“A zero star hotel pretending to be a four star hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Oscar Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   429 , Avenue Hassan 2, Rabat 10000, Morocco   |
Ranked #38 of 39 Hotels in Rabat
Taza, Morocco
“A zero star hotel pretending to be a four star hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have been living in Morocco for over two years and this is by far the worst hotel I have encountered. I am a Peace Corps volunteer- I signed up for hardship however I really hope PCHQ in Morocco isn't paying a lot to put 20 something of us up for a week give or take.

This hotel used to know by a different name - The Dahia.

Appearance - (See My photos and other customer photos of the hotel to really see what rooms and the hotel is REALLY like)
This hotel has the veneer of a remodel but its a poor quality - DIY one. Headboards are simply painted over with black paint with a small decorative wood thing glued on. The tile job in the bathroom was poorly done with bad finishing with the caulking material not being wiped off the tile.

In the lobby there are signs on the support pillars of severe water damage. The wood panels are warped and discolored.

Service - Many of the staff who work at the hotel either have intermediate to advanced low skills in English. If you use Moroccan - Arabic they are surprised and happy to help you work on your language skills. French is also used by the front desk staff.

The service of the front desk staff was ok - when I asked for the remote to the A/C and the TV (which they do not leave in the room for guests) they promptly brought them up. However when I requested a second key to the room - in a typical Moroccan fashion first excuses were made until I was extremely direct with them and ask can you give me a second key - yes or no? So don't expect a second key to your room.

When the A/C unit didn't respond to the remote - they just told me the A/C was broken - which it was and figured out it has a circuit board error after finding the fuse box and turning the switch on - and doing a quick google search to figure out the code that was blinking on the units display panel.

I personally along with another PCV had the maids barge into our rooms without knocking - in the case of the other PCV he was in the shower and didn't hear her come in - lucky him he was wearing a towel when he left the bathroom to be surprised by the maid.

I had the maids barge in my room twice - without knocking. Needless to say - lock up your valuables in your luggage as I don't trust people who don't even have the manners to knock before coming in my hotel room uninvited.

Cleanliness-
First after watching a 20/20 special - most hotels never clean the bed spread unless its obviously dirty. In the case of my 3-4 day stay at this hotel the maids only made the bed but never changed the sheets or the bed spread.

The tub/shower combo looks like it hadn't been scrubbed in QUITE sometime - thank goodness I travel always with flip flops to shower in.

Both times the maids barged in the room - "cleaning" consisted of organizing things on the flat surfaces, making the beds, removing the trash from the trash bin (that didn't even have a liner) and dragging a wet "mop" across the tile floor. The maid offered to give us more tolietries (ie - small shampoo and bar of soap) but that was just because I was in the room both times she barged in - other times - tolietries weren't replaced.

I am also not sure about the towels - I asked for extra towels and the maids flat out refused to give extra towels. I and my fellow PCV wanted extra towels to put on the floor in the bathroom so that it wasn't a swamp after we took a shower. Finally after explaining this - one of the maid relented and gave us the "rug" towel for the bathroom floor.

For those with allergies - specifically mold allergies - this hotel is going to make you sick if you aren't taking allergy medicine - even then it could make you sick. The hallways smell of damp and mold as does the elevator that is farthest from the door in the lobby. I experimented with Febreeze and it didn't help the mold smell in the elevator.

Food -
We were given a complimentary breakfast all of the days we stayed at the hotel. However -
what was the reality of this breakfast? It was supposed to be served 8 - 10am. I would arrive promptly at 8 and nothing would be out. It would only be by 8:30 that any food or drinks began to appear and the options were limited - olives, pastries and yogurt.

One day a tour group from Russia was staying at the hotel - they came to the breakfast - took massive amounts of food to their tables and left nothing for the other guests who arrived after them including other individuals from their tour group. My self and other PCV had to go downstairs into the kitchen to get new clean plates, cups and more food - as there was only one hotel staff replenishing the breakfast buffet. When we came back up all the Russians from the tour group grabbed the plates and cups we brought up - although we were there first AND we were helping them out - leaving us with nothing yet again. Once the tour group started to leave it became apparent they had hoarded food from the buffet - specifically yogurts that other guest could have been eating - as I and other PCV's started to bus the tables to help the poor single hotel staff left to bus and replenish the breakfast bar.

Amenities-
The TV in our room worked - once we got the remote from the reception desk.
A/C did not work and needs to be repaired
Hot water was plentiful - although I was aware from reading other reviews - the hot water is NOT consistant floor to floor. We were on the fourth floor.
Mini Fridge - it worked but hadn't been cleaned in forever and was empty so if you wanted to put anything in it you could.
WiFi - was only accessible in the lobby not in anyone's room unless you bring your own USB modem.
Hair Dryer - there was one but I or my fellow PCV never used it - so we can't say if it worked or not.

Noise level - Our room on the fourth floor was extremely noisy due to the sounds from the street outside and the two A/C compressors located on our balcony - we couldn't change that because we had to keep our balcony door open 24/7 not to sweat to death. However other PCV's located on the 7th floor said they didn't have as much street noise.

