“Fabulously surprised and impressed” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre

You added Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Upanga Road | Azikiwe St/ Upanga Rd Junction City Center Dar Es Salaam, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 74 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulously surprised and impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

My initial view of holiday inn was a cheap motel at the side of the road for a stop off on a long trip in the UK - maybe a little unfair. However when I booked in for a night during my transit through Dar Es Salaam, I couldn't have had a nicer or easier experience. Mind you - its not cheap - about $200 for room and transfers to and from the airport. I was met by the loveliest lady who spoke perfect English and introduced me to my taxi driver, the car was nice and clean. My room was perfect, they sorted all my problems with wifi almost instantly , the food and rooftop bar were both wonderful. I didn't even have a chance to check out the pool and gym but I was REALLY impressed. My view has completely changed. I left before having time to have breakfast but that did also look rather good too, with a lot of choice. A perfect stop off!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear EES777,

Greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

Thank you for writing such a fabulous review about our hotel on trip advisor.com. We value your opinion and respect your thoughts. I was pleased to know that you found the hotel better than your expectations. You have appreciated our room quality and the wi fi which is a welcome sign. You did not have a chance to use our pool and the gym but you managed to view these facilities in our hotel and were impressed by them Thank you once again for your appreciation of all our facilities.

We look forward top see you again so that you enjoy all the facilities including the gym, swimming pool and the breakfast.

Mahesh Chander Langoo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

This is my first visit to Dar es salaam. I am sure that i met all my expectations. when driver said "welcome back sir", my husband told him this is our first visit.. Loll!!. There was good buffet with many varieties. WiFi is ok. My husband loves this rooftop restaurant and me as well. There was multiple times power failure. there was hot water problem for 2 days which had resolved before we check out. I guess this is normal in Africa. we went to jangwani, Mbudya island, bagamoyo and tegeti where we enjoyed a lot. The driver was awesome. The staff is very friendly and helpful. we are planning to be back to dar es salaam in January again. we will certainly stay here. Praise the lord.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Elizabeth J,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

We welcome your views about our property on Tripadvisor.com. It is always good to hear praise from our customers, that makes us feel that we have been able to do our job correctly. Our aim is to surpass the expectations of our esteemed guests but sometimes we fail because of the circumstances which are not in our hands and beyond our scope of preparations. But we work tirelessly to sort out all problems at the earliest, in order not to inconvenience our guests. We are happy to note that you took our offer of free shuttle to the beach resort and also took a boat ride to the islands. We offer a lot to entertain you at the beach resort and make your stay with us a memorable one.

We look forward to see you back again in January.

UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

To use trip advisor correctly the point is to score the hotel as you find it during the stay
This hotel is very poor
We had no hot water for 2 days and despite complaining each time the excuse was the boiler was broken and it will take several days to push the hot water through the system-pathetic statement from management
The wireless internet is a disgrace and should never be charged for
TV less than useless
Breakfast plenty of stale and mouldy items

200 USD a night plus-plus is just not good value for money- find another hotel

To the management- I have noted your usual excuses when replying to trip advisor comments, please save them for some one else, with me you are wasting your time
I will be escalating this to HI International and let them know how you treat gold members

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear GSPS,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

We sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences caused to you during your stay at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam. We had a problem with our hot water systems due to sudden surge in the electric voltage in the area. Our fuel operated boiler was working but the pumps could not circulate the hot water. Some of our essential equipment's stopped working because of this surge in voltage. Unfortunately our back-up system also stopped working at the same time.

Now i can confirm that the hot water systems have been restored and we do not have any issues pertaining to hot water.
Our wi fi is always free to all our in house guests. We do not charge for wi fi. The TV's are working fine.
I am sorry to hear about the breakfast, because all our guests have appreciated the wide variety of morning bakeries that are displayed nicely during the morning breakfast. We have an in-house bakery and all our morning bakeries are baked fresh and consumed the same day. The hot dishes are also cooked in the morning.
Our breakfast is always fresh and has been liked by all our guests.

I would like to meet you in person on your next visit t Dar Es Salaam. I request you to let me know about your travel plans next time and i will be happy to extend all due courtesies to you on your next visit as a part of our service recovery.
Looking forward to see you again at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam.

Dar Es Salaam Region, Tanzania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

The hotel itself is well presented and the beds seem clean etc. But what no one mentions here is that the whole hotel smells of mold. The first indication I got was in reception and then in the room it is overpowering. Its is in every corridor and every area of the hotel. You cant get away from it. It comes through the A/C too. There was no hot water in the morning either. This hotel need a complete refurbishment. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear marcus b,

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Loughborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Stopped here as I'm a IHG member on company business, got to say this hotel is over priced.
Reception staff were friendly.
Stopped on the executive floor room 904, the room was clean, but carpet was stained and black round the edges.
My only real complaint about the room was that some days there was no hot water for showering.
Breakfast is adequate but service for coffee or tea is slow.
Laundry service was good and returned the same day.
Overall my stay was adequate.
I'm due to return again in August so hopefully the hot water problem in this hotel will improve.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Colin8358,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay at our property. There was a sudden and unfortunate surge in the electricity supply which caused our hot water systems collapsed. Even the heating elements in our back-up hot water tank also broke down. We have sorted out the problem of hot water and i can now confirm that the electrical systems ahve been restored and there is abundant supply of hot water in the hotel.
With regards to the mould smell, it is the smell of a special approved germicide we use to keep away all germs and insects. The germicide sometimes leaves an after smell for some time and it becomes difficult to remove this smell as our intention is to keep the germs/insects away.

The point for slow breakfast service has been taken well and the concerned managers of the restaurant have been briefed to improve this.

We look forward to see you soon at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam.

clawson
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel with welcoming staff and clean rooms ( apart from the carpet) there are 2 bars and the food is great however the breakfast is moderate with rubber eggs etc. The gym works and it has free wifi which is more hit then miss. Overall happy stay.

• Stayed August 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear damppants,

Let me first thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit. We are delighted to know that you had an overall good stay at our property and that you appreciate our accommodations and staff. However, it is unfortunate you were disappointed with the breakfast and wifi. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Free Wi-Fi and welcoming staff!!! Roof top restaurant to relax and clean rooms to stay! Value for your money too. Excellent facilities with Computers and very friendly IT Manager!!!!!
Duty Manager responds within minutes any time whether its day or night to resolve any issues no matter how trivial they are!!! Very happy - will definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
MaheshCLangoo_68, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear SriAgasthyaraju,

Warm Greetings from Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam!

We appreciate your good comments about our property on tripadvisor.com. It was a pleasure to have you at our hotel and we are happy to see that you have enjoyed our services. You have specially mentioned about our roof top restaurant and IT services. Your comments about our It manager and the Duty manager are most welcoming and we will pass your comments to the concerned staff.

We are happy to see that you would definitely come back to Holiday Inn, Dar Es Salaam. We look forward to welcome you once again at Holiday Inn Dar.

Best regards,

Holiday Inn
5 Upanga Road
Azikiwe St/ Upanga Rd Junction
City Center Dar es Salaam
P.O Box 3222
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Been to Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre? Share your experiences!