayed two nights at this hotel near the airport. At first glance, everything looked good, the room was clean and as expected included all promised amenities. After a few hours, too many things went wrong! Breakfeast was not a moment of delight! Personnel in the eating area was not friendly and seem to think we shouldn't be there! They made comments about our choices in swahili between themselves that we not appropriate we figured out; the offerings were confined to dry bread, jam and bas coffee as everything else was empty even if breakfeast was still on for another half an hour. The very frequent electricity blackouts and the very slow response to start the generator made our stay very unpleasant, day and night, as the extreme heat made every move inconfortable. When electricity was on, the air conditionning unit was not functioning properly; we had to chance room and most other rooms in this hotel has the same problem. Many other small aspects of our stay make this place not recommendable to others.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Duncan, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

This motel serves the purpose for someone who needs to be on an early flight out in the morning. As an (older) single woman on my own, arriving at 10:00 p.m., it was comforting to see the taxi driver standing there with a name sign for me when I exited the airport. The $5 cost is a bargain as although it is walkable you have to cross a pretty busy highway. The area near the motel is a bit rough and it would have been nice if there had been a bottle of water in the room. I felt completely safe once driving through the gates but I would not have wanted to venture out on my own for water at that time of the night. The internet did not work for me and the staff couldn't figure out why. The motel is clean, comfortable and the staff are friendly. I left before breakfast was served and although I had read they could make a breakfast bag to go the staff didn't seem to know about this.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2014

While this may not be ideal accommodation for your whole stay if you're on holiday, this is a perfect place to stay if you're in transit at Dar Es Salaam airport or waiting for an inconveniently timed flight, just as the name suggests.

Very easy to book online and very quick to reach from the airport. I agree with other reviewers that technically it is close enough to walk from the airport, and the airport taxis do overcharge given that it's a 5 minute drive, but they're still pretty cheap and if you have a suitcase the road condition and location mean it's not a great idea to walk, especially given the usual hot temperatures. As a woman travelling on my own for that part of the journey and clearly being a tourist, I wouldn't consider walking around here on my own, and especially not at night.

I stayed from about 1:30pm-1:30am between flights (which I think qualified as a cheaper 'day' booking rather than the 'per night' rate).

This is excellent value for money and actually much nicer than I had been expecting.

The room I stayed in was basic but clean and bug free, with a large ceiling fan and very effective air conditioning plus several working sockets. There was a small flatscreen TV but I didn't use it, as the wifi was excellent and unlimited - strong enough to allow streaming on one device while browsing on another. At first I wondered whether I was just lucky and no other guests were there/awake but the signal strength was consistent throughout the evening when there were definitely other people here.

The staff in the bar/restaurant and at the front desk were all extremely friendly and helpful.

The one meal I had at the restaurant was nice, and such a large portion that I couldn't finish it. It was very reasonably priced, as was the beer. [Chicken curry with ugali (or rice) plus a Kilimanjaro beer was TZS14,000 - so around £5 / $8]. The range on the menu was pretty good, but like most places that use fresh ingredients, they don't always have everything so my first choice (fish curry) wasn't available.

Other reviewers mentioned noise - I didn't experience anything unreasonable or too late. Another reviewer also mentioned a complaint about the water temperature and pressure - again,
I had a different experience and found it perfectly adequate, particularly for Tanzania.

Overall I was extremely impressed - I don't pass through here often but when I do I will definitely be staying here between flights again, and I have recommended it to friends and their colleagues.

Asante sana!

Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2014

The room was clean and service was friendly. I was not expecting such a nice breakfast in a comfortable dining room. Check in was efficient. The A/C worked fine as did the internet (all included), We had the pick up from the airport. But if I had one bag and knew where the hotel was it is an easy 10 - 15 minute walk and would spend the $5.00 on a beer instead!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Transit Motel Airport? Share your experiences!