A final thing to be aware of is the fact non of the bathrooms have fans or venting to the outside - so once you steam up the bathroom - you want to leave you balcony door open to let out the steam and prevent your room from being humid.

This hotel also has NO POOL OR FITNESS CENTER.

So I would personally suggest - saving your money and going to a different hotel - its not worth it to spend money and be unhappy IMO.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel or if you HAVE to stay here - ask to see the room before you pay - so you...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel wasn't very good. A bit shabby, with a staff that tried its best but couldn't really handle our wished. The key to my room didn't work, and neither did the toilet of a colleague in another room. At night it was noisy and I could hear the television in the room next to me loud en clear.

When I tried to pay for three coffee, with my taxi waiting outside, and only had a 200 dirham note, it took 15 minutes and 9 people to get the change. Crazy.

There was some Wifi available, but not on the floor where we stayed.

Showers were pretty good though, and the rooms ok. So I wouldn't go back, but it's not the worst hotel ever either.

Room Tip: Streetside is noisy...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

my friend stay there for 6 night i was visit him many time
its not internet WIFI in room and no A/C and many time during in day and night the electracte goes off and these hotel was rated as 4 stars but in the real u didnt give him 2 stars and there is constrations and its very loud and my friend ask them to return the money to him the refuse and finaly he leave the hotel without get anything from them

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Hotel Oscar was dreadful.

Initially they had no record of our booking although we booked/confirmed with our English tour company in September - (who booked our flights, hotels train etc.) - hotel said I would have to pay for the room. The manager arrived with the comformation fax!

The bedroom had I light bulb only - water did not drain away from basin/bath -
We were shown 2 other rooms - one smelt so bad we chose one at the back of the hotel which looked onto flats and flat roofs etc. BUT I have to say the beds in that room were very comfortable.(2 double beds)

The next day we had no hot or even warm water. Basin water ran on to floor. Asked reception about this - was told “Ah your room does not have hot water” So why put us in it!

So we then had to use the original room just for washing - leaving the bath water in the bath!!! - Much to the annoyance of the room lady. We did not want to pack and change rooms yet again. We’d spent one day on the train from Tangier and didn’t want to repack

The beds were made every morning - but no cleaning done - towels were grey.
We handed the room card key in to reception - but the girl "lost" it - so the house keeper had to open the door.
We meet the manager who said he would get the hot water fixed - but nothing was done.

In both rooms no lock or even handle on the balcony door so security was non existant - half inch gap around the door - heavy curtains just “blew in the wind”

Breakfast was 6.30 - 10 or 6 - 10.30 - we always went down at 9 but all coffee, orange juice, bread was gone - sometimes they managed to find some for us!

The last morning we went down at 7 - but the breakfast had not been set out only pastries!

In the restaurant on the last morning - we were meet by a cat walking out of the kitchen and TWO PILES OF CAT FECES on the floor- we asked it to be removed - which the kitchen staff did - but we were put off the food then - WHEN it did arrive.

I gather the hotel has been revamped but I don’t know what bit of the hotel had been revamped - I dread to think what it was like before!
In hindsight we should have rung to have our hotel changed - but we just had 5 nights there and you think Oh we have changed rooms it will be better now - then it just goes on and on. - by which time it’s too late to change - yet more packing just for a couple of days.

I know on a budget we do not expect the Ritz but the basics should be there - it made such an impression on us - we never want to go back to Rabat or even Morocco again (we have been to Morocco many times) have always had the budget end of hotels but the Oscar was dreadful and yes it is a very scruffy street.
I tend to take some of these reviews “with a pinch of salt” and think it “can’t be that bad” The Oscar is that bad!

Room Tip: Don't stay in any room!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times for work purposes, and every time there is a problem. The rooms, we've come to expect, always smell like mildew and are barely cleaned. Reviews about this hotel being oddly wet are true and current. You should expect housekeeping staff to come in early, unannounced, and often, and AC may or may not work. The beds are great; I've never had a poor night's sleep at the Oscar. Other perks: most rooms have balconies, the lobby usually has fast wifi, and there is an easily accessible restaurant. The reason for the poor rating of this hotel comes from the terrible, terrible service. I'm never one to complain, but the staff have continued to ignore comments of dissatisfaction, even if there is a very simple solution. Rather than inconveniencing the other staff or the manager, they prefer to inconvenience a guest. In my situation, the reception staff refused to wake the manager (or give me his number so I could call him directly) in order to retrieve a key needed to unlock my luggage from his office. They continued to tell me "he will be here in 10 minutes", which went on for 2 hours, despite my urgency and the insistence that they fix the situation. The laziness and unprofessionalism at the Oscar almost caused me to miss my flight.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Naples, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was the worst "4 stars" experience I've ever had. The place is far from the center, the rooms, corridors even the elevators were smelling like mildew, and for a reason, the place was DRENCHED. There was a strange viscid something on the room floor (moist probably) the beds were humid and cold, and in the morning a bad surprise! It was impossible to put the tub tap in shower mode probably because it was rusty... the staff was alright I don't want to complain about it, but you just cannot manage a place in these conditions.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Oscar Hotel? Share your experiences!