“Chefs should wake up” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre

You added Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Upanga Road | Azikiwe St / Upanga Rd Junction City Center, Dar es Salaam 3222, Tanzania   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #27 of 80 Hotels in Dar es Salaam
Kampala, Kampala, Uganda
“Chefs should wake up”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Hotel is good but dining experience is terrible. Plus I felt like I was being discriminated against. I mean even when I ordered early, I got my orders way before other people. That is just sad!
And seriously, the chefs need to go back to school or take more time thinking of something new. There is no variety in the meals. For the whole week i stayed there, the buffets stayed the same. lost my taste buds. I believe they can get better.

Room Tip: i liked the higher floors
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
eclipse22, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Balix H,

Thanks for your comments following your recent stay in Tanzania.

We apologise for your disappointment with our food variety during your stay, however on your next visit you will be suprised by the changes we have made in the Restaurant.

It was only shortly after your stay that we launched our new Ala Carte menu featuring a wide variety of meals to suit all palates.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn.

Paul Ferguson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I was expecting more when i booked the hotel for a conference in September. Well, i was disappointed. Frist the conference room given was too squeezed. I had requested for a double bed but the did not have one. The person at teh reception promised to give me a room by end of day and i really had to pester tehm every few hours to get one. Finally got one. The bed is comfortable, my room smelt of smoke or something.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
eclipse22, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Susan N,

Please accept our sincere apologies for failing to meet your expectations.

We do on the odd occasion have delays in assigning the correct room type for our guests. The situation arises from the fact that we offer late departures to all guests due to late night flights and this can inconveniences arriving guests. When situations of this nature occur, we always move the guest to their preferred room as soon as possible.

Our new panoramic rooftop conference venue opens in December 2012, and will comfortably accommodate up to 120 people. We would gladly welcome you back to the hotel to review these facilities at your convenience.

We delighted you enjoy a good night’s sleep at the Holiday Inn.

Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed at the HI Dar for 4 nights while doing some business in the city besides holding a meeting in one of the hotel's conference rooms. Its so hard to review the hotel without breaking it into the PROs and CONs since they have so much going for it - just as by the same stroke they do have plenty of areas to work on. PROs by far outweighed the CONs but here goes;

PROs
Good value for money
Seamless Airport Transfer
Location bang in the middle of Dar - excellent if you have business in town
An executive lounge with complimentary drinks and snacks all day long
Modern amenities in the room (only disappointment is the bathroom)
Very friendly housekeeping staff - they always had a smile on
Charming Rooftop bar - serving an assortment of drinks and a la carte menu (need to improve on music as same CD kept looping)
Excellent conference facilities with good A/C
Coffee making facilities in the room, plus a mini-bar and 3 complimentary bottles of water daily

CONS
Breakfast staff looked gloomy and took ages to respond to requests
Frequent power failures (although they rarely last more than a minute but still a nuisance)
In room carpet was dirty

TIPS
Settle all your restaurant / bar bills in local currency (Tshs) upon consumption as you will get ripped off when checking out (if the bills are posted to your room)

Room Tip: The corridors can get a bit stuffy (not the hotel's fault, probably due to the humidity) so get...
Dear Alex M,

Thank you for your complimentary and constructive review. Please be assured that your points have been addressed with the relevant departments, and that more importantly we have adjusted the error in our exchange rates.

The power supply situation is unfortunately a regional issue, and as you correctly point out rarely last more than a minute but are still a nuisance.

Thank you once again for your review.

Chehalis, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I stayed at this Holiday Inn for a total of 7 evenings...5 upon my first visit and 2 upon my second visit. The 2 visits were separated by a 2 day trip to Mwanza and I also stayed in 2 different rooms/categories (Suite and Executive) on each visit. The rooms were very comfortable and very clean, although the bathrooms were a bit behind the times compared to the decor of the rest of the rooms. I have nothing but praise for the kitchen, restaurant and housekeeping staffs...they were absolutely fantastic. With friendly smiles, warm welcomes and willingness to help in any manner they could, they were always a pleasure to be around and talk to. The restaurant had a very good menu and the food was prepared very well and delivered to the table quickly. The entire restaurant staff was attentive and very hospitable. Not all was exceptional at this establishment though...the front end counter people unfortunately were it's downfall, therefore reducing what I could have given this Holiday Inn for a rating. Upon check-in I was not informed of the various amenities that were included in my booking...especially breakfast. When I booked my first visit I knew that it included complimentary breakfast, but was not informed that it was not a breakfast served in the restaurant...it was served in an entirely different part of the hotel. I also was not informed that my booking also included complimentary drinks and snacks throughout the day in this same location I was to take breakfast. On my third morning I went to the restaurant for breakfast and was told I had to pay for it. Upon questioning the front desk regarding this I was told by 2 out of the 3 I was talking to that my booking did not include breakfast. The third person stated that I did book a room that included breakfast, but not in the restaurant. I later spoke to the front end manager/supervisor and she removed the breakfast charge from my bill and stated she was terribly sorry for the lack of info given upon my check-in. My original booking was for 3 days and before my travel to Tanzania I had arranged with the front end manager/supervisor an extended 2 days stay totaling 5 days. On the 3rd day of my stay I was called in my room asking when I was leaving. I stated that I was not leaving and that I had booked an extra 2 days. I went to the front desk and presented the booking confirmation I had received via email from the front end manager/supervisor, but was now being told I needed to settle my bill for the first 3 nights first, then my extended 2 nights would be billed separately and would settle this bill upon checkout. I gave them a second chance with a return visit for may last 2 nights of the 7 I stayed with them...all was better, but there still needs to be better training of their front end staff. If anything they need to be aware of the different booking levels and explain to their customers what is available to them according to their booking. The need for training is very apparent. Hopefully they can accomplish this and see their rating improve.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
eclipse22, General Manager at Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. We delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn, and that the vast majority of our team members were able to deliver great customer service. We will certainly address the training issues with regards to our front desk, and we extend our apologies for the confusion surrounding your room rate inclusions. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn on your next visit.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed here on my way to Zanzibar Island, and the Holiday Inn is simply the best hotel in Dar es Salaam, came on 29th june 2012 to 30th june 2012. The rooms were perfect. the food great The staff were very helpful.. there is nothing else to say!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Ray O,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. We delighted your enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn, our central location makes us an ideal stopover for the ferries to Zanzibar. I'm sure you had a terrific journey to Zanzibar and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn on your next visit.

Aarhus, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Holiday Inn for 5 days in August. It is really well located if you have business to do in the city centre. Was able to walk to all my appointments. Rooms are reasonable. Too many lights in the room making it difficult to sleep. After turning off all the different lights and electronic equipment it was far better - but too many switches and thingies.

Would stay there again if I had to return and do business in the same area.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Big Al DK,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. The central location of the Holiday Inn makes it ideal for the CBD of Dar es Salaam. Hotels do sometimes have a problem with over complicated light switching systems, and we trust you had a good nights sleep eventually.

Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The room was clean and comfortable and in the usual Holiday Inn style and perfectly fine. Why is it that a hotel can get a room clean, with modern touches and decent enough furniture but think its acceptable to have a bathroom that would not be out of place in a Dickensian dross house. Come on HI, we know you can do better!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Charlie L,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments, we apologise for the state of our bathrooms. We are currently refurbishing the bathrooms to bring them back to standard. On you next visit i'm sure we will have time to have a catch up to discuss these problems in more detail.

Paul Ferguson

Been to Holiday Inn Dar Es Salaam City Centre? Share your experiences!