“Lovely, central place with great staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Pension Dar Omar Khayam
26, 28 Rue AL Antaki, Tangier 90000, Morocco   |
Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Tangier
Sweden
“Lovely, central place with great staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Lovely little hotel with an excellent location in the new part of town and far more charm than larger and more expensive hotels.
Rooms are quite different from one another but #16 was bright and airy and really nice.
The staff was more than accomodating and friendly as other have pointed out.
Great value for money and I highly recommend it (not sure what negative reviewers are complaing about but I'm quite certain that the error lies in their unrealistic expectations rather than the hotel itself).

• Stayed June 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Tangier was our first stop in Morocco, and the staff were both welcoming and went above and beyond in providing us with local knowledge and assistance with respect to onward travel. The facilities were spare, but there was nothing to be desired.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I think my title sums up the way I feel. The atmosphere was very cool, breakfast was good. We stayed only overnight and barely saw the place, as we were driving through, but it was just what we needed, at a very comfortable price for today's restricted budgets !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here on my first visit to Tangier and was a little nervous about visiting Tangier as a solo female traveler. This hotel made me feel so much better about my trip, the owner gave me his personal cell number as soon as he found out I was traveling alone and told me to call him if I needed anything at all. All of the staff was friendly and made a delicious breakfast! Even more, the owner drove me to my ferry and made sure I got on without a problem. The room was nice and the price was more than reasonable, I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Dar Omar Khayam has been one of those great experiences I've had with a hotel hostal and I wanted to share that with all of you. It is located in a very modern street, yet a walking distance to the historical Kasbah. Also not far from the port. In fact, I walked from the ferry to the hotel.
The hotel has a very large outdoors patio, this is much better than other morrocan hotels that have small indoor patios where you hear the guests chatting. Instead at Dar Omar, because the window of my room opened to the open garden patio, it was completely quiet. The bathroom was modern, hot water worked perfectly. The bathroom was large and spacious and clean. WIFI worked very well, and in fact it was so powerful that I had several skype phone conferences without a glitch.

Oh, the owners have lived a great amount of time in the United States and speak English probably better than you and understand where you are coming from.

Regarding Tangiers, I was surprised, it has so many interesting things to see, not just the very old historic Bazar.Kasbah, but more recent stuff, like buildings from the 1950's. It was rather clean. In now way chaotic like Fez.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Good location, helpful staff were positives. An attached bath room without roof and sharing ceiling with bedroom, a dysfunctional WC and street noise were negatives. In winter may be OK but lack of Aircon and NO fan were no good. Almost at mid-night I thought to go to staff and ask for a pedestal or any other type of fan.,

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from street side. If summer ensure a fan is availble.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were a young couple traveling with a friend, backpacking for a month through Morocco and Spain, on a pretty tight budget. This place was just what we were looking for. The location was great, with the waterfront at the end of the street and the medina approx 3 blocks further down; Dar Omar served as a great launching pad to explore the area.

The location is close to many parts of Tangier that you want to see, and although centrally located, Dar Omar's street is actually very quiet so we slept quite soundly. After walking around the busy and noisy medina at night I was glad to escape the commotion to Dar Omar. The rooms were basic but very clean and had a nice cozy/shabby style, plenty of hot water for showers. The service was good, very attentive. In the morning breakfast was prompt and satisfying, nothing fancy or elegant, but basic and delicious. We liked it so much that on our return to Tangier, very tired after 3 days of exploring Fes and the desert, we sought out Dar Omar again to be our refuge in Tangier and we were so happy when they welcomed us back with open arms.

Based on what I had read on the internet prior to our travels I did not have high expectations for Tangier while in Morocco but now after having visited I believe it was my favorite part, no small thanks to Dar Omar to make it so. If I am lucky enough to return I will stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Pension Dar Omar Khayam? Share your experiences!