“Incredibly excellent place and hospitality.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar 23

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tangier
Dar 23
23 rue Las Once | Ancienne Médina, Tangier 90000, Morocco   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 39 Tangier B&B and Inns
Poland, Ohio
“Incredibly excellent place and hospitality.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I cannot speak highly enough about Dar 23, Peter, and Mohamed — who not only provided a wonderful welcome, but did everything they could to help me when my bank In the U.S. froze ATM access to my account. Dar 23 is beautiful and peaceful, where you'll hear few sounds other than the occasional bird and the Muslim call to prayer. My room was more comfortable than I could have imagined (far, far better than most hotel beds) Peter is a well-traveled and very interesting man, whose advice is trustworthy and more than helpful. Talking with him over a delicious breakfast was an unexpected reward of my stay. Mohamed met me at the ferry, and walked with me to Dar 23. He helped me get a Moroccan SIM card for my phone, helped me with a cab to the train station to buy the ticket for the next leg of my trip, took me to a reasonably priced place for dinner, and translated for me when needed. He speaks little English, and I speak little French. Still we could communicate. My highest recommendation to Tangier-bound travelers is that they stay at the charming Dar 23. I will have wonderful memories thanks to Peter and Mohamed.

Room Tip: Any room would be perfect. But bring shampoo.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

140 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Gibraltar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a lovely riad in the medina which has been beautifully refurbished, you immediately feel very much at home. Mohamed doesn't speak much english although its enough to get through. When I needed some directions he got hold of Peter on Skype so I spoke to Peter direct. As others have said, the breakfasts are great and WIFI was available throughout the hotel. My only suggestion is that they provide complementary shampoo as I was caught out!

The hotel is situated just a stone throw away from the Petit Socco so you are right in the centre of things however if you are out late at night it can feel a bit uncomfortable as it's located in a dark side street. Well done guys you have a fabulous Riad.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Ridgewood, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Dar 23 is a small guest house located withing the Medina (old section) of Tangier. What makes it so special is the houses's owner, Peter. We only stayed one night, but Peter is so warm and welcoming that I really felt like we were staying with an old friend. And now that we've met him, we have a wonderful new friend.

Because tourists arriving via ferry from Tarifa are often hassled by would be guides, we asked Peter to send someone to meet our boat. This is a good idea, as the Medina is quite confusing and first-time visitors will definitely have trouble finding the house. Once you become oriented, however, it's really not so difficult to navigate.

I had also asked Peter to arrange a guide for us for a half day tour. When the guide didn't turn up, Peter himself walked us through the Medina & Kasbah, pointing out places of historical interest. This was such a kind gesture--and I'm sure his tour far surpassed anything a guide would have provided. Once he got us oriented to the area we were able to get around quite well on our own.

Our room was lovely and opened up to a courtyard. We did use the provided electric fan to provide a breeze, as the weather was hot when we visited Morocco. There is also a terrific view from the (shared) roof. Breakfast included freshly baked breads, fresh fruit and yogurt, freshly squeezed OJ, and strong coffee. We chatted with Peter as he got things ready.

So glad that we chose Dar 23 as our home away from home in Tangier! Thank you so much, Peter.

P.S. Be aware that you will be awakened quite early in the morning by the Muslim call to prayer. Also, because we were in Tangier on a Friday, for a while in the afternoon, competing prayers were loudly broadcast by two mosques. It's pretty disconcerting.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

What a welcoming and wonderful gem in the heart of Tangier! Peter was one of the most gracious hosts whose hotel is a great escape from the hustle and bustle of the streets below. Whether it was his delicious breakfasts of fresh fruit with yogurt, house-made breads with jams and butter, and fresh juice and tea, or the art decor of this inviting, warm, and clean environment, his attention to detail is impeccable. He was so helpful about guiding us throughout the city, any questions you have regarding anything Tangier Peter has the answer. If you can, opt to have dinner prepared in the hotel. What a meal, truly authentic! Out of all the meals my wife and I had in Tangier(from casual dining to more formal) this meal was the best we had! If your coming to Tangier you must come here, I truly believe there is no place better!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Peter's hotel is a gorgeous retreat from the hustle and bustle of Tangier. Its hidden away from a little square, close to the water, within the old medina and in walking distance to the new part of the city. The hotel's design is incredibly inspiring. The interiors are a mix of old, new, moroccan with european sensibilities. Every aesthetic detail is accounted for from the dishes used to serve your breakfast to the framed Picasso posters on the wall.

Peter is a kind, interesting, host. He greeted us with cool mint tea, showed me around the city, and woke up extra early to prepare my breakfast before my morning flight. Care was put into every detail and I greatly appreciated that!

I highly recommend Dar23!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Dar23Tanger, Owner at Dar 23, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
It was lovely to have you and Joe staying in our home, your one night's stay is too short! you must come back soon so that we will be able to show you all that Tangier has to offer! Thank you again for taking the time to write such a lovely review. Best of luck with your study in France. Peter
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Beautiful, tranquil home with three guest suites situated just off the Petit Socco in the historic medina. My husband and I stayed in the Nomade suite on the top floor. Peter, the proprietor, provided great restaurant/sight-seeing recommendations and tips for navigating Tangier.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

a narrow street with a slight incline. a past. a present. facing dar 23. ooohhhh and a delightful sigh of yes this is where we should be! i think as the door opens. lovely this is. art. timelessness. wonder. ever present morocco. funky chic. tasteful. books galore of masters from a glam world of devine fashion. music to transport the soul. a beauty of a rooftop garden. exquisite plants. a great touch of nature that finds its way throughout the dar.

and the beautiful people so much a part of this wonderful space. peter, though we did not yet meet, could not have been a more gracious host. helpful from the start. before we even left for morocco, hints of this and that to recognize and see. ever present throughout our stay at the dar though he was not around. answering questions immediately. and mohammed to help us with our bags. to show us the way. and though throughout the dar be there treasures to see and touch, the best of all is najat. a true gem. her cooking is superb. the food is absolutely to die for. and ever so memorable. to this day i can taste her wonderful creations. truely a gift!!!!

don't dally. don't change your mind. this is where you should be. the rooms are spotless. the lighting is moroccan:) the house is splendid. comfortable. current. cool.... so tangier cool.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar 23? Share your experiences!