“Moroccan hospitality? Not here.” 2 of 5 stars

Royal Hotel Rabat
1 Rue Amman bp 175, Rabat 10000, Morocco   |
Ranked #20 of 37 hotels in Rabat
Meknes
“Moroccan hospitality? Not here.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

My husband and I have been living in Morocco for 6 years and have come to know what to expect from less expensive Moroccan hotels. While the Royal has a great location, it is definitely missing the sense of hospitality we've found elsewhere. We stayed one night in Rabat to see a performance. The Royal is well situated, between the train station and the National Theater. I'm not sure what staff the reviewers who described a "friendly, helpful" staff met, but they certainly weren't working the night I was there. I felt as if I was disturbing the front desk staff by checking in. We were never even greeted, just asked for passports and payment. Basically, instead of looking at guests, the staff just looked through us. The rooms are adequate but nothing special. Baths are very small but clean and there was hot water. There is a small unstocked fridge and a tiny wall-mounted TV with no remote. The AC/heating worked erratically and couldn't keep the room at a constant temperature. Breakfast was fine with fresh-squeezed orange juice and plenty of food. The hotel does not seem to have wifi anywhere - something that is now very common in most Moroccan hotels. One important thing for visitors to note is that the hotel takes neither credit cards nor checks and demands payment in advance. The best thing about the hotel is the location and the worst - which will keep me from ever booking again - is the staff and non-existent hospitality.

Room Tip: Try to book a room that does not face the mosque unless you are an early (5:00 am) riser. Be sure to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights and choose it for its location. It is only 5 minutes walk from the train station and again 5 minutes to the medina.

The staff are very friendly and helpful with any advice required.

Breakfast was included and it was of a better standard than elsewhere in Morocco during my trip. It was also freshly prepared, which was a nice touch.

The rooms are spacious and were clean, and they are quiet apart from the mosque calling. I think its part of the charm of being in Morocco, but others may find it off putting?

The bathroom was clean and provided all that is required.

Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I stayed here for a night in October 2011. While my room was clean and the hotel centrally located, I found it overpriced in comparison to other options in the area. I paid about 550 dirhams for a en suite single for one night. To be fair I should point out that the room had a tv and air conditioning both of which I did not use - I suppose if you watch tv and come in the summer these amenities might make this hostel a good choice.

My room had an en suite bathroom, a small desk, a double bed, a small refrigerator, a small tv, and some doors/large shutters that opened onto a street. Traffic wasn't too loud on the street, but the call to prayer from the nearby mosque was too loud to sleep through - it woke me up at 5am. The hotel has a restaurant (breakfast was included in my room price) and a nice seating area with tv and free wifi (no wifi in my room). It's about a 5-8 minute walk to the Rabat Ville train station and just a few blocks from the medina. Lots of shops, cafes, and restaurants are in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a room that does not open to the nearby mosque - you'll sleep better.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed here in December 11. I arrived late in the evening and just looked for any hotels I could find. This was one of several hotels I looked at. Great central location. Only a 5-8 min walk from train station and same distance to medina area. Room cost around 480 MD/£37 for a double room (off the rack price). Nothing fancy about the hotel but perfectly fine for a good nights sleep. Bed was comfortable with clean white sheets, bed throw was clean, though covering blanket had seen better days. My room overlooked a side street and had a balcony. I didn't find the room noisy. Bathroom was clean but a bit small and I would agree with other posts about the shower area, which is 'walk in' and part of the rest of the bathroom divided by a shower curtain with a slightly lowered floor. Breakfast staff were very friendly, helpful and were happy to cook a hot breakfast accompanied with tea, juice, pastries and a bottle of water. They may have offered yogurts and fresh fruit but i didn't ask. The hotel also offers free wi free. Wi fi all worked fine, including in my room. Check out is around mid day. Overall - only half a notch - below any of the budget chain hotels - but for the location and cost, a decent enough hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you agree to stay. If you're staying several days or longer, book by...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Keaau, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

My wife and I arrived in Rabat (our first stop in Morocco) in the last afternoon. We had flown into Casablanca from Madrid, and taken two trains from the airport to Rabat station. We arrived with no reservations and the intention of staying at the Hotel Splendid on advice from the Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor. Unfortunately, the Splendid would have been just fine for me when I traveled as a backpacker, but those days are past.

We ended up staying at the Royal because we really needed a comfortable room after our long day of travel. Our initial impression was that the hotel was very nice. We had a small balcony that looked out on a quiet side street and across at the nearby mosque. At the time we thought little of the annoying fact that we needed to move the rug at the foot of the bed in order to open the doors to the balcony. However, it soon became apparent that our small room had other quirks. The small refrigerator that was recently added (and the person who showed me the room proudly pointed out) fit poorly under the dressing table. Its presence meant that it was impossible to pull the chair out from under the table. Moreover, there was no electrical outlet into which to plug the refrigerator. We move the unit under the bathroom counter where it fit and where we could plug it in. Speaking of the bathroom, it had a shower (no bathtub) whose floor was only slightly lower than that to the bathroom as a whole. This might have worked to contain the shower water, if the shower floor had sloped properly to the drain. Unfortunately, it did not, so some water spilled onto the bathroom floor. Not enough to annoy, but enough to confirm the pattern of this hotel.

The included breakfast was tasty and generous, and all the staff were helpful and cheerful, and the hotel was a short walk from the train station.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

This one of the few reasonably priced hotels that had availability when we were there in April. It is within a few blocks to the train station and central to the major attractions around Rabat. Our room was small and the furnishings were modest. The room had a small balcony which overlooked a quiet park. Nothing special but nothing to complain about. We looked at several rooms before choosing the one we selected. One of the rooms had a large balcony but faced the busier street, and the sun. Ours was smaller, quieter and on the shadier side.

Rabat was a refreshing change from Fes and Marrakech - no hassle factor, no one was expecting a fee for taking a photo and no one was offering a hard sell once you showed the slightest interest in items in a shop. Fes and Marrakech could take some lessons from this town. Rabat had plenty of places to see and do to easily fill up a day. It was a pleasant and, admittedly, unexpected surprise.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have stayed at the Royal several times, the first was about seven years ago. The Royal is several steps above basic by Moroccan standards and is located in the very heart of Rabat. Parliment and cafes just a block or so away and just a few blocks from the Medina. Balcony rooms are very pleasant indeed. The balconies overlooking the garden and mosque do welcome the calls to prayer but such is Morocco. The room I recently had facing the street was not noisy when I shut the doors to the balcony. Travelers who remember the surley men who searved breakfast in the past will be happy to find that, as of this year, they have been replaced by a warm and gracious female staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Royal Hotel Rabat? Share your experiences!