“avoid it!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Al Batoul

Dar Al Batoul
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rabat
Dar Al Batoul
7 Derb Jirari, Rabat, Morocco   |
Ranked #28 of 40 Rabat B&B and Inns
Alicante
“avoid it!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

No TV, no safe, no key to lock your room.
No hot water before ten minutes with the tap open (good for ecology and draught!).
Bad breakfast. Scary owner indeed. Unpleasant to find out at the last minute that the price published in the Internet does not include taxes and breakfast.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

26 people have reviewed this hotel

The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

It is true, you cannot lock the rooms, but this is not really necessary because the riad is wel kept and closed from the outside. This is the case with all the riads in Morocco as we experienced.... The rooms are very tiny but beautiful decorated and worth while staying in it. It is difficult to find a tourist restaurant in the neighbourhood. We went to a pizza restaurant with our guid, this was very good but pretty far away. Rabat medina is not a good place to walk on your one at nigt, always take your tourguide or a taxi outside the medina.
The hotel was quiet, but you will wake up early with Allah! You receive a good breakfast in the centercourt of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2009

The arrival was pleasant. The receptionist initially sweet. When we came back in the evening and wanted to take a shower, the bathroom flooded. We then noticed the bathroom was slimy, moldy and dirty. You had to stand on a dirty moldy wooden plank among murky waters since the water did not drain well. We complained to the receptionist and she gave us keys to another room. The bathroom there was the same-a little cleaner but moldy and flooded when we took a shower. In the first room skylight is too bright and its right over the bed. In the second room, at 8 o'clock in the morning someone was doing construction work right under the window on the wall right at our heads. Breakfast was nice. Beautiful hotel.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Nicosia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

I really cannot believe that there are people who could find anything negative to say about this place. My husband and I just finished a five-week holiday in Morocco, Italy and Spain. Dar El Batoul in Rabat was by far my favorite place. We stayed only four nights and I find myself still wishing to go back "home" to Dar el Batoul.

The staff met us with traditional mint tea, and in our rooms were dried fruit and nuts to welcome us. The place feels like a magical wonderland-- NOT your typical touristy hotel. In fact, you could stay inside the four walls of Dar El Batoul for your entire visit, and still feel as if you had experienced Morocco; and better yet, it is Morocco from that past... Truly unique.

The rooms may not be of 5 star quality if you are only looking for modern ammenidies like fluffy bathrobes and whirl pool bathtubs. But I found I was able to relax here more than any other hotel I have EVER stayed at, what with the birds chirping in the morning, the delicious breakfasts, and very sweet staff who helped us in any way they could with a spirit of TRUE hospitality, not just working because they get paid.

For those of you concerned about room security, there are now locks on the doors, but there is honestly no need for them because the place is so safe. We didn't lock our door at all, and we had a laptop and other valuables with us.

• Liked — The atmosphere- pure magic
  • Disliked — Nothing...?
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
turkey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2008

I am quite surprise to read negative reviews about this Riad and owner. That's why I decided to write.

We (3 women) stayed in Dar Al Batoul 2 nights and enjoyed it. They have different types of rooms. Our rooms were connected to each other and were clean, with nice decoration.

It is true that you can not lock your door from outside and this makes you a bit stressed but we did not have any problem. Owner was very kind and was speaking English. There was another person (maybe manager) who was also speaking English. They had only one staff around and he was helpfull for finding taxi without any cost. All of them were very kind to us. We did not stayed for long time and did not need much service, but it is a small place, not a big hotel with many staffs. Anyway, we liked our stay there. Maybe were lucky or in positive mode :)

Stayed May 2006
cambridge, uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

We were mugged on our last night staying there, only a couple of hundred metres from the riad. There were a number of locals around all of whom looked the other way. The riad isn't in the best part of Rabat. I would suggest anyone going to Rabat stays in the new town where there is much more going on. On this trip we stayed in riads in both Fez and Marrakech both of which were of a much better standard (but similar price) to riad dar al batoul. The owner and the staff were pretty unhelpful.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

The building was nice, but the first room we were shown to contained two tiny single beds. The staff didn't speak English or French and had no idea what to do so rang the owner who was fantastically rude to me on the phone, but did grudgingly change the room.

The following day I wanted some help in hiring a taxi. Staff again had no idea what to do and once again called the proprietor who - after shouting at me - said she could get me a taxi for 1,300Dh. This seemed excessive and indeed I went out and hired a Grand Taxi for the day for 400Dh.

Finally, on the last day the proprietor was actually in the hotel and I asked her if she had a number for the travel agency, who had booked our room with the Riad. She told me that she had no phone number for them which seemed unlikely to me and flatly and curtly refused to help me any further, sitting down and turning her back to me.

It's a nice place but the owner's attitude completely lets it down.

• Liked — Nice place
  • Disliked — Terrible owner
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Dar Al Batoul? Share your experiences!